Will Verizon iPhone Customers Be Able To Upgrade Sooner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Feb 11, 2011.

?

What are you going to do?

1. Buy the Verizon iPhone 4 now, and upgrade next year!

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Buy the Verizon iPhone 4 now, and upgrade in the summer!

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Wait for the iPhone 5 this summer, (Not knowing if it's going to be for Verizon or not)

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I've been a Verizon customer for almost 2 years now, and I have been eligible for an upgrade since December (but decided to wait and see if the iPhone was really coming this year for Verizon).

I got my phone in April of 09, which means that I was able to upgrade my phone after owning it for 20 months.

Will the same be possible when owning an iPhone on Verizon?

The way I see it, I don't think there will be many big upgrades this year for the iPhone (ie, 3G -> 3GS), and that it will just probably be an iPhone 4S. Next year (imo), will be the major upgrade cosmetic wise, with a potentially bigger screen, and LTE service.

So, I figured:
    -Buy the iPhone 4 on Verizon in February.
    -Skip the iPhone 4S/5 in July.
    -Get the iPhone 4G/6 in October.

That way, the iPhone will be just 3 months "old' by the time I get it.

Is anyone else going to do it like this, or are you just going to sell your iPhone 4 and buy the new one this summer?

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The only answer i think you'll get is "probably".

Verizon won't want to risk losing any market share to people who want to get their LTE on early (especially since they plan to promote VoLTE in the future as their call platform).

Early adopters of the iPhone 4 will probably get early upgrade options. Those who pick it up in June/July I'd say is 50/50 on whether they will get some type of deal (like ATT has done in the past).

Post June/July I figure you're on your own.

Note: The summer iPhone refresh is almost guaranteed to be both Verizon/ATT. The Verizon iPhone is already running the dual GSM/CDMA chip (only utilizing the CDMA functions, and obviously no SIM option). So they've already got the chip in play with their OS and simply need to enable the correct functionality this summer w/ their new hardware tweaks.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

My wife just told me she was watching a local consumer show. They suggested not to get the iPhone 4 now because the iPhone 5 will be out June/July.

4. naples09 macrumors member

I bought my Droid Incredible in May 2010 and plan to keep it until Verizon has the 4G iPhone. I hope that's next Feb or July.

My wife just got the iPhone and my DInc gets better data speeds than her iPhone.

5. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I picked up the iphone 4 and will be waiting for the iphone 6/7 when LTE is everywhere and standard. I really doubt the iphone 5 won't be a significant upgrade.

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

7. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

But why would Verizon do this?

Don't you think it's a bit ****ed up to lock millions of people in a contract for a phone, and then release a newer one 4 months later?

If Anything, I think it will be like this:

At&t gets their iPhone 4S this June.
    Verizon get their iPhone 4s in November.
    And then both carriers get a refresh in June 2012?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right, because they forced you to buy the phone, didn't they? You couldn't have waited or anything....I love how people are always talking about how company X screwed them in their contract or because they couldn't get a phone. It's a choice people, no one is making you do anything.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

With the track record of Apple releasing new versions same time every year if I was with Verizon I would have waited.

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Didn't Verizon cancel it's upgrade program? I'm pretty sure you'd be stuck for the two years.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm skeptical. I can't see a separate release for both carriers. On AT&T I get what's called an iPhone early upgrade @ $399 every year. However I'm leaning towards buying my next at full retail from apple and getting a no contract/ month to month.

12. dnjs, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

dnjs macrumors member

I'm not sure if they cancelled it completely. Before Jan/Feb this year, I was able to get an early upgrade after 13 months; now it's 20 months. But since we have two lines, one is eligible for an upgrade in Apr 2012. The other one that was initially upgraded to the iPhone is eligible in Oct 2012. Although 20 months is close to 2 years, so thankfully one of the lines is eligible in Apr 2012. :)

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What I like about Verizon is they have 1 year contract. With a 1 year contract each phone on a 1 year contract would be eligible for upgrades in 10 months. Since I work for the company I work for a 1 year contract cost $30 extra versus $70. But unfortunately it doesn't apply to the iPhone.

14. dnjs macrumors member

A one year contract for the iPhone would be nice... just to have more options when deciding to upgrade. :)

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon didn't force anyone to buy the iPhone. Not to mention, there's like a new Android out every 2 weeks.

16. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

I just dumped my droid x for the iPhone. I will most likely wait for LTE to be available in my area before upgrading again. Unless the next iPhone is greatly improved.

17. kardiackeith macrumors member

Does anyone have any idea where ATT is at with developing their LTE/4g network?

Wasn't it rumored that they were a year behind Verizon in development?

I think the next iPhone gets a spec upgrade along with IOS 5.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Verizon had not changed the upgrade date of those who are currently under contract with them and who don't own an iPhone, why would anyone think that they'll be so moved to change people's upgrade dates.

If you're on a two year contract you'll not be able to upgrade until the end of the normal period, i.e., in two years

19. iserian macrumors 6502

At this point, granted it's I have only had the VIphone since Monday, I could not imagine getting rid of my Droid X and using this as my primary/Only phone - read business use.

If the Iphone "NEXT" has LTE then I'm buying - if not then probably not.

20. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I will bet it won't, i think apple will wait till most have it even if it sucks.because most have 4G just not LTE

21. iMaven, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Since the termination fee is $350US, I don't want to give Verizon more money. I'll upgrade to LTE in 2013 when there's more coverage...unless they have a promotion offering a 4G unlimited data plan.

22. zenio macrumors 6502

Based on a decade with Verizon, I'm sure they will work with Apple to have an upgrade in place this time next year. The problem however is that Verizon is not flexible, so most people will be stuck for two years with this model.

23. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats the thing, Verizon is flexible!

When I got my Samsung Glyde in April 2009, I was eligible for an upgrade this past December, that's 20 months, instead of the full 2 years.

So my question is: When buying the iPhone 4 for Verizon this month, will you be able to upgrade in 20 months, or will you have to wait the full 2 years?

24. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

OP

Your poll is missing 2 full years.

That's my vote-buy today, upgrade when iPhone 7 is out. For no upgrade fee that is.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's Verizon normal practice. A 1 year contract is eligible in 10 months and a 2 year is eligible in 20 months... Nothing new.