• Yes

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 45.5%

• Total voters

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Seems a bit premature. Is there already a jailbreak? If not, how do you know there will be one for sure?

sartios

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
London
Of course, having an un-jailbroken iPad/iPhone is like having a millions of monies in a safe and you lost the key.

Well not quite, but you get the idea ;)

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Um.......

I'm a noob to Apple- waiting for my new iPad to arrive.

Can someone tell me the purpose of "Jailbreaking", what it means, how you do it, and the pros/ cons?

Thanks from a complete noob.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
florida
The release time frame is getting longer and longer though for jailbreaks if you want to get real. There is a reason for that as well...
Tell me about. That is why im not even going to look forward to it. I don't think we will see one for months, if ever.

TheUrbanLegend

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
San Diego
Um.......

I'm a noob to Apple- waiting for my new iPad to arrive.

Can someone tell me the purpose of "Jailbreaking", what it means, how you do it, and the pros/ cons?

Thanks from a complete noob.
As far as I know there are no cons except if you update your iPad you will have to jailbreak again. There are tons of pros as you can really customize the interface and look of your iPad and of course get lots of free games and apps :D

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
As far as I know there are no cons except if you update your iPad you will have to jailbreak again. There are tons of pros as you can really customize the interface and look of your iPad and of course get lots of free games and apps :D
And by "free" TheUrbanLegend means "pirated applications you can buy in the appstore that people have removed the DRM for you to install on your jailbroken device".

ElCidRo

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
no - i barely have time to use a few apps... and those apps are great. I want to support those developers who make them.
If I had more free time I would JB to be able to try maaaaany apps and games, but I would still buy the really good ones.

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
I won't. I simply don't need anything from the jailbreaking, that the iPad/iOS isn't giving me allready :) Same goes for my iPhone.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
nope. but i am considering jailbreaking my iphone so I can tether over to my ipad 3.

htg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
I would, but I'm not going to as it's the equivalent of installing Windows on Mac. You open yourself up to a considerable number of viruses/malware. Why do that when you have a great, safe OS with a great app store already?

BTW, because I'm in the UK, all phones that are sold come unlocked (I think), so you can use almost any phone with almost any carrier.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
I'll do it as soon as a jailbreak is available, but I think it will be quite a while. This will be my first i anything that wasn't JB within ten minutes of of leaving the box. I'm going to miss iFile, Folder Enhancer, SBsettings, and all the rest. And the ability to lock individual apps. Yes, iOS is getting better with every revision but there's still a lot that can be done.

Jailbreaking is good for lots more than pirating. I paid how much for an iPad? I can pay for apps, too.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I don't need a jailbreak; tried once with an iPod; was fun but that's it.i preferr to update as quick as possible to the latest firmware from Appe and just don't want to wait until a JB is out.