will WWDC 2008 bring iPhone 2???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechidz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

2. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I say no. I think from a sales and manufacturing perspective, it would be folly for Apple to introduce two hardware revisions to a product only four months apart, one potentially being a significant upgrade. Why even introduce a 16 GB model in February if you're going to make it obsolete a few months later?

3. sal macrumors 6502

if iphone sales were declining, it's a good way to keep the momentum going and keep iphones sales up.

Worked on me. I bought one the moment the 16gb was announced.

4. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

this logic doesnt really fly with electronics, and especially cell phones

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

It flies perfectly with electronics, and especially Apple's method of doing business. They have never introduced product revisions so close together before, why would they start now? They have to spend a significant amount of money in changing their product manufacturing, it doesn't make fiscal sense to release a product update and then have to release an entire new PCB a few months later.

They certainly can't say sales have been lagging. They spiked after the release of the 16 GB model, they'll spike again after the release of the 2.0 firmware.

I say October or November brings a 3G iPhone.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

NO! Highly unlikely. Many reasons:

1. The current iPhone model is undergoing a software revamp with firmware 1.2.0.

2. Even though AT&T CEO and Steve Jobs hinted 3G iPhone, it is highly likely that Apple will delay iPhone v2 release due to the fact that the current iPhone has a sales target of 10 Million units.

3. Updating iPhone hardware in June is mid year when rumors place it end 2008 or start of 2009. More likely during the '09 keynote. When people's contracts are mid way done and that way AT&T re-captures these costumers with a new 2 year agreement. More revenue for Apple.

4. AT&T has still to upgrade their 3G network which is still being done.

5. Apple will not release a new model of iPhone when the current one sells quite good.

6. Even is there was a v2 of the iPhone, it will likely undego a revision to accomodate new features that were not thought of in the beginning or to change any hardware for better one (better processor or baseband chip). Hence, will take a time to come out.

7. Current iPhone has still to come out in many countries Apple said it would (Australia, China, Japan, Spain and Cananda)

my $0.02

8. xA4Hx macrumors member

I think it is on point. They want to soak up all the sales of 16gb model. Which I been eyeing. When the sales start to drop there will be new software update in june. Then close to November would be a good time or early next year depending on deployment of ATT network and sales of iphone. Because if the sales decline of iphone to much for jobs , I could see him wanting to release it sooner, just to increase sales. It will show one thing Steve Jobs can make apple alot of money and I think ATT will be asking apple please sign another agreement after this exclusive ends.

-illusion

9. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

They updated macbook pros only 3 months after the 2.6 processor bump option.

Sure it was a minor bump but if your argument that the 2.6 bump wasnt really an update then I would say the 16 gig option on iPhone isnt really a major update...

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Just some thoughts on your reasons...

1. New firmware doesn't prevent a hardware update. I personally think some of the firmware update, will take advantage of new hardware.

2. The current iPhone doesn't have to sell 10 million units, the iPhone has to sell 10 million units. Some market researchers believe new hardware is paramount to meeting that goal.

3. Steve Jobs has said 3G iPhone in 2008, so I doubt 2009. AT&T hasn't re-captured customers who upgraded to a 16GB iPhone, I'm not sure they will with new hardware either.

4. AT&T has been offering 3G phones for a while now. The current network is fine because the phone will always drop to EDGE when needed. At this point, people are saying Apple doesn't offer 3G, while AT&T does. Once a 3G iPhone is released it'll all be on AT&T to finish their roll-out.

5. So wait until your product quits selling to update the hardware? Look at the iMac, MacBook, iPod or especially the iPod mini - Apple is know for changing successful products. You must release a new model to stay ahead of the curve and remain the industry leader.

6. I'm sure there were features cut from the current iPhone that have been worked on since the beginning. And Steve Jobs said they've been working on the next few models of iPhone for a while now.

7. Current iPhone has still to come out in many countries Apple said it would (Australia, China, Japan, Spain and Cananda)

Many of people argue that the product will not meet mass expectation if it's not 3G for those countries where 3G is prevalent.

I also think we'll see quite a few new applications available from Apple in June. There are certain features and applications that truly need to be written by Apple, even if a third party releases their own.

11. jediistar macrumors 6502

Will WWDC bring about endless speculative threads regarding topics covered almost daily in every capacity imaginable?!

That said, I say no!

12. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I say no. Only one year before an update is too early. Atleast for the cell-phone market. However, I could be wrong.. We'll have to wait and see.

13. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

a lot of people here are getting confused with iPhone 2.0.0 and iPhone version 2!

version 2 won't come out till probably macworld 2009, at which point it'll have the latest intel processor, 32gb standard, 3g and probably some other features to do with prolonging battery life. Wait till JApan and the other countries get the current iphone.... We could potentially see inductive charging in V2 too.

14. Edwardz macrumors regular

I believe Apple will not wait that long for an update on their hardware for the iPhone. Why would Apple put in a 3G chipset early 2009 or late 2008 when 4G will start being implemented in many phones by the end of this year? It is rational to say that Apple will, in fact, have a 3G revision sometime in Q2 08 and then update once again to 4G later into 09.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong about the 4G implementation though. It's just something I've heard about.

15. sjo macrumors 6502a

even steve has gone public saying the iphone 3g will be out 2008, the question is when during 2008, eg: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/10212/11236/apple-iphone-3g-coming-2008.phtml

the current iphone will never be released in japan or korea etc due technical reasons.

to reach their target of 10m sales in 2008, apple should have new version of iphone available well before holiday shopping season, so august-september seems probable.

so june announcement sounds about right, although wwdc might not be the right venue for that. maybe end june to celebrate 1y iphone availability?

btw, 3g will not be enough for iphone to gain significant sales in europe, so the question really is what other features the new version is going to have. in my opinion, to get sales going, the new version should have 16/32gb flash, gps, 3.2-5mpix camera with autofocus & video recording and vga-camera on the front for video calls, in addition to 3g of course. also further software features are needed, eg mms, cut and paste.

16. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i say no.

this thread should be stickied, or theres gonna be 100 more exactly like it in the months to come.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Well, apart from iPhone 2.0 is an iPhone with Firmware 2.0 I'd say the most likely release windows (give the situation with Broadcom and Intel chipsets) are November or maybe February 09.

I've always favoured November myself. Sure, I'd love to be proven wrong as I'd be all over a replacement to my OG iPhone even though I love it. 3G (with good coverage) would be most welcome.

18. iPegboy macrumors regular

I think it's possible they'll do a capacity bump in June (32GB and 16GB being the new standards), but not a second generation phone.

As evidenced by the invitation, it looks like it will be heavy on the applications, etc. They'll spend a lot of time talking up some of the new programs to be released in a couple of weeks.

19. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

AT&T hasn't even finished deploying HSPA, why would they start on LTE already? Verizon's not implementing LTE until next next year. I'd say AT&T will probably start either in 2010 or 2011.

Because the cellphone industry works differently. Price cuts that happen more often than they have for the iPhone, replacement products being released within a year, these are standard parts of the cellphone industry. And, sadly, Apple fanboys are going to be balking no matter when a 3G iPhone is released just like they balked at the price cuts.

20. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Correction: the cell phone industry used to work differently. I think it's pretty clear that Apple is establishing itself as the rogue of the industry and trying to take it in a new direction, first by taking control out of the hands of the carriers.

Besides, Apple isn't Motorola, Nokia, Sony-Ericcson, Samsung, or LG. They don't need to release handset after handset to remain competitive.

21. parham55 macrumors member

can all these "when is the iphone generation 2 going to come out" threads be merged and then stickied?

yes, we'll see an announcement at WWDC regarding the next iphone model. the 16 GB is getting hard to find. apple and ATT said it was going to come this year. component manufacturers are saying it is on the way. the talk about the FCC is a non-issue. Apple can submitt to the FCC a couple weeks before WWDC and simply announce it will ship as soon as it is approved by the FCC. then you can find me in a line at an apple store towards the end of june.

22. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Apple's working on changing the manufacturer-carrier relationship. I don't think they should have been exempt from the way pricing works in the cellphone industry, but, clearly, the fanboys that feel they have entitlement don't quite realize the realities of the world and the iPhone's price, IMO, ought to have been dropped another $100 when the 16GB model came out.

23. flavamactop macrumors member

Yes, it should be announced at WWDC *or earlier*. They have a goal of 10M iPhones sold this year, and they are not going to reach that with the given sales trends of the current model. While they'll get a boost from the third party applications from the SDK, I still don't think that will cut it. I think they need to jumpstart overseas sales. Some countries require 3G as a technical minimum, I believe Japan is in that boat. A lot of countries, while not a technical minimum, 3G is so standard in the eyes of the consumer that it can be considered required (I'm looking at you Europe). Anyway, to boost sales overseas they need 3G, and they need it as early as possible in 2008 to give them as much time as possible to let the 3G sales lead them to 10M iPhones. If I were them, I'd ride the boost of the SDK in June for a few months but then keep the momentum going with a 3G release two months thereafter, so August/September... right in time for back-to-school.

24. Nik macrumors 6502

The iPhone owners say "No!" and the guys who are waiting for a new revision say "Yes!".

Never noticed, huh?

Nobody knows.
    But if Apple wants to meet the expectations they better release a 3G capable version soon.
    3G chipsets are ready in Q2 2008. Why should Apple wait any longer than June '08?

25. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

NO! This subject is just getting beat to friggin death. There is another thread on it 5 pages long and two threads down from this one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408

As long as Apple keeps releasing the iPhone in new countries (2 today) then they are NOT going to release another version for 4-6 months...it is total common sense otherwise they will face the same major attacks as they did when they reduced the price so soon. If they release to a new country...add on 4-6 months for the release of a new version

STOP the maddness in repeating Threads!!!