will this ram work in a 2009 mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CSHawkeye81, Sep 26, 2009.

1. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That appears to be the correct RAM specs. VERY good price BTW...

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Indeed, I just checked crucial UK and the same RAM was almost £800!!! INSANE.

Also, big laughs at their calling it 'SDRAM'.

4. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

5. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

7. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

How much of a performance hit would I take with it??

8. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I have no idea. That assumes it works at all. If it were me, I would cancel the order and buy memory that is recommended for the application by the manufacturer.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Registered RAM increases the latency by one clock cycle. In RAM terms that's a lot, but the added benefit is stability.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Wow, that is a great price for 4 GB sticks. Thinking about putting in the order for my '09 quad, let me know how things work out :D

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

""Registered" is a means of "Buffering" the memory in SDRAM. This means that the clock signal is boosted across the entire array of memory chips so that the computer sees a clean sharp clock signal instead of a weakening clock signal as it progresses along the length of the memory path. Registered memory must be supported by the system board and cannot be mixed with "Unbuffered" modules. You must have only Registered memory to use Registered memory. This is a further means of eliminating the possibility of errors when reading the data in memory and is used when the data returned from memory is extremely critical, such as in scientific or financial calculations where the integrity of the data is CRITICAL. It also allows a module to be built using more chips, allowing for larger capacity modules to be made."

Found that, apparently the RAM will be a tad slower, because it is built for integrity in servers and not commercial use. Such a shame, that was a fantastic price on those modules. Oh well, back to eBay I go!

12. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Are you sure it works? The Mac Pro only accepts 1.5V modules. 90%+ Tri-channel ddr3 sets are 1.65V. That's why its fairly difficult to find the right ram. Sure 1.65V ram would work, but its not rated to run at 1.5V (which it will have to), and thus you are risking memory stability.

Or if its 1.5V then that's a VERY good deal. The problem is that higher voltage ram is always cheaper.

EDIT: Just checked, these are 1.5V modules. You got a very good deal, as their msrp is $539 according to Crucial's website. Here: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT3KIT51272BB1067

BTW, don't rush so quick to make a purchase next time without fully knowing the specs. You could have accidentally ordered $375 of memory paperweight.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I forgot to mention, but Mac Pro's need RAM with an Apple certified thermal sensor.

If you buy RAM without a thermal sensor, your fans will spin wildly at full RPM because it thinks you RAM is overheating.

14. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the heads off, going to stick with the 8gb I have already.

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Can anyone verify this? I have seen many people go with 3rd party RAM to no ill effect.

16. fandsw macrumors regular

OWC specifically says their MP4,1 RAM has an Apple certified sensor, so yes, there is 3rd party RAM with this.