Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikefn2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
So, with the iPhone 5 on the way in the coming months, it's a guarantee that it will be a success.

For us users that have an iPhone 4S and are not eligible for an upgrade for the 5:

Will you wait for the "5S" or will you pay the extra money and get the 5?

For me, since I'm a college student, I clearly don't have the spare money to go ahead and buy the 5 but I would if I could. But to think about things, waiting for the "5S" is not really a bad thing either.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ive enjoyed my 4. Particularly that even though 4S came out my 4 doesn't seem outdated. Still looks the same, same display. The processing difference is marginal and no apps exclude it. In public one cant tell. Nothing about 4S made me want one.

I fully intended to keep my 4 until it died. 4-5 years. But mother is itching for smartphone. And passing this one down to her may make sense and then upgrading. Not excited about the iPhone getting even larger. It took me awhile to get over the iPhone 4's porky stature when I had to upgrade from my KRZR.

Nikefn2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Absolutely no basis to think there will be a 5s

What do you mean no basis? There was a 3GS and a 4S. If they are considering following that trend then there will be a 5S. I really don't care what its called. Maybe i should say, the iPhone after the 5.

----------

Ive enjoyed my 4. Particularly that even though 4S came out my 4 doesn't seem outdated. Still looks the same, same display. The processing difference is marginal and no apps exclude it. In public one cant tell. Nothing about 4S made me want one.

I fully intended to keep my 4 until it died. 4-5 years. But mother is itching for smartphone. And passing this one down to her may make sense and then upgrading. Not excited about the iPhone getting even larger. It took me awhile to get over the iPhone 4's porky stature when I had to upgrade from my KRZR.

Finally someone else who's not too excited about a larger display. I thought I was the only one. I don't mind the fact that it might/will be a larger display but it wasn't something at the top of my list.

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
Wirelessly posted

It'll be called iPhone 4G. Then the one after that...iPhone 4GS.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What do you mean no basis? There was a 3GS and a 4S. If they are considering following that trend then there will be a 5S. I really don't care what its called. Maybe i should say, the iPhone after the 5.

If it helps, you can feel free to read this question as "Will you get the next generation iPhone or will you wait for the generation following the next."

And that would make sense
Calling it the 5s does not IMO
I find the names to be fairly meaningless and wish they would drop them like the iPad

My answer is... yes, will prolly get this new one (and the next)
I had the 3GS, the 4 and currently have the 4S

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

----------

Finally someone else who's not too excited about a larger display. I thought I was the only one. I don't mind the fact that it might/will be a larger display but it wasn't something at the top of my list.

Alright, I'll be that guy. First, I'll wager anything you'd like, it WILL NOT be called the iPhone 5. The iPhone 3G and 3Gs were numbered such because of the addition of 3G connectivity. The iPhone 4 was actually the 4th iPhone but the fifth version was the 4s, named as such because it basically was a speed bump or because of the addition of Siri, take your pick. Who knows what it'll be called--my personal opinion is iPhone LTE to emphasize the key new addition to the iPhone.

And to answer the OP's question...yeah, as much as I don't need it, I've had every version and will definitely be getting the next one.

Last edited:

NippleFox

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Why would you even think that there will be a 5S anyway?lol. Let say it does, its gonna be another year to wait though.Can you wait that long?:D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted

It'll be called iPhone 4G. Then the one after that...iPhone 4GS.

I don't think so, considering the iPhone 4s is '4G' capable--at least that is what mine says in the upper left corner ;).

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Sorry but you and those that go on about what the phone will be called need to get a life or something.

Why do you care what it's called? When OP said 5/5s you knew what they were talking about based on your response. Why go into what it might be called?

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Apple and iPhone

As much as I am a die hearted iPhone user and Apple product loyalist for several years I am beginning to become disheartened with the restrictions placed on the users by Apple.
We the users deserve the right to have a fully unlocked phone to customize it however we feel the need to.
We deserve the right to an unlocked unit to change our service provider without the additional expense currently existing to have an unlocked unit.
I agree with the concept to make Apple products different from the masses. i just believe we should not be imprisoned by our products just for wanting a difference.:apple:
And it is with this feeling of confinement I see some of my long time Apple users going over to the Android side of life.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry but you and those that go on about what the phone will be called need to get a life or something.

Why do you care what it's called? When OP said 5/5s you knew what they were talking about based on your response. Why go into what it might be called?

Listen, we're all arguing about any number of iDevice/Mac related issues on a forum online...we ALL need to get a life.

Nikefn2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011

Lol! Yeah, I didn't think there would be much of a discussion about what it would be called. I figured common sense would tell people what I meant.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Lol! Yeah, I didn't think there would be much of a discussion about what it would be called. I figured common sense would tell people what I meant.

It only has a bearing on the discussion in that a 5S implies (for many) a minor spec bump only, when that indeed may not be the case at all

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Well if the new iphone has 4G LTE then i could care less if it has a design change I will be buying it. However, it will have a design change plus I have my upgrade. I am in for one. Not to mention im on Sprint. Unlimited Data! Peace of Mind!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Alright, I'll be that guy. First, I'll wager anything you'd like, it WILL NOT be called the iPhone 5. The iPhone 3G and 3Gs were numbered such because of the addition of 3G connectivity. The iPhone 4 was actually the 4th iPhone but the fifth version was the 4s, named as such because it basically was a speed bump or because of the addition of Siri, take your pick. Who knows what it'll be called--my personal opinion is iPhone LTE to emphasize the key new addition to the iPhone.

And to answer the OP's question...yeah, as much as I don't need it, I've had every version and will definitely be getting the next one.

iPhone LTE-S;)

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I will be getting the iPhone5 as soon as it is available. I love my 4, but can't wait for the 5. I feel fairly confident that it will be iPhone5 since Apple has secured the domain name after a protracted battle.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I will certainly get a next-generation iPhone since I do not use presently an iPhone (I am currently using an android phone from Motorola).

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
If the new iPhone this year shapes up to be a total redesign and meet up all the hype. I'll be getting it.
I probably won't be getting the next one because I'll probably be on contract, still haven't decided if I want to buy out right just not to be on a contract and probably won't get the one next year because for the most part it probably will just be a processor and camera boost.

I got the 4 but didn't see any reason to get the 4S as the 4 for me was still getting the job done.

I really hope this years phone brings a lot of goodies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.