Will windows Xp give my Imac Viruses?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Wanny, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Wanny macrumors newbie

Well i would like to start off by saying that im a 15 years old.(incase anyone was wondering because of the way i type)

Anyways back to subject.
    I was most likely getting windows Xp for my 2.4 20" Imac. the reason i want to get windows is xp is for editing because i dont wanna spend over 1200 on final cut. Then my dad came up with this question for me. Will it just give our computer viruses like our last computer that was a dell and had windows xp.

Answer please

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

The windows partiton can get virus, but it can't harm your Mac OSX

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, your windows partition will be vulnerable to viruses just like any PC. However, they will not cross over to your OSX partition.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

If you treat it the same way as you treated your Dell, then the XP partition will probably get infected just the same.

The OS X partition won't, though.

Oh, and don't mention serial generators round here. It startles the natives.

5. Wanny thread starter macrumors newbie

what do u meen i didnt mention that ha...

Say i wanna just get Windows for

Vegas
    3d Maxs
    Adobe After Effects
    Blender
    Cinema 4d?

Then get the you no what for all of them would that be fine? and then leave it alone

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

In theory a virus could include an HFS+ driver and write
    to your Mac partition. In practice, you're safe...for now.

As always with these things the important thing is not
    so much what can be done as what is being done.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Windows XP can get viruses, but they won't pass over to MacOS X. Apart from using anti-virus software, there are a few things you can do. One is to use the Internet as little as possible from Windows. Another one is using Parallels instead of Bootcamp. The whole Windows installation will be in one big file, Back it up, and if you catch a virus, you just throw everything away and use the backup.

8. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

I hate to break the news for you, but there are viruses that wipe your drive partition table, mft , cause corruptions, so on. Most mac users are not aware of this, most think that once you boot into windows, it can only use its partition. That's not true. Windows can interfere with every bit of your mac once they are loaded natively, and there are plenty of viruses attacking partitions tables, even the BIOS/EFI. If you want to be 100% secure, you have to load windows into a virtual environment like VMWare and Parallels.

If that's hard to believe, load windows from your bootcamp, right click "my computer", select "manage", go to "disk management" and see that windows actually sees your OSX partition.
    Attention: At this point you are one click away from sending your OSX partition into oblivion...