Will you be getting the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by charliecc, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Will you buy the iPhone 4S?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2011.
  1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. No, I'm pissed we aren't getting the iPhone 5.

64 vote(s)
    75.3%
  1. charliecc, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

charliecc macrumors regular

Well, seeing as it's pretty much confirmed that there will be no iPhone 5, will you be getting the iPhone 4S?

I won't, I don't see it as a big enough step up from the 4.

Oh, and you'll probably want some proof.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/12...-of-september-no-sign-of-redesigned-iphone-5/

Also, check out the dude's prediction in April. Phone production in September with an October release, sounds like he's in the know.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...lcomm_powered_iphone_5_rumored_for_sept_.html

Furthermore, he was spot on with the white iPhone and the iPad 2 display.

2. ah123 macrumors regular

You missed the third option "I'll wait and see what comes out and if I like it, I'll buy it"

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You also forgot the fourth option: "Nope. I'll just stick with my iPhone 4."

4. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, there are plenty of options I could add, but I like to keep things simple.

The main point of this thread is to stop the incessant drivel about some mystery iPhone 5 when it's quite clear all that's coming is a 4S.

And I'm also interested to see how many people are going to skip the 4S because Apple aren't on the ball and releasing the phone everyone wants.

5. ah123 macrumors regular

And the fifth option, which seems to be a regular answer on MR - "No, all these rumours sound crap so I'm going to go and buy Android"

6. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

A 4S, not unless it's a massive upgrade internally, and a larger screen. If it is a 3G-3GS type bump I'll wait and use the iPhone 4 I have as it's more than fast enough and does what I need.

My daughter will be upset though, as she wanted my iPhone 4 lol

7. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

I'm gonna have to wait on the specs.

I wouldn't rule out a redesign just yet (fingers crossed).

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Lol...Are you serious?? You are going to pick one rumor and stick to it as fact? There is not one aspect of the next gen iphone that is "quite clear"..NOTHING. No one knows anything, including the vast majority of people working at Apple.

Even these so called "people in the know" are just totally speculating. They haven't a clue as to what we will be getting when it's finally announced. Their guess is as good as anyone elses. I don't care who they are and who they are connected to.

I know NOTHING and I'd be willing to bet the house that we get something radically different then just a 4S. And I am speaking from a business standpoint, not from stupid rumors that I've read about.

Apple can simply NOT afford to blow this one. Not even a little bit. For the first time in iPhone history, there is some ligitimate competition out there with technology that's getting better and better by the month. For Apple to come out with a 4S version of the iphone 4 would be totally stupid! It would CRUSH them in the smart phone world. And even though iPhone 4 is still the best selling individual phone, it's not going to hold that position for another year by adding a better camera and a faster processor. NO WAY!! Don't you think Apple knows what they are up aganist? It's just so crystal clear to me...Come out with a radically different design and sell millions upon millions of phones on launch day...Or come out with a refreshed iP4 and cut those sales in half, if not more. Just based on design alone, I wouldn't update to a 4S. Im tired of looking at my iP4. And so are millions of others. I want something new & cool to look at. And I for one care about what's under the hood just as much as design. BUT then there are the millions that buy the iphone simply on looks alone. ALL of these people would pass on a 4S if they already had a iP4. Or if they are waiting to get their 1st iphone, they are going to get a regulare iP4 because it will be cheaper then the 4S.

You just wait and see my friend. One of us will be eating our words....Hope ur hungry.

9. patorioto macrumors member

If today's rumor is true and there isn't an iphone 5, I will buy the 4 as I assume that the price will be lowered. I have no need for a 4s if it's anything like what the rumors state.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If that is the actual phone that comes out, I'll stick my my current iPhone 4 and save my upgrade on a Nexus/Prime phone.

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

EXACTLY...The majority of people who don't currently have an iphone will buy the cheaper, current iphone 4 rather then waste money on something that looks exactly the same. And the people who already have ip4's and were planning to upgrade won't burn it on a refreshed iPh4..If anything, people who might have been on the fence about whether to get the iphone 5 or a new Android device will now have a much easier time switching over to Android...Even if it is for only one product cycle. It would give loyal apple customers a free ticket to try something out that otherwise they would never try. And even if 80% of the people that did this HATED android and switched right back to iphone, those other 20% that liked it are people that Apple isn't willing to give up. Not even for one product cycle.

There is a pole on this thread asking if people would buy a refreshed iphone 4 or 4S. And even though there are only a small amount of votes, the answer "NO" is winning by a landslide. And if enough people voted, you would still see "NO" as the overwhelming winner. Apple knows this better then all of us. Which is why it would NEVER happen.

----------

Another reason Apple would NEVER EVER risk this with a refreshed 4S model.

12. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

I'd love to eat my words, I wanna see an iPhone 5 as much as you, I just don't think the evidence points in that direction.

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Your poll is skewed. The 4S is not an upgrade from the iPhone 4, it's suppose to be a low end iPhone for the "masses".

14. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Hasn't Apple said they wanted to produce a low end iPhone? The latest rumor does throw everyone for a loop, but you definitely have to wait until they make the official announcement before asking these questions. It'll really bite my ass if they only do a minor 4 upgrade because I would have bought the 4 way back in Feb/March had I known. I'll be giving every manufacturer an equal look if its just a 4S...I really like iOS better than the others, but I find a 16 month cycle for a minor upgrade to be lazy in todays smartphone world. Its hard to justify buying it when other companies might be way more on the ball and offering more features for a similar price. Of course this is only if its a 4S.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Can't answer since I don't know if it even exists and/or will an iPhone 5 exist.

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I guess this will be like the 8GB 3GS, with little to no improvements

does Apple still sell the 16 gig and 32 gig 3GS?

17. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Let me fix your post.
    "I'd love to eat my words, I wanna see an iPhone 5 as much as you, I just don't think the RUMORS point in that direction."

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I'm doing. I don't plan on upgrading until the version after this one. So, no vote for me on the poll.

19. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Here is my idea for the new iPhone(s)

iPhone 4S (look like iPhone 4) :)
    A5 1Ghz dual-core
    768mb ram
    7-8 mp camera (back)
    3 mp (front)
    8GB, 16GB and 32GB
    Just $99
    ---------------------------------
    iPhone 5 :D
    A5 1.5Ghz dual-core
    1-1.3mb ram
    9-11 mp camera (back)
    6 mp (front)
    16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB
    Starts at $170

20. korndawg macrumors regular

I won't waste my upgrade on a 4S. I have to go 20 months (thru VZ) between upgrades, so no way will I do that. I will, however, buy an Iphone 4 once the price drops after the 4S is released.

21. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Where's the option;
    iPhone LOL. Nexus-Prime will own all.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Not with it being locked on Verizon. Why do you think Apple pushed the iPhone onto two U.S carriers as soon as they legally could? To get that much more potential market share.

23. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

There will be an iPhone5, don't let some "analyst" fool you.

Apple is a secretive company and they may have tricked the analysts but we know better than that.

24. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Here is my guess:

iPhone 4S (look like iPhone 4)
    A4 (same as iPhone 4 but maybe a slight speed bump)
    512mb RAM
    3.5" screen, no change
    Same front & rear cameras as iPhone 4
    Plastic back, not glass
    8GB
    Unlocked, no contract $499
    ---------------------------------
    iPhone 5 (Slight case changes)
    A5 1.2Ghz dual-core
    768 Mb RAM
    NFC chip imbedded with firmware support
    8MP rear camera
    Slightly better fromt camera, but mostly in terms of low light ability
    4" screen, 1024*768 res
    32GB, 64GB versions
    Unlocked no contract $799, $949

25. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'll definitely get it just because I need a new phone, but I really want a major redesign!