All iPads Will you buy the iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Morgan Freeman, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Morgan Freeman macrumors newbie

It looks like the iPad Air 2 is going to be thinner, faster (of course) and have Touch Id. I have an iPad Air, and if the next Air have these features, I will be buying it.

Will you?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No, sir. The current Air is plenty thin and light for me. None of the new features appeal to me. I tend to keep my devices for a while too. Not the type to upgrade all the time.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

I'll be honest, if it simply has 2GB of RAM, I'd be tempted to upgrade.

4. Altis macrumors 68020

The question is, even if it does have 2 GB of RAM, will they modify iOS so that it doesn't still have all the issues of tab/app reloading.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm definitely buying one (and the new iPad Mini Retina). And I don't care if it has more RAM or not. I just want faster/thinner/lighter.

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I do not know why people keep wasting their money in new iPads.

I have 2 iPads 4, they just the same exact thing as the air and I got the cheaper.. Applications runs just the same.

And.... the layout if the iPad 4 and previous looks way better than the bezel that has 2 frames wide and two thinner, it look ugly.

People, if you are smart get the iPad 4 for cheap, getting iPads air is just plain stupid.

7. mgs315 macrumors member

As I'm coming from an iPad 2, more than likely. Especially if the memory bump turns out to be true as it should add a bit to its longevity.

I'd prefer to try to make iPads last 3-4 years if I can.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Safari reloads tabs even when RAM is free.
    I suspect there is some broken algorithm at work.

Its a matter of priority.

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm on the fence and Touch ID means nothing to me especially on an iPad. I strictly see it as a gimmick so it doesn't suit me. However if iOS 8 does bring multi-window multitasking like the Samsung tablets and that requires more than 1 GB of ram, then count me in. I see split screen apps running as useful as I usually have mail and Safari running 100% of the time. I would love to split those 2 on the same screen. If I can do the above with 1GB then there's no need for me to upgrade.

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm upgrading from iPad Air

Every year I sell me iPad and take the $100-150 loss and upgrade

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

No. My iPad 3 still works. Sure its heavier and a bit slower than the latest; but not worth $500+ for me.

13. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily. The support lifetime of the Air will be much longer than your 4. Plus the difference in size/weight of the Air is worth paying extra for IMO.

----------

I'm inclined to agree. A little lighter/smaller/faster isn't compelling enough of a reason to upgrade.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I had been planning on getting one if a 256GB model was released. Unfortunately, vacations are expensive so I'm gonna have to skip. :(

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

Yes i will be getting the iPad Air 2, because i will be upgrading from an iPad 3. I don't think Apple will be announcing them on Tuesday, they usually hold a separate event in October/November for the iPad's and Mac's.

16. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

thinner? air 1 is thin already
    faster? i love how apple trick people with the faster nonsense, it's not like the air is lagging. if by opening an app .005 sec faster means something to u, then yea it's faster.
    touch id? really......

17. cababah macrumors 68000

Well that may be but doubling the RAM gives more breathing room to a better user experience as well as the possibility of having true multi-tasking which is not really possible on the current Air due to the RAM bottleneck.

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I'll be keeping my 1st gen iPad Air. Unlike some other people's experiences, the inability to hold more than 3-4 Safari tabs in memory hasn't rendered the entire device useless to me.

19. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

My original iPad 1 was good for almost 4 years and still gets used around the house and i expect my Air to last just as long. I guess I would replace it sooner if I somehow destroy it or MAYBE if the ipad gets a glare-free screen.

20. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I have the 3. Still does what I need it to do, but tempted by the weight difference. I played around with the Air, but didn't like how it felt when tapping on the glass. If the Air 2 has a better tap feel, might be tempted, but still interested in a Pro model if there are good rumors about it, I can wait for that.

21. dazed macrumors 6502a

I will get the wife one to upgrade from her 3. It's amazing how heavy that 3 is in comparison (1st world problems :) )

22. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

No. iPad mini for me, assuming that a new one is coming this year.

23. Cape Dave, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

Cape Dave macrumors 68000

At the speed of light. The same speed as I will sell my Air 1 :)

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

I currently use the iPad Air with the Atomic Browser = No re load of tabs that's happening with Safari which leads me to think it's not the much discussed RAM amount issue.

If the new iPad Air is released I'll be visiting my local Apple Store to test it out before making any decision.

25. quackers82 macrumors 6502

No as i went for the 128GB iPad Air, so they are a bit pricey to keep replacing every year, plus i was not that fussed from upgrading from my iPad 2 just decided to on a whim, i was not really blown away by the difference, think i could have gone a lot longer on the iPad 2 really.