Will we finally get the apple podcast app for the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Xarthan macrumors regular

Xarthan

What's a podcast?

j/k I would love this feature :(

2. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I don’t think podcasts will be supported by Apple until Series 4 at the earliest. Wireless transfers are too slow, even with the Series 3. Only diehards would put up with 15 minutes per podcast. Most people would bitch and moan about how slow it is. And the Series 2 takes well over an hour per podcast.

The hardware needs to get upgraded to Bluetooth 5.0 which would allow for much faster transfer speeds.

3. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I’d love this. While they’re at it, I’d also love a native ibooks audiobooks app too. K

4. powerslave65, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

powerslave65 macrumors regular

powerslave65

Curious if WatchCast is significantly better than WatchPlayer? Since you must pay to subscribe to more than 2 podcasts. I don't mind paying if better as long as it is but the reviews were less than stellar.

5. deeddawg, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

deeddawg macrumors 604

Try it out. The ($3?) upgrade in WatchCast is only if you want automatic subscription downloads t your phone for more two podcasts. You can still try it out with just two, and download other manually (I think).

I have both but like the transfer interface of WatchCast better. With that said, I haven't used WatchPlayer in while of months so there may be updates I've not played with.

6. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’d agree with you on the transfer thing. I downloaded Watchcast earlier and tried to transfer a podcast to my watch for a run. I could never figure it out and went back to WatchPlayer. I’ll try it again tomorrow when I’m in less of a hurry.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Actually, it's funny but I typo'd the above. I preferred the WatchCast transfer interface better. :)

That said, it looks like WatchPlayer recently went to v2.0 a few days ago; my experience with it was the v1.x versions and I've not explored the v2.0 version.

Again, I recommend folks try both and see which they prefer. Either way, reward the developer for whichever one you prefer.

8. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Not sure I understand what you're saying about it taking too long to transfer. The functionality is currently available for songs to be synced to the watch, along with Apple Music functionality coming soon in 4.1 where you could stream songs directly from the watch. And I would assume that music is generally has a lot higher bitrate than podcasts. So ideally, native podcast functionality would work the same where you can transfer or stream.

I got my Nike AW cellular yesterday and went out for a run without my phone and I was itching to listen to my podcasts...

9. bradbomb macrumors regular

100% cannot be the reason. If wireless transfers were too slow, than Apple Music wouldn't be available to stream "40 million songs" as the ad says. Most podcasts are at lower bitrates than high-fidelity, albeit lossy compression, m4a music files. This could have been implemented even with Series 0 the same way playlist syncing was happening on WatchOS 1-3. You should have been able to tell the watch that these podcasts are ones I subscribe to and it should have synced over bluetooth when the watch was on the charger (so not instant playback, but playback nonetheless).

10. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’m not following your argument. The problem isn’t how complex the audio is, the problem is getting it onto the watch. Are you suggesting that Apple implement podcasts that work fairly good only on LTE watches and everyone else do overnight syncs that take hours? Because outside of the Series 3 it’s going to take hours for all the other watches.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Think Podcasts will come and it will be for LTE watch only, like Apple Music. We have no sign yet from Apple though but hopefully.

12. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

The argument that we’re making is that you can already sync songs, many many GB’s worth. You’ve been able to do that since the original AW was released, I believe. So how would podcast be any worse than syncing songs, whether it’s with an LTE-enabled AW or not?

And WatchOS 4.1 is not limiting Apple Music to only LTE watches either so...

13. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Apple could make it Series 3 only and would not be a crazy thing to do either ...

14. bradbomb macrumors regular

My Series 0 and Series 2 watches sync a 122 song playlist in under 20 minutes when on the charger. Thats more data than any one of my podcasts. And on those it can also stream through WiFi if away from the phone. On the Series 3, it can stream thru LTE or it can sync while on the charger and on WiFi or connected via Bluetooth which ver 4.1 has a top transfer speed of around 24 Mbps. Definitely not an overnight affair

15. perezr10, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Transferring music via Apples own music app and transferring podcasts via a 3rd party app are very different activities. Have you tried transferring a 50mb file from a 3rd party app? Whether on the charger or not, I guarantee it won’t be under an hour.

Even 122 songs in under 20 minutes is lightning fast for Music. Are you sure about that? My Series 0 or 2 couldn’t do it that fast.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    I agree with you. However, music is different from podcasts. People tend to transfer it once and forget it about forever. Podcasts are much more dynamic and the transfer function becomes much more frequent. If it takes a long time at night it’s no big deal. And transferring via Bluetooth 4.0 on the Series 0 & 2 is way too slow. Bluetooth 4.2 on the Series 3 is much faster but barely acceptable for only diehard podcast listeners. People waiting on the patio for their podcast to finish transferring so that they can go run are gonna get ticked off.

I’m not defending Apple’s decision. I just see the hardware limitations as too great to get podcasts until Series 4. I would like to know why Apple didn’t put Bluetooth 5 on the watch in sync with the new iPhones. Transfers would then happen in seconds versus minutes for iPhone 8 and X owners.

16. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I transferred a 189MB podcast file to my Series 3 in 26 minutes, a long time, but an extreme example for file size - most podcasts are just a few minutes. Apple could as a first party have faster times and LTE streaming would work well.