Will you upgrade to Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supermac96, Jun 11, 2011.

?

Will you upgrade to Lion?

1. Of course, thats a no brainer!

183 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. I'm gonna wait and see if it's something I really want

47 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. No, i'm happy with what I have

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

So for people that currently own imacs or notebooks: will you pay the 30 buks to upgrade to Lion?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Of course! The under the hood changes are enough to make me want to switch.
    It's snappy.
    and who wants to get left on an OS that will get left out of new features.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Sure will. I will miss the scroll bars though, I don't see why they would remove them altogether without an option to enable them. That and the fact that Save/versions features will always open documents I've been working on that I closed intentionally can be annoying. The rest is all good though :)

5. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

+1 of Course.

6. lgfaver macrumors member

7. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Also I don't want to have to try to scroll on every page that there could be more down below if I haven't seen it before. I hope theres something so you can tell if theres more to a page.

8. suedehead macrumors member

can someone explain how to get the free update if you just ordered a MBP? how does it work? mac n00b here.

9. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

If I remember correctly, you have 30 days from the day you register your computer to claim your free download. So don't register it just yet!

10. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

You can reenable them, and if the mouse you have plugged in is pre magic mouse, they are automatically always shown.

11. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

The bars fade in when you start scrolling, so you can see.

12. suedehead macrumors member

where does one register? is it when you register your mbp during the very first startup? or?

what do you mean with 'just don't register it yet'? what do i wait for? the MBP was ordered on the 8th, so why wait when i get it?

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've got the Developers Preview. Several programs I need to use don't work in Lion and haven't been upgraded yet, but upgrade are promised. When they are all upgraded, I'll get a copy and switch. I also have a Snow Leopard Server that I need to check out with Lion.

Bottom line is I've got a bunch of Macs in the household and they will all be upgraded at the same time once I'm sure there won't be any problems.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

most likely not. while $30 is a great deal, i personally love snow leopard as is and have no reason to upgrade. this way i get to save $30 and i don't have to be bound to some apple id with my operating system.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't seen anything really worthwhile so I'll hold off until the apps that I use start to require it. By that point it should be at about 10.7.3 or so with most of the major bugs sorted out.

17. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

interesting point, that's something i did not think about. do you think i will run in to update problems for applications that have their own update/check for updates feature if i do not upgrade? things like photoshop, iStat, etc

18. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Scroll bars

If the scroll bars are removed, how will we mouse and keyboard folks scroll?

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

definitely. after watching the keynote i am pretty excited about using it. i will probably wait a few days before purchasing it, though, just to make sure all of my main apps continue working with it (adobe and office). i don't anticipate any problems.

20. pourmood macrumors newbie

What about for those that purchased their MBP approximately 45 days ago? No free upgrades? :(

21. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

There's really no reason to upgrade: Its only $30, and you can go to a library, Starbucks, etc. if you need the Internet (like myself) to download.

22. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I would think that you could use either the scroll wheel thing on your mouse, or the up and down arrow keys. But I'm sure they'll put in an option to turn the scroll bars on in System Preferences.

23. Fugue macrumors 6502

I'll wait for some reviews before I install it. I want all the kinks to be ironed out first.

But from the previews, I am not very exited. I just want some TRIM support so I can finally purchase a third party SSD without any hacks or rely on sandforce.

24. stroked Suspended

stroked

TRIM will not work on third party SSDs

25. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I'll definitely upgrade but not for first few months. I wanna make sure that my core programs can run smoothly.

Looking forward to reviews from all you early adapters :D