Will you switch to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Oct 2, 2011.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

If your contract is up and you are planning on upgrading will you move over to Verizon or Sprint from AT&T?

I think I will despite the slower speeds etc.

2. npep macrumors member

I already did a few months ago...just waiting to see what iPhone I will get. I will know Tuesday.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

No, GSM is still important for me when I am in need of international roaming.

4. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

But what if the new phone supports GSM as well so you can be on Verizon but also use it abroad...

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Waiting for LTE.

I'll use my iPhone 4 when I travel. Won't feel as bad if something happens to it.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You did not state if you had bad coverage or not so I will base this next sentence on the sole fact that you just want to switch to be different.

"Hurr hurr, who cares if i l00se data speed. its not cull to like at&T LLOLOLOLOL."

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, in my eyes GSM technology is superior. Plus, service is excellent (and cheaper) in my area.

8. DerfBWH macrumors regular

Yep. Moving to Sprint as soon as the iPhone 5's released. Can't wait. AT&T gets dreadful service in the Boston area.

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I don't travel and Sprint is the best deal so I think I may actually leave AT&T for Sprint.

10. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

sprint! cheapest and best service in my area from what i see, hear, and know:eek:

11. chewbee macrumors member

Anyone in NYC have Sprint? How's their coverage in the city? My AT&T calls are constantly garbled or dropped wherever I go...

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Nope, still happy with ATT. Service is good for me and I still have my unlimited data plan. Now if my unlimited is taken away, I might look at Sprint.

Sprint is pretty good in NYC. Same for Verizon & ATT in my experience. I only had call quality issues with T-mobile.

BTW .... GSM service is working on many Subway platforms now(especially downtown stations). Not in trains under tunnels tho.

13. eyespii macrumors 6502

Possibly gonna leave AT&T for Verizon. If the new iPhone is GSM/CDMA compatible, any chance that the phone itself will be unlocked so you could use verizon here in the states, but then local SIM cards when traveling internationally?

14. Geckotek, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'd bet my paycheck that's the case for the CDMA version.

Edit: I'm an idiot that should have looked up existing global phones on Verizon.

15. shadrap macrumors 6502

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T and don't want to lose that so Verizon isn't an option. Sprint is out because their service is awful and almost unusable in my area.

17. eyespii macrumors 6502

You think so? If they are, they definitely wouldn't be selling them at $200 on contract. The current AT&T phones are not unlocked - gotta pay a pretty huge premium for the factory unlocked versions.

18. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

If you have the iphone 4 it does not matter if your contract is up, you can just sell it and pay your ETF and still have money left over to pay for the new phone on the new carrier. You could do this every year if you want actually.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why not? Verizon isn't GSM so why would it matter? And what would they lock it to? They don't have GSM sims.

20. eyespii macrumors 6502

Verizon is CDMA, but they know that their customers want to use their phones internationally. The actually do currently sell some droids that are cdma/gsm (i think the incredible 2), and the GSM is locked. They want you to be able to roam internationally, but you're still stuck paying international roaming fees. They prolly got some sweet contracts in place with their overseas GSM partners or something.

Just wondering if Apple and the iPhone have enough clout to not be locked down like this. Hoping...

21. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

If it supports HSPA+ (it will if the China Unicom alleged leaked slides is real) and not LTE, it would make sense to stick with AT&T. If it supports both HSPA+ and LTE, then its a different story.

I suspect it will not have LTE, which is why Verizon and TMobile wants to be able sell Samsung with LTE capability to avoid being run over by AT&T. Such action would no doubt anger Apple, and they would not have taken this position lightly unless they know that iPhone supports HSPA+ but not LTE.

22. cward0715 macrumors regular

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hmmm...guess I should have Googled this before betting my paycheck and looking foolish. :eek:

24. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

ATT will not lure me with hspa+. They've been subpar for me in providing data and there was a time when I was dropping nearly every other call. I was in contract and had to pay for that bad service. I'll try Verizon because I've heard sprint is non existent in my area.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

First, you assume that everyone on this board is based in the USA. It isn't wise to think that, as neither ATT, Verizon, nor Sprint are options for any of them. Also, most of those people are using GSM-capable phones.

with that said, I like being able to drop a new sim card into my phone and using it in whatever country I am in. Since CDMA isn't used everywhere else like GSM is, they aren't an option. I've been happy with ATT and a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone, and have no reason to switch to Verizon. They offer nothing for me; Sprint isn't an option either. I had them ca. 1999-2001, and their service and customer service were both awful.

For me, Jailbroken + unlocked + ATT = win.

BL.