Will we finally get the apple podcast app for the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Sep 26, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Rumours are it could come in October with the music player being able to be used

I mean if we are leaving our phone at home surely apple must realise that those who like podcasts this is a must?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4. madgalaxy macrumors member

I would assume it is listen to an podcast.

5. airjay75 macrumors regular

I sure hope so. I’d be surprised if it rolls out at the same time as Apple Music does, buy we can hope!

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

7. airjay75 macrumors regular

Has this app worked for you on Watch OS 4? I just downloaded it and am trying to upload a podcast to my AW. So far, the wheel just keeps spinning. Reviews in the App Store seem to mixed as to whether this app actually works.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

They did have an issue with playback on OS4 which is (was) supposed to be resolved with an update per the author's blog page. Haven't run with it since the update hit a couple days ago.

I'm able to transfer stuff over; remember you have to have the app open on the watch as well. It's not speedy on the AW2, but it does work.

9. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

10. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I was tempted to trade up to an AW3 but the lack of independent podcast support is a dealbreaker for me.

11. airjay75 macrumors regular

Thanks, deeddawg. I was able to get a podcast successfully transferred to my AW using watch cast! It was a little tricky - as you said, I had to keep the watch cast app open and then I also needed to put my AW on a charger before the sync would start. Some FAQs on this website for anyone else: https://brianmcburney.github.io/

12. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Does their app sync podcast for offline access when the phone isn’t present?

13. powerslave65, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

15. perezr10, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it can be wonky. I load podcasts onto my watch with WatchPlayer for my runs. I swipe right in Workout while I’m out running to adjust the volume for my AirPods. I do this every day and it’s great.

But if you hit play/pause in Workout you might accidentally start a different podcast going. Or your current podcast starts over. So you end up with two different podcasts playing simultaneously.

Because of the bugs I’m going to try WatchCast.

16. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

My wife would absolutely replace her original Apple Watch with the Series 3 LTE if Apple or a 3rd party vendor can develop an app that allows you to stream podcasts over LTE on the watch. That's all she listens to.

17. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

That’s awesome - I’ll be mindful of that - my Series 3 comes in later this week, my original series 0 Apple Watch doesn’t appear to work with the WatchPlayer app, guessing because it can barely run apps at this point lol
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Workouts++’s developer is working on adding this, he has a beta of that up and running

18. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't know. I don't use it without my iPhone.

19. Fastskis macrumors newbie

Fastskis

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Good question, I found a podcast app called “Watch Player”, allows you to upload podcasts to watch. It is slow to upload and a little flaky, but does work. Cheers

20. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

It does but it’s a pain having to download each time to listen

21. loplop macrumors newbie

I really, really want this to happen (native podcast app). I listen to a lot of podcasts while riding my bike & walking my dog, and don't want to fiddle with syncing. Please, Apple!!

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

I use WatchCast in conjunction with NikeRunClub while running with just my AW2. I really enjoy the Podrunner music mixes which come out as podcasts.

Here's what works for me: I keep WatchCast in the watch Dock, right next to NikeRunClub. This makes for easy access.

When walking out to start a run I first start NRC and immediately pause it. Intention is to give it a little bit of time to fine tune the GPS fix. Tap the side-button to open the dock and select WatchCast. Choose what I want to listen to, start it playing, stretch a little, then when ready to go switch to NRC with a double-press on the crown and unpause.

Just did a lunchtime run with the latest WatchCast update and it worked great. My Mpow Cheetah headphones have volume controls and play/pause on the headset and control the WatchCast playback.

(yes for some reason it seems that NRC doesn't autopause until you've actually covered some distance)

23. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

This. We should be able to select a handful of podcasts and the AppleWatch just takes care of always having the most recent episode loaded. Anything that requires manually loading each episode is broken in my eyes.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. ... but until good functionality comes out I'll continue to get by with the clunky imperfect solution as it's still better than the alternative of no standalone podcasts on the watch

25. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Download onto your iPhone?