Will you purchase AppleCare+ with your Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Photography, Apr 9, 2015.

?

Will you purchase AppleCare+ with your Apple Watch?

1. Yes, I am purchasing the Sport model and will purchase AppleCare+.

17.1%
  2. No, I am purchasing the Sport model and won't purchase AppleCare+.

17.1%
  3. Yes, I am purchasing the Standard model and will purchase AppleCare+.

24.4%
  4. No, I am purchasing the Standard model and won't purchase AppleCare+.

22.8%
  5. Yes, I am purchasing the Gold model and will purchase AppleCare+.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, I am purchasing the Gold model and won't purchase AppleCare+.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am purchasing an Apple Watch, but I am still undecided as to whether I will purchase AppleCare+.

17.1%
  8. I am not purchasing the Apple Watch at all, but just wanted to vote in this poll anyway for fun.

1.6%
  1. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Will you purchase AppleCare+ with your Apple Watch? Complete with a poll!

Post the specific model/color/size that you'll buy in the comments, whether you'll purchase it with AppleCare+ and your reasoning behind your decision.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It seems to me that AC+ is a bad value for the Watch. Many of us have a credit card that doubles the warranty and given that it'll be on our wrist, there's no risk of dropping it. The sapphire crystal is scratch-resistant, and normal wear and tear (namely other scratches) aren't covered under AC+ anyway. It is IPX7 water resistant so we don't have to worry about water damage either.

Just purchase with a CC that doubles the warranty and skip AC+.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Credits cards extend the manufacture warranty. Not damage.

People will be shocked at the damage a watch takes. Especially people who do not wear watches currently. Without question I will get AC+

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

I will be buying it for peace of mind. Why the hell not. I'm spending $1500 bucks. What's another $150. :)

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Extended warranties by their nature aren't "worth it" since statistically you are better off saving the money and paying for repairs. Over time, you'll make out ahead. That said, if it covers the bands, particularly the link band, it could be relatively cheap peace of mind.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

The credit card just extends the normal manufacturers warranty and doesn't cover accidental damage. It also doesn't allow you to make an appointment at a Genius Bar to get the problem fixed during the second year. You also have to go through the credit card companies process and paper work. Also for me it's not an option as the card I'm using doesn't have that coverage anyway. As far as I'm concerned AppleCare Plus makes perfect sense.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

With Amex that paperwork is non-existent :)

This will most be more than my iPhone so it's an easy decision.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My point is accidental damage is pretty much moot on the Watch as it's worn on the wrist (no risk of dropping like iPhone) and it's water-resistant (water damage should be covered under standard warranty).

Amex didn't require paperwork for the few claims I filed (including on a iPhone).

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

I wouldn't say moot. You can drop it when putting it on. You can bang it into stuff. Like I said, it's peace of mind.

10. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I'm not going to get it. I never buy the extended warranty on anything.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

My point is that accidental damage is not moot just because it's a device you wear on the wrist. Accidents can still happen. If nothing else it's peace of mind especially as all you have to do is make a Genius Bar appointment. As for Amex cards not everyone has them. They're not exactly that widely accepted at least not here in the UK. In my opinion getting AppleCare Plus is worth it.

12. biosci macrumors 6502a

What are the limits on Amex? Does it cover accidental damage?

For AC+, does it cover the bands? Accidental damage on a leather band.... Hmmm.

13. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just about the only accidental damage that can happen is shattered screen as a result of flaying of the arm. AC+ doesn't cover scratches, which are considered normal wear and tear.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

In most cases I would agree especially when the warranty is with a third party and not the manufacturer. In the case of Apple products and AppleCare and AppleCare Plus that doesn't apply. Not to mention that if you're like me and upgrade every time a new model comes out its much easier to sell a device and get a better price if it still has a warranty. I've got more then I normally would with my last few iPhones and iPads due to still being covered by AppleCare or AppleCare Plus. Again because it gives the new owner peace of mind.

----------

Again I disagree. There is every possibility one could drop the watch possible on a hard surface. I've done that accidentally before and damaged a watch. Luckily it was a cheap one.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The standard warranty will cover water damage. Scratches are excluded under AC+, leaving shattered crystals as the only damage it'll cover.

17. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Is there any information about whether we can get AppleCare+ days later (like the iPhone's AppleCare+)?

18. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

Good question! I couldn't find any info on this just yet, but presumably you'd be able to do so.

19. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Standard warranty won't cover water damage if you caused it by immersing it in water or something, that would be considered accidental damage for which you would want AppleCare+. And shattered crystal the only damage it'll cover? A couple friends of mine were engaging in a little horseplay, one of them hit the other guy's watch and its crown fell off. This was in a dirty parking lot, he never found the crown, cost something like $200 to replace and fix. Also, some people end up banging their watches against doorframes and walls all the time. And how about this, you bang the watch into something, and it bends the strap connectors, you can no longer remove the current strap. Or you take the watch off at night, in the morning you groggily reach for it and knock it off your nightstand, one of the sensors gets damaged.

There are many reasons to get AppleCare+. Me, I'm not sure I'll get it, I never get (or need) extended warranty on devices, but a watch is out there on my wrist at ALL times. I'm definitely not getting AC+ tonight, I'm gonna decide over the first month (or however long you have before you can no longer sign up).

20. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Mines dependant on cost. If its $100 like iphone, maybe, It is a $700 watch. If its less ($50) for sure, worth it. If its more, like $199, nope.
    I expect itll be $99 with $49 per incident. Then i probably wouldnt.

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

Amex purchase protection will extend the warranty by a year. so if a year and a half later your watch battery goes kaput and you take it to the Apple Store and they charge you to fix/replace, Amex will likely reimburse you what you paid to get it fixed/replaced (no more than the amount you paid on the credit card and no more than $1000 total. Amex will also cover accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days (not loss, however, unless you've got platinum).

22. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

ehh still unsure i would like to have but price would be factor and upgrade cycle since im hoping to jump on upgrade cycle boat thats the reason i went for sport

23. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

My plan is buy the watch today and once it arrives I'll do the Apple Care. Can't wait, almost time to hit the rack and get some rest before waking up to order it.

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes I will buy it, but not immediately. I just wanna make sure that I will use it everyday before I do. This is my first watch I will wear daily, so.... yeah. :)

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The standard warranty will cover immersion as long as it falls within the IPX7 rating, e.g., it fails after proper hand washing regime (which requires you to get your wrists wet) due to a defect, you drop it in a sink full of water, etc. But if you say you went swimming with it deeper than 1 meter for more than 30 min, then, yes, you'll have voided the standard warranty.