Will Verizon delay iOS 5 roll out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superAl1394, Jun 5, 2011.

1. superAl1394 macrumors newbie

Verizon seems to have completely nixed iOS 4.3 for the CDMA phones, but will iOS 5 get delayed in the same fashion? I'm going to be slightly irritated if that happens.

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Verizon has nothing to do with the distribution of iOS on the iPhone. The only reason the Verizon iPhone isn't on the same release as the GSM iPhone is because it's a different team. iOS 5 is probably the unification.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well said.
    Verizon doesn't do anything with the distribution of software updates on the iPhone. I believe that is the case with Android though.

4. superAl1394 thread starter macrumors newbie

This I was aware of. They also control the roll out for BBOS as well. I feel like Verizon has some say in this however, because it seems ridiculous that they haven't been keeping them on the same version.

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

Think of it, like the iPad. The iPad wasn't on 4.0 till around 4 months after the iPhone. It was 4.2.1 that unified it all.

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

From my understanding CDMA and GSM iPhones are not on the same version because of the difference in the baseband (due to the different chips). Since the rumors of a dual mode GSM/CDMA phone are floating around, I am sure iOS 5 will unify the GSM and CDMA iPhones.

7. icstars989 macrumors member

They do it with Android and BBOS because they're OTA updates, iOS up to this point doesn't support OTAs so no, VZW has nothing to do with iOS updates.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

verizon didn't nix it...4.3 was never made for CDMA phones by apple. It is the GSM version of the firmware the vzw phone shipped with