Will we get a new Apple Retina LED Cinema Display soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wnxgenral, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

If I am in the market for a new Macbook Pro but want an Apple LED Cinema Display as well... is now the time or will we get a new retina cinema display soon? What are everyones thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not worth holding out for, if that's what you're asking.

3. wnxgenral thread starter macrumors 6502

4. wnxgenral thread starter macrumors 6502

I woulda thought this was a way more hot topic since I've been waiting to get a new macbook pro + thunderbolt display. Is no one in the same boat?

It's a hard buy since this is also listed as coming up to the end of it's cycle. What does everyone think?

5. shokunin macrumors regular

if they double the current resolution, they are going to need a special display connector or something other than thunderbolt. Thunderbolt, doesn't have the bandwidth, hdmi only goes to 4K at 24hz and dual displayport could do 4K resolution but not sure about anything higher.

6. bxr macrumors newbie

No time soon?

7. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think there will be a new Thunderbolt Cinema Display—but it won't be retina. Pushing out 884 megapixels per second (5120x2880 * 60fps) would be quite impressive. The other thing is cost. Can you even imagine? It would be tens of thousands of dollars right now. But like I said, there will probably be an update before the year is done. USB 3.0! Should be enough for one channel to handle the video stream, and the other to have some USB 3.0, ethernet, sound, etc.

8. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

9. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

10. bxr macrumors newbie

How long, do you think, till they bump the resolution to the retina territory?
    Thought of buying the 27" but was hopping they'll release a retina one.

11. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Best case scenario is one year I would think, would be really really surprised to see it this year

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Exciting stuff coming soon.

Best Regards,
    Tim

13. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Retina or not, wouldn't they most likely update it at the same time as the iMac?

14. LionHeart717 macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering if they will release a new iteration (i.e. thunderbolt successor) this July. The cinema display was released July 2010, with the thunderbolt following suit July 2011. Seems like there is a possibility for a new display to show up this year.

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The Thunderbolt display would barely need a resolution bump to be called "Retina," unless you're sitting 10 inches away from your monitor. At a 30" viewing distance (about what mine is), I'm pretty sure a 120 PPI display would be considered Retina. How far away are everyone else's viewing distances?

It's bound to happen soon, if not just for USB 3 integration.

I can only hope they go back to matte displays. Also hoping they keep firewire, and add a 3.5mm audio jack. It is a hub after all. I don't currently have a thunderbolt display but if/when I get a new MBP, I'm excited about the prospect of just plugging in magsafe and Thunderbolt to have all my peripherals connected. :D

16. ShinySteelRobot macrumors regular

ShinySteelRobot

Just a suggestion... If you want external speakers out of your Thunderbolt Display, just use USB speakers (e.g., Ultralink UCube speakers).

Or get a USB audio card dongle (USB-to-3.5mm jack), they cost about $15. Just plug the dongle into the USB port in back of your display, then plug your existing speakers into the dongle.

17. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to buy new speakers to work around my monitor, let alone anything without a subwoofer.

The dongle could work, but I'd prefer a 3.5mm so I didn't have to use up a USB port.

18. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

3840×2160 is the max res for displayport 1.2, or 2560x1600 for 10GBit/s which Apple implements in thunderbolt.

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No way will the new TB display be "Retnia".

All I'm looking for is:
    * USB 3
    * HDMI in - So we can hook up non thunder bolt pc's or maybe game console.
    * new reduced glare screen based on the rMBP's screen technology and/or a matte option

20. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

If they do release an update soon, I think this may be what can be hoped for at best. The hdmi is unlikely.

21. TorwaK macrumors newbie

Most probably Apple Thunderbolt Cinema display will receive those updates (except HDMI) when new iMAC series will be released.

I'm looking forward to buy a new Apple Thunderbolt Cinema USB 3.0 supported.

22. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping the new displays have a 3.5mm jack. Would make things much cleaner.

23. fpsBeaTt macrumors 6502

fpsBeaTt

24. crcarson26 macrumors newbie

Retina Cinema Display

I think everyone needs to expect a large Retina display from Apple sooner than most are expecting. Think about it, the MacBook is Apples best selling computer, so naturally it received the high resolution screen first. One would think packing all the performance needed for a Retina display into a super slim laptop would be the most difficult and expensive option out of all the Apple lineup, yet, its here!! Why then would Apple take a year or two longer to implement that same technology into the more performance based desktop computers that can better utilize the pixel density? Obviously Apple is working closely with the best in the business as far as panel and graphics card manufacturers to get the best performing and best price hardware available. Ever wonder why Apple moved away from the 23" and 30" displays several years ago? Do you think that maybe its because the iMac and cinema display would share the same display dimensions and be easier to incorporate into OS X? Do you think that the upgrades to the codes written for OS X Mountain Lion that support Retina icons, windows, videos, images, ect. have anything to do with the recent launch of the Retina MBP, and thus future iMacs/Cinema Displays? Having said that, if you look at how these pieces of the puzzle fit together, it means that Apple has had the Retina display in the pipline for SEVERAL years for both the hardware and software. If you think Apple will wait until summer 2013 or winter 2014 to release this technology allowing Samsung or Sony be the first to release the technology in a desktop, then I think your off your meds!

25. Cully411 macrumors member

Any updates on this guys? are we looking at 2013 before we get a new Thunderbolt/Cinema display?