Will You Give Up Your Unlimited Data For LTE???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simm0nS777, Mar 29, 2011.

?

Would You Give Up Unlimited Data For LTE Speeds?

1. I Would Give Up My Unlimited Data for LTE and a Newer Phone

45 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I Would Keep My Unlimited Data and Stick with a Previous iPhone

60 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

****Please only vote if you have unlimited otherwise it will obviously skew the results thanks!!!****

Title pretty much says it all. I still have the 3GS. If the next iPhone happens to have LTE, I assume AT&T will make you give up your unlimited data. If so Id be tempted to just pick up the iPhone 4. Its kind of a toss up to me if faster speeds are worth giving up unlimited data!!!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Apple will force the carriers to bid for service for all iPhone users. No I will not give up my unlimited data plan.:mad:

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    Im happy with my HSPA+ speeds.
    Dont know if I'd want to give me my unlimited even though I dont use alot of data. Decisions, decisions......

4. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where are you getting HSPA+ speeds and what device?

5. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

I doubt the next iPhone will have features significant enough for me to throw away my unlimited data for a low 2GB.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right now Im getting around 6Mbps down and easy 1-2Mbps up in the New England area with my iphone 4. If the next iphone is HSPA+ and since my area is upgraded to that I'd stick with that.

7. mltaylor macrumors regular

Id give up my unlimited for 2 or 3 gigs a month. I never use 2 gigs now but Id prob watch more Netflix with more speed.

8. Simm0nS777, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gotcha...

Edit: Im a tard

9. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I guess its a very easy answer for someone who doesnt even need more than 2GB but still has the unlimited plan.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

AT&T is going to piss off alot of people if they don't provide an unlimited package for LTE. Streaming in higher resolutions is already a data hog.

I'm still ticked I am stuck at 200 MB after switching to another account. I use Edge speeds with Opera Mini to the compress data with my iPhone and still go over 200 MB easily after 2-3 days. And this is just leaving mostly comments on here or YouTube.

I want to eventually switch to LTE, but at this early stages of 4G, the price for our plans and battery life will be affected greatly. If speeds go up, data usage goes up and so will cost. And battery life will go down. See the trade-off? Having the 3G already makes it WORSE than if you used WiFi and its video quality is still pixelated and slower to load when I stream it on YouTube. And I live in Los Angeles.

Check the HTC ThunderBolt - Less than 4 HOURS usage. No different than what Evo 4G users were experiencing last summer. 2.5 hours of web browsing on Verizon's LTE? That's pathetic. Stick to your older phones. Not too many benefits with 4G speed right now since it still comes at a cost and battery technology is still immature for it.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03/18/htc-thunderbolt-battery-life/

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I dont like about LTE also.
    Im ok with 3G speeds but if my battery dies within an hour of using 4G then I dont even want to bother.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

who says 2GB will be the cap? Faster data = more use...although its probably too much to hope for, you can imagine that theres at least a chance that ATT ups the cap for LTE

also, since ATT still has no LTE network, I doubt Apple will make an LTE version for verizon and a 3G version for ATT...until both LTE networks are ready, I don't think we'll see LTE

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

New England is an area that is in the US. ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England

Not only that, I don't want to pay more for data just for LTE. My 3G speeds are fine and I hardly use 3G so I'm not going to pay more for LTE. I hope they dont charge more for LTE, or at least give the option to users to use 3G data (instead of forcing LTE plans ... which i doubt)

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Tough one. I'd have to see if the upgrade is worth it... If not for the next iPhone, then the one after that.

15. iLucas macrumors 6502

Since my tethered iPhone 3g connection is my main source of home internet, I will stick with the unlimited data plan as long as possible. I don't use large amounts of internet, but with living in the middle of corn fields in the middle of the US, internet options are scarce.

16. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha wow Im dumb I read that as England.

So Apple, if you are in the US how does this HSPA+ thing work? Is it just a faster 3G? i thought it was a completely different network different than 3G that needed the phone to be capable of it, kinda like LTE.

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Would VZW grandfather you into LTE iPhone if you have LTE now? Might be better to get on VZW now if you want unltd LTE for the iPhone.

18. skidog1111 macrumors member

cloud computing

Having cloud access to data, as noted recently by amazon and rumored update to apple's mobileme, will be a data hog. 2 gb may not last a day in some situations. I think i will keep my unlimited (while they still offer it). I can see the phone companies eliminating unlimited as quickly as possible.

19. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

If the At&T doesn't offer Unlimited for LTE iPhones if they come out this year. I'll just upgrade to the iPhone 4. I hope that will not be the case

20. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Last time I looked at a map, New England was in the states...Did they move it?:D

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

VZW currently offer unltd LTE so I wonder if that will apply to an LTE iPhone?

22. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahah I know I already responded about it...read it as England!! Duhhh!!

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not a question of will we. It's only a matter of time until we have to.

24. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will people moving to LTE make the 3G networks better or worse? Not sure how all that works same towers but different speeds? Id assume itd make 3G worse but what do I know?

25. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree...It's only a matter of time.