Will this Keynote be a Turning Point for Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Perhaps a bit over dramatized, but if Apple disappoints with a mere iPhone 4 refresh, I seen the golden lining wearing off Apple armor. Everyone I know has already moved on from Apple to Android produces because Apple is already seen as falling behind in the smartphone wars. I don't care about 'sales' but perception. Sales might be fantastic right now, but will they hold out past a few months? Another year with the same case and 3.5" screen can't be good for the iPhone's image or Apple's long-term prospects.

Thoughts?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Thats where I stopped.

3. BriChi macrumors 6502

I think if some of the rumors are true, a lot of people will be disappointed, For me personally, If I only see a 4s speed bump and then a revamped awesome iPhone 5 exclusive to Sprint, I will start looking around at a bigger screened phone other than an iPhone, Of course I know this will not hurt Apple and they can care less what I do, But if after all this time the "4" just get a speed bump and better camera, i'm out.... Of course a redesigned antenna would be nice :)

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

You could be right, given those circumstances, but I'm very confident that even if apple only releases an updated 4 there will be a killer feature that everyone will want.

5. dakshjuneja macrumors newbie

i am really hoping they don't disappoint....

it does though feel like it will only be Upgrades from iPhone 4 to bigger and better things in terms of processor (software) and screen size (hardware), as rumors suggests

6. BriChi macrumors 6502

right, i think the real killer (good or bad depending on your service) is if they do a great revamp called the 5 on sprint only, that would suck....

Also I am hoping they don't make this all about ios5 again, we already know what it can do and I am not impressed enough to make me stay with the original 4's screen size, a 3 second JB and we can do a lot more now then we will be able to when ios5 is out. Again, this is just me, a lot of people have all different opinions

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

I agree. I see a 4s leading to a decline. Will Apple sell a lot? Yes. Will Apple make tons of money? Yes. Will android gain ground with phones that actually work, like the GS2? YES

8. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

this is where i stopped

"bit over dramatized"

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I want the "5" with a bigger screen and LTE. However, if they announce an update today as a place holder until the real "5" is ready sometime by summer 2012, I'm fine with that and don't mind waiting. Even if they release the mac daddy phone on Sprint first (I'm on VZW), that is fine also as long as I know it's coming to the other carriers within 6 months. However, if they announce an updated "4" today with no plans for a larger screen and LTE in the near future, then I'm just going to have to give up on my iPhone dreams and continue on with Android. I REALLY hope the later does not happen.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

And that's all that matters.

11. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I guess I fail to understand the attitude that Apple will still sell a lot of phones. I agree BTW...for now. Which phone to buy is just a fashion statement at this point. It 's impossible to argue that Apple has anything worthwhile that the GS2 doesn't......except customer perception that Apple is the best.

If they lose that mojo they become common and that is not good. Don't forget we are looking at even more fantastic android phones very soon that 4S/5 will have to contend with. If it's a 4S it's a corporate implosion of nearly unprecedented magnitude.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Whatever phone they release, a year from now it will have set record sales numbers again, and Apple will still be the market leader.

13. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Will all these rumours swirlling around, I feel that there will obviously be the 4S as mooted, as well as an announcement of the iPhone 5 with release (at least in reasonably large quantities) no later than Q1 2012. The latter might be available in small quantities earlier, but for the worldwide business model the 4S might be more important in terms of sales numbers.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

No because most consumers are igorant and dont even understand what the technology inside the product is.

15. BlindMellon thread starter macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Of course you guys missed the whole point, which was to discuss the situation.

As an example, Nokia was king of the heap forever until they started being seen as falling behind the competition. It happens.

16. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

We're a small minority that are actually thinking about 4s vs 5, most people will just hear new iPhone better camera and think oh cool.

Also it's obvious the big 'killer' feature is going to be Assistant, that's the thing they will hope everybody wants the iPhone 4S for.

Not me though I'm in the minority that care about a bigger screen.

17. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Is the lining on the inside, or the outside? :confused:

*edit*

Also..."everyone you know" has switched to Android from iPhone? Really? That strikes me as an exaggeration.

18. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I think most of the disappointment would come from the super die-hard apple fans and I'm not so sure that if they're disappointed that they stop being super die-hard fans because one phone doesn't live up to what they think it should be.

19. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Apple is not Nokia. No offense, but what do you think goes on at Apple? You think they don't have people analyze their competition, don't have R&D, and that they just sit stagnant? Clearly they're doing something right if Apple walked into the cellphone industry out of nowhere & completely changed the game in less than 3 years.

If people who are willing to switch from an iPhone to a bigger screen Android, I'm guessing these people were never the ones Apple wanted as customers to begin with.

Just from a logical standpoint, the iPhone is Apple's main source of revenue; do you honestly think no one at the company keeps that in mind? It's not like random MacRumors forum members would have such a unique perspective that one of the VPs at Apple don't.

20. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Yeah, this point tends to get lost (not unsurprisingly) in discussions of this nature (in an online forum dedicated to people who actually care about any of this).

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Was it because they were being seen as falling behind? Or was it because they actually started falling behind?

22. NornIron macrumors newbie

NornIron

Hi
    Will there be anywhere online to watch this Keynote?
    Any links?
    Cheers

23. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

It is actually both with your latter statement probably preceding the former. Until the iPhone, there was not much emphasis on smartphone share as opposed to total share of phones sold. Even then, it would be a couple of years at least later, when there was a more stark demarcation of the two.

When the smartphone market started grabbing more and more share of total phone sales then one could see the plummeting of Nokia.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

Wait, I'm confused. The iPhone 4S isn't going to work?

25. Krandor macrumors 6502

engadget livebloh

----------

LOL! It seems like all teh android fanboys have decended on this place to atttack a phone that hasn't even been announced yet. It is quite funny.