Will you buy the mini without retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristoffer4, Oct 22, 2012.

?

To retina or not to retina that is the question!

1. I will buy the ipad mini even though it isn't retina

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. The mini without retina doesn't hold any interest for me!

60 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I will get the revised ipad 3 instead

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

If you are interessed in the mini ipad would you buy it even though it turns out it doesn't have a retina display?
    Or will you consider a revised ipad 3 instead?

For my part I won't buy the mini if it isn't retina. I will get a current or revised ipad 3 instead.

2. guineapig macrumors regular

Not really any interest at all...
    More like if it's just a shrunk iPad 2, then it doesn't hold any interest.

3. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I've decided it's about time to buy my first iPad, but these are confusing times. I would look real hard at the Mini with a Retina. Without it, I'll pass. You know that the Mini WILL have retina next year so why buy something with a screen that's a throwback to the pre-iPhone 4 days?

I also didn't choose the rebooted iPad 3 because this is just way way too close to the March iPad 4 debut. I would feel like a chump to plunk down $500+ on a revised 3 just to watch a glorious 4 come out for the same price 3 months later. Of course, the question becomes: would a revised iPad 3 mean there IS no iPad 4 in March? See? Confusing. Since this is a lot of money to me, I feel it's best to just hold off and realize that this may be an expensive toy I don't need. All their secrecy and mixed signals is making a lot of us stay away altogether.

[P.S. I find it amusing that at the bottom of this page is a big old Microsoft Surface banner ad. LOL!]

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Who knows. Maybe this revised 3 means a revised iPad schedule. All iPads will now be announced in October.

I'll buy a mini most likely. I like the smaller form factor. Makes it easier to fit into lab coat pockets.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

6. urkel macrumors 68030

At first I was thinking "NEVER", but I've changed my mind recently. Even if the iPad Mini had Retina, it still isn't the iPad I intend to own for more than a year. And since Ive downgraded from an iPad 3 to an iPad 2 for the last few months and havent noticed a major difference then I could easily live with a non-retina screen.

7. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Even if it won't be retina on iPad 3 level, it still will have a lot more pixel density than iPad 2, due to the fact of possesing smaller screen. I think it might be some kind of a semi-retina or something. Not quite as good as iPad 3 retina, but better than iPad 2.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Yes. Pixel density is better, so smaller size will look better. Plus, it's great as a point-of-service machine to use with Square. :)

9. JSalig macrumors 6502

Unless it's light as a feather, I wouldn't buy it at $249, $299, or $329. At $199 I'd maybe give it some thought but it wouldn't be an automatic buy.

10. Ankaa macrumors 6502

Yes definately. Been waiting for a smaller sized iPad since the first came out. Have no problem with my Nook Color (2010) nor with my hubby's iPad 2. I'd definitely buy it as it fits my needs... and I don't think the iPad2-screen is too bad (besides it's better on a mini because of the smaller size) even for longer reading. At least for me.

11. Geekbabe, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

The people I would buy a tablet for are people I love. I have an iPad 3 with retina, why would I gift people I care about with a device that has an inferior screen when I can at least gift them with a Kindle Fire HD for significantly less money?

Many of the tablets being marketed are similar when it comes to hardware, the screen quality IMHO is the make it or break it factor in my purchasing decisions. Of tablets that are currently on sale ipad 3 dominates the larger screen, the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 inch tab & 7 inch Kindle Fire HD own the 7 inch category. Cupertino needs to bring better features & screen quality that is at least as good as these devices, particularly if they e pact to charge$329 for a base model.

12. maccompatible macrumors 6502

There's about 30 ppi difference between iPhone <4 and ipad 2. (163 to 132) so the ipad mini screen (if it is what we think it will be) will still look a lot better than the ipad 2. Especially if they use the new igzo displays.

13. GBR macrumors 6502

I am VERY interested in the mini, very excited about significantly improved portability. I love my "the new iPad" but don't take it outside the home too often because of its size.

However, that being said, I will NOT purchase a iPad mini if it does not have a retina display. Apple has spoiled me with retina quality screens and therefore any non-retina display looks pixelated to me. I have a really hard time believing that Apple would backtrack and introduce a new product with a screen worse than they are introducing on updated versions of their existing products...

14. Scott2345 macrumors regular

It won't have retina. Apple is saving that for the next gen. Mini. That's how apple does things.

15. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

Let me see... I have an iPhone 5 with retina display, an iPad 3 with retina display, as well as a Macbook Pro with retina display. All of these devices have extremely sharp font textures which enhance readability tremendously.

Now does the new iPad mini NEED retina? Frankly yes. If you can produce larger size panels with retina, you can do the same with this size. My guess is that if there is no retina display when launched, it will be updated with a retina display as a feature selling point in April or next October.

I want something lighter to read in bed than the iPad 3, and with a very sharp text display. Been looking at the Kindle Paperwhite for books, but not settled yet until I see what they do with the iPad mini. Honestly in my opinion, the text on the new iPad mini should compare very favorably to that device or there isn't much reason to waste my money.

It needs to be more than just a larger iPod touch or smaller iPad 3. So I'm curious what will be the feature selling point?

16. Bokes, Oct 22, 2012

Bokes macrumors 6502

IMO- If you have a ipad 3- keep it- deal with the size and enjoy it until:
    The mini-2 is released with retina.
    If you buy the non-retina now- you will regret it next year.

The fun will be listening to Apple explain why the mini doesn't need a retina.
    And then praise it as the second coming when next year it gets one.

17. GBR macrumors 6502

I disagree, especially if they are focusing on iBooks with the mini it wouldn't make sense for it not to be Retina as text is really where Retina is amazing. Lets take a look at the current iBook options from Apple: Retina iPod Touch, Retina iPhone 5/4s, Retina iPad. To add a "Non-Retina iPad Mini" right in the middle would be insane and Apple would be slaughtered by the tech media.

Also lets look at the other possible releases at this Apple Special Event. Retina 13" MacBook Pro, redesigned Retina New iPad... To release two updated products with Retina and not offer that on the main new product release at that same media event... Wont happen.

18. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

19. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

Good luck with that. You pretty much can't do that with any Apple product release within the first few weeks. And online orders slip quickly to 3-4 weeks.

So I presume you mean theoretically after the hype dies down, that's what Apple expects. I'm personally not sold yet, and Apple has been known to surprise people. So I'm still waiting to see what Tim says tomorrow before making a final absolute decision on the mini.

(Shouldn't it be an iPad nano, not mini?)

20. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

You could walk into stores days after the iPad 3 was released and get one. They had plenty of stock all over, even Best Buy.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think it is going to be more of a price point for me. If I am seeing 300+ for the base model no thanks.

22. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

That's why I said "pretty much" and not "every." Reading comprehension is a dying art. :rolleyes:

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

For $50 maybe.

But seeing as how retina quality mobile displays are 2010 era tech, releasing less than that in almost 2013 for a new product is silly.

24. urkel, Oct 22, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Not to mention the minimum storage capacity seems to be a bit low considering how huge some of those media heavy iBooks are. Plus, I desperately want an iPad Mini for myself but the lack of retina (to reduce eye strain) and the size (its a bit small for a k-12 textbook) makes it less ideal for long reading.

While I do feel tablets will eventually replace textbooks, it seems that for now its just not ready. Not enough storage, not cheap enough and no retina. (Personally, for my kids I'd actually prefer a 9" Kindle PaperWhite type of device and since Apple is in the book market I wouldnt mind them making a dedicated Apple reader like that)

25. simmo0916 macrumors member

Yes, 100%.

It doesnt need retina, It will already look better than the iPad 2 so I will be happy.