Will you give Safari another chance with Tiger?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As with many people, I have not used Safari as my primary browser for a very long time. I have been an avid Firefox fan, and still am...but...

With the claimed speed improvements of Safari 2.0 in Tiger, I will be giving it another chance.

How about you? Have you been a deserter, now drawn back with v2?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Safari is very fast in Tiger. It loads up new pages like it were in cache. It resizes much smoother as well. RSS and Private browsing are the two really big new features in Safari.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've always used Safari, I found FF too buggy. But Safari 2.0 is much faster and hasn't beachballed on me yet :D

Comment

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I use Safari right now and i have no probs with it. Of course I will use Safari 2 :D

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
munkle said:
How does Safari v1.3 on Panther compare to Safari on Tiger?
On my system, 1.3 beachballed excessively. Sure, rendering was faster than 1.2, but overall stability made it worse than 1.2 in my opinion. 2.0, on the other hand, appears to render faster than 1.3 and is an order of magnitude more stable :)

In addition, it has new features like RSS, inline PDF viewing, private browsing, and an inability to disable the Google bar :(

Comment

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Yeh i am starting using Safari again, i was using FF before mainly really. The latest update has made Safari competitively fast with FF, although i still much prefer the gui/short cuts in FF.
I guess i will use Safari 2 when i get Tiger, i love the RSS it adds. Two things i would love them to do with Safari is add a spring loading tab button (too much to ask??) and add the Mail GUI (as someone on this forum is/has done) - i really dislike the brushed metal, it looks so dated.

Comment

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've always said I'll give Safari 2 a chance... and if it's better than Firefox I'll switch back for sure...

But it has to work in my internet bank, it gotta give me control over which places to NOT block pop-ups, it's gotta give me more control (ten Safari 1.x) over which content I can avoid without questionable 3rd party hacks (the extentions in Firefox seems more stable than some of the addons in Safari), has better tab-control (does not quit when I accidently hit cmd-Q instead of cmd-W with lots of tabs open), adds a search function better than Firefox' searchbar and, a small nuisance in the end, Safari has to start showing the alt-tag contents if an image is missing and not the stupid question mark...

Given those conditions I'll switch back in a minute... ;)

Comment

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
For those who use FireFox but prefer the looks of Safari here's a rather pimpin' theme.

And after what Nermal said, I'll be sticking with Safari when I finally get my hands on Tiger (8 days and counting!).

Comment

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Safari suits me quite well, thank you.

I have FF installed but seldom use it.

I know that we all have differebt needs, but for now Safari meets all of mine. I can't wait for the next revision... well, I can, and must. I just want it NOW. Are we a bunch of spoiled brats? Yes, we are.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
it gotta give me control over which places to NOT block pop-ups
Nope :(

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
has better tab-control (does not quit when I accidently hit cmd-Q instead of cmd-W with lots of tabs open)
It still doesn't warn you like FF does.

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Safari has to start showing the alt-tag contents if an image is missing and not the stupid question mark...
Can't check this one as I haven't had a missing image yet. Come to think of it, I haven't had that error where it suddenly decides that it can't load a page either.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's funny how Apple likes to say that they're all standards-compliant. The HTML spec requires all images to have an alt tag, yet 'standards-compliant' Safari ignores the tags :rolleyes:

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Have you tried Camino? Honestly I haven't used it much, but it seems to be more Mac-like than Firefox.

Comment

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Help a computer-savvy-albeit-RSS-ignorant fella out - what's RSS and why should I be concerned? I haven't had a problem with safari from 10.2.8 on my ibook, and I have to say, it even works with my bankofamerica.com sight. What's RSS and some problems?

Thanks, y'all!
-badhorsie777 :D

Comment

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nermal said:
Have you tried Camino? Honestly I haven't used it much, but it seems to be more Mac-like than Firefox.
Yes, didn't like it, and it actually misses many of the features I appreciate in Firefox...

I don't really care that buttons on webforms aren't aqua... I can live very well with these:

Attachments

Comment

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
i Don't actually like aqua buttons on web sites. they often look out of place.

I've been using Firefox for ages now but I will be trying out Safari 2. Safari 1.3 is notably faster with 10.3.9 but I still prefer Firefox.

As said above.. i've "pimped my ride" with firefox and got the safari theme ages ago. It's not quite the same.. but it gives you a smile.

Comment

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I downloaded FF when it was launched but reverted/sticked with Safari as the only benifit I saw in my use was compatability with certain sites. I know only use FF or IE when Safari won't plat nice with a specific site. For example I've tried booking flights with one airline website (either BE or BMI), an independent French campsite and with Eurocamp/KeyCamp through their seperate website and none would except dates picked from list in Safari but took them happily from FF/IE. Even Disney's website wouldn't work with Safari, I'd pick a date say 15th from one dropdown menu and then a month and so on, hit submit and be told that it wouldn't accept 1/1/74 on something.

Comment

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
I use Firefox on my Mac now. I tried Safari in Panther, but I didn't give it much time and quickly installed Firefox which I've been happily using since. I plan to give Safari 2 more time to really get a better feel for it once my copy of Tiger arrives - can't wait.

Comment

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I use both Firefox and Safari now. If 2.0 is fast, I'll probably shift back towards almost exclusively using Safari. It seems to do better on tabs and forms than Firefox, for one thing. Plus, it is nice and brushed-metally.

Comment

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'll probably at least give it a try, if/when I get around to upgrading. I think this time around I'm going to wait until I see a feature I really need before I upgrade.

Comment

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
They say Safari 1.3 that came in 10.3.9 has the same core as Safari 2, so Safari 1.3 is probably about the speed that Safari 2 is going to be.

Safari 1.3 has made me switch back, from Firefox, so I will likely be on Safari, with Tiger too.

Comment