Will you be doing a clean install of Lion ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hitrate, Jul 20, 2011.

?

Clean install of Lion?

1. Yes !

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No, just upgrade !

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Whichever is fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm sticking with SL for now/other option

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Hey fellow MacBook Pro users :)

So I'm doing a Time Machine of my 4 month old 15" 2011 MBP and preparing to install Lion.

I'm still undecided wether to make a bootable Lion DVD and clean install it on my MBP's internal drive, or just upgrade from within the current (latest) Snow Leopard. (and then do the clean install if things seem slow or there are other issues). I'd rather save the time having to re-install, re-download and re-setup everything and just do an upgrade - BUT, I can't help feel a bit like I'd have a smoother system if I do the clean install thing. This needs to be backed up by other peoples experiences though, hence this poll/thread.

Mainly looking for people with newer MBP's/newer installations and any precautions, people with bad experiences upgrading from SL to Lion.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I did a clean install on my iMac but will be upgrading on my MBA. Just wanted to get rid of all the crap.

3. intelgrande macrumors member

Upgraded on the newer MBP without any problems. It was slow at first re-indexing everything, but now it's fine.

4. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

I'm gonna answer my own poll and thread and say I'm gonna do the upgrade, but make a DVD before hand in case anything goes wrong, or I wanna do the clean install after trying out with upgrading... Looking at the amount of apps and things I've done to the system in 4 months, I don't think there should be too many issues based on those, compared to clean installing and re-installing everything...I did finish the time machine backup, so I'm hoping I can fall back on that if everything fails.

This is exciting :D

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just upgraded. It was very convenient and everything works perfectly fine.