Will you now wait until the Fall to buy iPad with 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. coolwater macrumors 6502a


    Jun 8, 2009
    1. Will Apple charge for 4.0 upgrade for iPad, too?

    2. If yes, will you just wait until the fall in order to avoid the extra cost?
  2. diabolic macrumors 68000

    Jun 13, 2007
    Austin, Texas
  3. ijen0311 macrumors 65816


    Jul 4, 2009
    No, I'd rather spend these months with the iPad instead!
  4. epi117 macrumors 6502

    Mar 8, 2010
  5. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
    By the time I get my iPad, I expect it to have hit 4.1 or 4.2 (2nd gen around this time next year).
  6. ImperialX macrumors 65816


    Jul 17, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    If anyone is going to wait for 4.0, they might as well just wait for the next gen iPad.
  7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2009
    My philosophy, probably nothing earth-shattering.

    Everyone pays within 10% of retail price for apple products (not counting used, or dubious source). Everyone gets ripped off the same amount and there is comfort in that. Further, Apple doesn't drop prices by 50% in 6 months like Dell does. Prices only go down once a new model is coming out, and you can pretty much tell when that's going to happen by reading around. By the time Apple updates, typically 9-12 months from now, you're not upset if they do update. So knowing that the ipad will still be $499 6 months from now, you might as well buy it now. Saving an extra $50 6 months from now (for a refurb model or something like that) is not a big enough incentive for me to wait. It is for alot of people, but not me. Then when os 4.0 comes out, it'll be like getting additional features b/c I will know what it was like to go without them. The iPad is hardly unusable right now as is. Further, the monetary difference between 16 gb and 64 gb is not a big deal to most people. Why? If you can come up with $500, you surely can come up with $700. It's coming up with the first $500 that's the hard part. The extra $200 may hurt up front, but in six months, I doubt most people will be feeling that $200 anymore.
    That's just how I operate.
  8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 10, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see a point in waiting if I didn't have mine already, I'd buy it now.
  9. Raje macrumors member

    Mar 2, 2010
    I will be waiting for gen 2 or 3. I have no need for the ipad right now but I would like one in the future, when websites are converted to HTML and when the ipad has a camera, A9 processor, more ram and more storage space for lower cost:rolleyes:
  10. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
    I'm waiting because I don't have a need for it now. In 1 year, I will. I'd love to get one now, really, but I'll hold off and resist temptation.
  11. r0k macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I have one. I want OS 4 but I don't need OS 4. I have workarounds for most of the things I think my current OS doesn't do quite right. I'm sure I can make it until fall. The only reason I might take mine back is to get the 3g version. I'm very interested in being able to get my iPad on the net anywhere any time.
  12. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 30, 2007
    I'm going to wait until they release an iPhone OS "XP".
  13. khanriazaoif macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2007

    Are you serious about the second part of your question? First off the iPad will get the update for free but your asking would I wait potentially 6 months to save $10!!!

    I'm not saying $10 is something to throw away but don't cry when it's updating your $600 device.
  14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040


    Jul 13, 2008
    Does $10 really sound crazy considering that you get to keep the device for an extra six months at the least? If you buy it in the fall it's likely there will be a new model soon after afterwards, so you'll become disappointed quickly when you realize your three month old iPad is outdated.
  15. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

    Aug 10, 2009
    I wonder if OS 4.0 for iPad would coincide with the release of the second generation iPad.
  16. keyofnight macrumors regular


    Mar 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA.
    The way I see it, buying first gen is a temporary investment.

    I have a yearly tradition of selling the iPhones to pay for a new one. Here's how I do it.

    If my phone has a problem (usually screen burn in, hairline cracks, or something where they'll replace it), I'll just ignore it. When Apple announces the new phone, I buy it in the best model—for instance, iPhone 4g. The same day, I use my nifty warranty to get a replacement for the old model, the 3gs. That night, I jailbreak the old one, take photos, and put it on ebay.

    Someone will want it, if only just because they can't afford the newest one or have T-Mobile—so I usually get more money than I put into the phone in the first place. I'm not sure if it'll work the same with the iPad, I might have to sell for a bit less. Consider it a year-long rental fee. (;
  17. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

    Feb 5, 2010
    Have you nothing else to do?

    No friends?

    Get a life!
  18. DKatri macrumors 6502

    Sep 2, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Whats the point in waiting, you have the whole of the summer to enjoy you're iPad and then it'll get better in the fall. With apple stuff if you wait 6 months you might aswell wait a year.
  19. sassenach74 macrumors 65816


    May 3, 2008
    Hampshire, England
    That was uncalled for.
  20. UCF Sam macrumors regular

    Mar 4, 2010
    The fall upgrade will likely be in 6 months, the next gen iPad will likely be a minimum of a year... So another 6 months on top of the wait for 4.0.

    I'd say, buy it now if you want it... If you wait on technology, you'll always be waiting for the next best thing.
  21. Hawke macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    True, especially if OS 4.0 is loaded with iChat, where there is a possibility for front facing camera. No point in wait for so long for the new OS, when there is always that possibility of the new gen having a cam or two a couple months after that, so best buy now. But then again.. I could be wrong
  22. UCF Sam macrumors regular

    Mar 4, 2010
    Highly doubtful... iPad will likely be on a yearly hardware refresh like the ipod touch and iphone. There is a slight possibility that they might make a 128gb version in 6 months, (like they added the option for 32gb on the 1st gen touch 6 months after its release) but the hardware will remain 1st generation.
  23. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jun 8, 2009
    OP here


    1. I didn't know Apple said they won't charge the upgrade fee.

    2. I didn't know the fee is only $10. I thought it's more like $30 or $35, but I now think waiting 5 months to save $30 is not worth the wait.
  24. WLS macrumors 65816

    Jul 10, 2008
    It will coincide with the release of the next generation iPod Touch which will also have the A4 chip since it will follow the lead of the next iPhone.
    It is possible that at that time there will be news of a newer smaller iPad Mini which I would prefer.

Share This Page