Will this mixer work with a MBP?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mparkes, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mparkes macrumors member

mparkes

I am looking for a litle mixer for a 2 mic setup (recording a piano) to recrd direct to my MBP, and found someone locally selling a Rolls RM67 rack mount 3 mic mixer for $50. Will the audio out from this be compatible with the Mac's audio in?

The output specs on the unit are:

Output Level: +17 dBV max
    Output Impedance: 51 ohms

Attached Files:

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The MBP has a standard line input. As a piece of pro audio gear the unbalanced outputs will be nominally line level. So I don't see a problem.

You'll see best results from an external soundcard rather than the MBP's somewhat mediocre, lower-end / midrange Windows laptop equivalent audio.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Sounds like all you are doing is using the mixer as a pair of pre-amps and maybe it's phantom power if those are condenser mics. You'd get better result with an outboard audio interface but if the goal is to just hear what you played it will do well enough.

4. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Yea, just depends on what your goal is. If it's something that is to be released, you'd wanna go for quality. You'd be better off just picking up a MIDI controller for $150 and using the virtual instruments in Garageband