Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian1868

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Columbus, OH
I'm getting a new iPhone 5s soon. Since it becomes thinner and lighter, I think it's necessary to buy a case.
Have you guys tried the apple-made case? What about film?
Thank you for your opinion!:D:D It will help me a lot.:)

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I don't use a case on mine. I think it looks and feels better without it. I'm not sure what you mean by "film" as it's a digital device and does no require any film. If you mean a screen protector, then no I don't use one of those either.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
At the moment I've got a bumper on it that covers the back and the sides and I put it inside a slip case to protect the screen. This is how I used to carry my previous iPhones and they held up well. It was only when I started using android phones that I started using screen protectors.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
That's like sitting on a plastic cover over the nice couch.

That's like putting on some frumpy clothing over a beautiful woman.

Naked for me. If it breaks, perfect excuse to upgrade.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'm not sure what you mean by "film" as it's a digital device and does no require any film. If you mean a screen protector, then no I don't use one of those either.

I don't think the OP is referring to the screen protector, rather to the film that is used to record videos and snap photos on iPhones, as everyone knows.
:rolleyes:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I find it too slippery without a case to hold easily.

It's also slippery on any surface, like a car seat, and rattles on hard surfaces like plastic cup holders or on a table (when it vibrates).

Lots of reasons why a case can be better. Not everyone cares about exposing the aluminum just for the sake of it.. Or because it's beige, etc.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
I historically went naked with my prior iPhones. I finally went with a case after I dropped my 4S and cracked the case. Eventually I decided to go naked again and almost immediately dropped my 4S again. I don't equate the dropping of the phone to not having a case, but they certainly could have protected the phone in each instance.

I now have a 5S and bought the Apple case for it. I really, really like that case. Doesn't add much heft to the phone, but does make it feel more secure.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Got a 4 won't be upgrading. If I got a 5s I would get a red apple case and that's it. I had a screen protector on my 4 for about 5 minutes. I hated that stupid thing no point if you clean all the finger marks and look at it my 1 year old phone will look brand new.

brian1868

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Columbus, OH
I don't use a case on mine. I think it looks and feels better without it. I'm not sure what you mean by "film" as it's a digital device and does no require any film. If you mean a screen protector, then no I don't use one of those either.

of course I mean screen protector...

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
In general I do not put a case on it. I do have a waterproof case that I use once in a while (like when I go to the beach or boat rides).

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I find it too slippery without a case to hold easily.

It's also slippery on any surface, like a car seat, and rattles on hard surfaces like plastic cup holders or on a table (when it vibrates).

Same here - I have always used some kind of case with iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad - simply because they are too slippery for me. I don't buy the Apple cases though.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm getting a new iPhone 5s soon. Since it becomes thinner and lighter, I think it's necessary to buy a case.

I use the Apple leather case and it's wonderful ...
Not using any screen protector on my iDevices

----------

The Apple case is alright but a bit overpriced. If you want a really thin case that acts almost like a film but provides a bit more protection than that, just try out the Caudabe Veil. A lot of people on here like it, as do I. Good quality and not expensive. http://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-5-accessories/products/the-veil-frost

Very very nice indeed but ..... what about protection ?

RYKER1101

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
I was an android guy for a few years and most of the phones were plastic and with no personality. The iphone is a sleek, quality upscale device. Why cram it into a bit of plastic unless you are taking on high risk activities. The designers spend a lot of time and effort to develop the iphone into what it is. When we all purchased the iphone it was because of the combination of form and function. Do women put protectors on jewelry ? Do guys put protectors on guns? I am a new iphone 5s owner, I wish to find the balance between protecting my beautiful sexy silver and white umbilical cord to the world. I think we as consumers should help apple in future designs by providing input. We desire form, function and a little muscle.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use no screen protector and the Black Official Apple leather case.

Expensive...... yes ..... quality yes.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I was an android guy for a few years and most of the phones were plastic and with no personality. The iphone is a sleek, quality upscale device. Why cram it into a bit of plastic unless you are taking on high risk activities. The designers spend a lot of time and effort to develop the iphone into what it is. When we all purchased the iphone it was because of the combination of form and function. Do women put protectors on jewelry ? Do guys put protectors on guns? I am a new iphone 5s owner, I wish to find the balance between protecting my beautiful sexy silver and white umbilical cord to the world. I think we as consumers should help apple in future designs by providing input. We desire form, function and a little muscle.

Why can't you just decide what works for you? I use a front and rear screen protector on my 5s and a case. I have friends who go naked and half of them have cracked their phones or their phones have scratches. Mine looks like the day I bought it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Don't buy the Apple branded case. Buy a Magpul Field case, or a Bump Case from Magpul if you tend to drop your phone much.

Film, I always go with PowerSupport.

RYKER1101

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Why can't you just decide what works for you? I use a front and rear screen protector on my 5s and a case. I have friends who go naked and half of them have cracked their phones or their phones have scratches. Mine looks like the day I bought it.

Decide? Um, I'm not undecided lol ? I was saying why wrap the apple in plastic.....

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The Apple case is alright but a bit overpriced. If you want a really thin case that acts almost like a film but provides a bit more protection than that, just try out the Caudabe Veil. A lot of people on here like it, as do I. Good quality and not expensive. http://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-5-accessories/products/the-veil-frost

I've been searching for a case for my iPhone 5 for a few days now. I found two elago cases, that I like, I also am deciding whether to get the leather case from Apple or a case I liked on Etsy. I haven't decided which to get. But this case you posted is really nice. You said a lot of users here like the case, are there any pictures available here on the forum for that case? I'd like to see some, I don't trust images the sellers put online, a lot of times they turn out to be different than the pictures.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
My iPhone 5 was naked. When I sold it there were 1 or 2 minor scratches on the back, and a few places the chamfered edge was nicked. Screen was flawless. Not to bad.

On my iPhone 5s I'm trying ghost armor (back and sides/top/bottom). I can see the value in the ghost armor, but not to sure if I like the feel of it.
The over the newness of the iPhone 5s, so I'll probably won't replace the ghost armor if it starts to peel off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.