Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
First, you assume that everyone on this board is based in the USA. It isn't wise to think that, as neither ATT, Verizon, nor Sprint are options for any of them. Also, most of those people are using GSM-capable phones.

No, it's obvious that the question is directed to those on the forum that do live in the US.

with that said, I like being able to drop a new sim card into my phone and using it in whatever country I am in. Since CDMA isn't used everywhere else like GSM is, they aren't an option.

The new phones are expected to be global phones. So wrong again. The Verizon phone should work fine in GSM only countries.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Whether or not you want GSM on overseas trip should not influence your choice here, because iPhone 5 is likely to support both mode.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
No, it's obvious that the question is directed to those on the forum that do live in the US.

and piss off everyone else with a US-only question.. great way to be all inclusive in teh interwebz. :rolleyes:

The new phones are expected to be global phones. So wrong again. The Verizon phone should work fine in GSM only countries.

I don't expect anything until it is released. That's why I find it funny with setting decisions based on what we expect to come out when we don't know anything/everything concrete. How about reserving your plans until Tuesday, then make your decisions.

So no, I'm not wrong. Like I said: for me, Jailbroken + unlocked + ATT = win.

BL.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
and piss off everyone else with a US-only question.. great way to be all inclusive in teh interwebz. :rolleyes:

Get used to it, happens all day long every day. Unless you care to go telling everyone that opens a discussion that is carrier specific that they are being insensitve and should stop. :rolleyes:

I don't expect anything until it is released. That's why I find it funny with setting decisions based on what we expect to come out when we don't know anything/everything concrete. How about reserving your plans until Tuesday, then make your decisions.

So no, I'm not wrong. Like I said: for me, Jailbroken + unlocked + ATT = win.

BL.

Sorry, but you are. Why not take your own advice and wait till Tuesday to make your decision? :confused:

Your decision may be correct for other reasons, but not for your uninformed statement about the next iPhone not working on a GSM network. That's an assumption that is most likely going to be proven incorrect.

Edit: And we have proof from the current CDMA iPhone to believe this. It's a very sound and logical conclusion.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Get used to it, happens all day long every day. Unless you care to go telling everyone that opens a discussion that is carrier specific that they are being insensitve and should stop. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is don't assume everyone here is from the USA, because they aren't.

Sorry, but you are. Why not take your own advice and wait till Tuesday to make your decision? :confused:

Your decision may be correct for other reasons, but not for your uninformed statement about the next iPhone not working on a GSM network. That's an assumption that is most likely going to be proven incorrect.

Who said I'm not waiting until Tuesday? You assumed I was. You also assume that I believe that the next iPhone wouldn't work on a GSM network. I never said that. All I said is that I am happy with taking my ATT JB/unlocked iPhone 3G, dropping another netowrk's sim card in it, and using it overseas, without incurring any of ATT's international roaming charges. Doing that on a straight CDMA network may only work in China, S. Korea, and possibly Japan when KDDI gets the phone. If so, lucky them. Otherwise for me, CDMA < GSM.

So I say again: for me, iPhone 3G + Jailbroken + unlocked + ATT = win.

BL.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
All I'm saying is don't assume everyone here is from the USA, because they aren't.

I don't think the OP assumed everyone on the boards were from the U.S. I think the OP is from the U.S. and wants other U.S. citizens opinions on what they are doing if a certain scenario happens on Tuesday. Switching from one U.S. carrier to another U.S. carrier....I don't understand how someone outside of the U.S. would be able to answer this opinion-based question, so it's not insensitive, it's really about who can answer and who can't.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I don't travel and Sprint is the best deal so I think I may actually leave AT&T for Sprint.
Deals are only good for a limited time & subject to change. Sprint will be increasing their prices shortly after they offer the iPhone. They are too small of a carrier to be able to bear the extra expense of selling iPhones without passing the cost to the consumer. There's been several articles about this over the last few months.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Who assumed that?

Who said I'm not waiting until Tuesday? You assumed I was. You also assume that I believe that the next iPhone wouldn't work on a GSM network. I never said that.

You're last line says you aren't waiting until Tuesday. You've already posted your decision.

And yes, you did say that.

Since CDMA isn't used everywhere else like GSM is, they aren't an option.

And since this thread is about Verizon, you are saying the Verizon version won't work everywhere; that it will only be CDMA.

And you said it again here:

Doing that on a straight CDMA network may only work in China, S. Korea, and possibly Japan when KDDI gets the phone. If so, lucky them. Otherwise for me, CDMA < GSM.

Why would you make such a statement unless you are denying that the Verizon phone is most likely a global phone?

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Kind of similar to the OP in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1236970/, using your logic he/she assumed everyone was from the UK? As previously mentioned, the OP is in the US and was directing the question to US members.

To stay on topic, I already switched to Verizon as soon as the iPhone was made available. Depending on what we hear Tuesday, I may sell my iPhone 4, otherwise I will keep my iPhone 4 until we see an LTE version on Verizon.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
absolutely not. ATT lets you upgrade every year and is much faster (atleast on 3g). If the next phone is a global phone I wonder how long itll take people to try and bring their phone from one service to another and bitch when the former carrier wont unlock it.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
This should be the rule of thumb, really:

If iPhone 5 = HSPA+, then AT&T

If iPhone 5 = LTE, then Verizon

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Who assumed that?

The OP.

You're last line says you aren't waiting until Tuesday. You've already posted your decision.

And yes, you did say that.

No-where in my post did I say that I was not waiting until Tuesday. Once again, you ASSUMED that I wasn't waiting. what you aren't getting is that I already have ATT as my provider, and have with my iPhone 3G for the past 3 years; hence Jailbroken and unlocked.
I suggest you re-read my post again.

BTW. Get your 'yours' right, and stop letting autocorrect do your typing for you.

And since this thread is about Verizon, you are saying the Verizon version won't work everywhere; that it will only be CDMA.

And you said it again here:

Why would you make such a statement unless you are denying that the Verizon phone is most likely a global phone?

Because VZW's CDMA-based iPhone doesn't mean jack on O2's network, 3's network, BT's network, Softbank's network, Telstra's network, Telus' network, Rogers' network, Optus' network, Vodafone's network, or any other network without serious international roaming charges; charges I could do without by simply dropping a new sim card into my GSM iPhone, and boom! I have service. Any attempt to do that with a CDMA iPhone gets you an iPod Touch, because it uses an ESN, instead of the sim.

Like I said before, KDDI, China Unicom, and the CDMA provider that is used in S. Korea (I believe it is SK Telecom) are currently the only other CDMA carriers with the iPhone outside of Verizon. So your CDMA iPhone MIGHT work with them, but from what I've read, their frequencies are NOT compatible with the VZW iPhone; so you're SOL.

But i digress. you can keep believing you have the world-phone and that I've already made up my mind. Actually, I'll grant you that; I've already made up my mind, and will stay with ATT; that way, I can enjoy my current iPhone anywhere I go, on any network I can take my phone to. Good luck doing that with Verizon. When the new ones come out, I'll re-evaluate.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Based on what? If he didn't mention Verizon, which clearly states the thread is directed at the US, then you might have an argument.

At this point I'm thinking you're just here to pick a fight.

No-where in my post did I say that I was not waiting until Tuesday. Once again, you ASSUMED that I wasn't waiting. what you aren't getting is that I already have ATT as my provider, and have with my iPhone 3G for the past 3 years; hence Jailbroken and unlocked.
I suggest you re-read my post again.

BTW. Get your 'yours' right, and stop letting autocorrect do your typing for you.

I know you know this:
Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch. When other people (especially new members) fail to search and start new threads on old topics, don't scold them or make them feel unwelcome. The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread or specific instructions for problem solving. Set a good example yourself by searching first before starting a thread if you have a question that may already have been answered in the forums or you want to discuss a topic that may already have been discussed.

Because VZW's CDMA-based iPhone doesn't mean jack on O2's network, 3's network, BT's network, Softbank's network, Telstra's network, Telus' network, Rogers' network, Optus' network, Vodafone's network, or any other network without serious international roaming charges; charges I could do without by simply dropping a new sim card into my GSM iPhone, and boom! I have service. Any attempt to do that with a CDMA iPhone gets you an iPod Touch, because it uses an ESN, instead of the sim.

Nobody said the current Verizon iPhone would.

you can keep believing you have the world-phone

I have an AT&T iPhone, it is not a world-phone and I never claimed to have such a device.

What part of this argument are you missing? Why are you arguing about current phones? What part of Global iPhone do you not understand? Did you just jump on this board after a long time away without realizing the context of the threads currently on the board?

The new Verizon iPhone will work on all of those networks just like the new AT&T iPhone will. So your entire argument about staying on AT&T is moot.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I switched to Verizon, glad I did.. There's hardly any dead zones in my area, and it's way better than AT&T and T-Mobile in my area. When I had AT&T I got horrible service out here, then I switched to T-Mobile, still horrible service, then I finally tried Verizon and it's amazing!! Sprint is pretty good in my area, but haven't thought about going there... Only thing I'll miss is the ability to use my phone anywhere in the world... but I don't plan on traveling that often anymore, so I should be good :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.