Will you need to disable Face Id?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danysl, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. danysl macrumors member

danysl

There seems to be some scenarios where face id would have to be disabled.

Let's say for instance wearing a halloween costume, using strange sunglasses, having something on your face like bandages maybe or a scuba mask. I don't know what else but people use their phones everywhere nowadays.

Do you guys think it could be a deal breaker?

2. Diorama macrumors regular

I think it would just not recognise you and you would have to enter the passcode, just the same as if you had disabled FaceID anyway. I don’t think it will be any hassle.

3. iSayBoourns macrumors 6502

iSayBoourns

Totally a deal breaker because of one night out of an entire year :rolleyes:

4. Relentless Power, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

There is no deal breaker unless somebody wasn't interested in it And Face ID can resort to a passcode if somebody needed it. It Has to have a failsafe as it is.

5. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

Just like Touch ID, if it fails yo enter your passcode. You have to enter your password every so often any way. Like after restarting or after a certain number of hours / days etc.

That said glasses or a bandage shouldn’t be a problem for the machine learning. If you are covering your face it may be an issue.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

People are losing sleep over what might prevent face ID from working.

7. iSayBoourns macrumors 6502

iSayBoourns

Because they want Apple to fail. So they spend every waking moment dreaming up 0.1% scenarios that would “prove” they do.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed. It is like asking what will happen if you have heavy leather gloves on and can’t use Touch ID.

9. iSayBoourns macrumors 6502

iSayBoourns

That scenario doesn’t exist, because it doesn’t make the new, worse.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You wouldn’t have to disable it, just use your passcode in that particular instance.

11. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Gonna skip the halloween costume and go with Animoji and snap filters. Save some money after the iPhone X purchase.

12. santela macrumors regular

Wouldn’t you just swipe up and enter ur passcode? No need to disable.

13. Oliveira46, Oct 10, 2017

Oliveira46 macrumors member

Oliveira46

It's like when touch-ID launched...

"uhh... they are going to send my fingerprint to FBI"

"uhhh.. my girlfriend can mutilate my finger and unlock my phone!!!"

in 2017 the cops are going to steal your phone and point it to your face... lol

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Everybody who buys the x will use face ID and love it i’mn Sure..

People just don’t like change.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

The thread title intrigued me. I thought this was going to be about privacy or employer-mandated disabling of face ID. You know, for employees that work in secure/confidential environments.

Forgive my oversimplification, but face ID uses camera that turns itself on, yes? Does anyone outside of Apple know how much of the surroundings that camera takes in?

Or, looking at just the users’ personal privacy; take webcams built into laptops. In every office I visit, the webcams are taped over by their users. People don’t like being watched (or just the possibility of being watched).

This might be why Apple launched both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X together? Let the market decide, perhaps?

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It doesn’t use a camera, it uses an array of infrared dots, hence it works in even complete darkness. So it’s not like it’s taking a picture of you or your environment.

17. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Actually meant touch ID

18. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

While I truly believe Touch ID is more convenient and I think I’ll like it more than face Id it doesn’t mean I’m not going to like face id. I feel like people are just ready to bash it for no reason.

Did people disable Touch ID because they washed their hands or were going to be by a pool and their fingerprints wouldn’t work for a short time? Or it was raining or too cold out and they had clothes on?

Nope you can just enter the password during those moments just like when face id isn’t going to work for a certain situation.

Both have pros and cons. And I know some people like my wife who has never used Touch ID and probably won’t use face id because she doesn’t care to use a passcode.

19. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

I wonder if it has retina scanning.

It's just the missus wakes up and she's all normal looking, but before she leaves the house she's all make-up'd. The difference between the two is vast.

20. Freakonomics101, Oct 10, 2017

Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I'm just seeing Face ID as a beta right now, for the next twelve months. Authorities can grab your phone and put it to your face to unlock it, like someone else mentioned. I'm not convinced by Apple to like it. I am sticking with Touch ID.

21. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

I wonder if Face ID will work for the mummy.

[​IMG]

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't believe it scans retinas, but no make-up is going to change the structure and measurements of a person's face.

23. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

What about fake eyelashes?!

24. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

If you are concerned about this use case, than FaceID is definitely not for you.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If it's sensitive enough to measure eyelashes then I am truly impressed.