Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade to the iPad Pro 2?

• Yes

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Maybe it depends on the features

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • No I'm happy with my current iPad

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
So if the rumours about the iPad Pro are true, will you be upgrading? Or maybe buying an iPad Pro for the first time? If so are you likely to get the 12.9" the 9.7" or the rumoured new 10.9" iPad Pro?

So far rumours about the iPad Pro have pointed towards a Bezel less frame And faster processor (A10X chip) as upgrades to the iPad Pro 2, we will probably also see the true tone display in the 12.9" version. Do you also think Apple will announce them at a March event or hold off until September and announce them alongside new iPhones.

Edit: there is also a rumour that Apple Pencil 2 will also be announced, what do you think about that and what features would you like to see?

Last edited:

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I've got the 12.9 and won't be upgrading.

Every year be it phone pad or Mac all these radical changes are roumoured but never happen. Apple never deviates that much from the recipie.

I just got the iPhone 7 and apart from software it hasn't deviated from the first iPhone that much. That's fine by me. Leave the gimmicks to Samsung. This coming from an ex S7 user.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I've got the 12.9 and won't be upgrading.

Every year be it phone pad or Mac all these radical changes are roumoured but never happen. Apple never deviates that much from the recipie.

I just got the iPhone 7 and apart from software it hasn't deviated from the first iPhone that much. That's fine by me. Leave the gimmicks to Samsung. This coming from an ex S7 user.

True, I find it difficult to see what Apple can add to the iPad Pro 2, the iPad Pro is a great tablet. There is a rumour that Apple have been looking at adding more features possibly for iOS 11, that include being able to use the Apple Pencil to annotate within safari, mail and messages. It's a very interesting thought.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just bought a 9.7 and I think I will return it to wait for the 2 for the following reason. Lightroom currently takes 4-6 seconds to ready a Fuji Raw for editing and another couple of seconds to load in the full res. When dealing with 50+ shots cutting that time by a third or so would be nice; that will happen if apple upgrades the CPU and GPU.

Since the 2 is only a month away I think I'll wait.

I'll prob go with the 10 because the 9.7 is supposed to be kept around at a lower price which going by iPhones means no change in specs. The 10 is supposed to get a higher res screen as well. No reason to buy the new 9.7 since a current refurb is the same price.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I guess for new users a home button like the iPhone 7 would be great and the haptic feedback is great. Nice features but with a keyboard and 29w charger added it would be wasteful to upgrade after a year.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Since the 2 is only a month away I think I'll wait.

There is only a rumour that they will announce and release the iPad Pro 2 in March, but there has also been a report that says the new iPads have been delayed until later this year, due to low issues with the new processors.
[doublepost=1486488062][/doublepost]
I guess for new users a home button like the iPhone 7 would be great and the haptic feedback is great. Nice features but with a keyboard and 29w charger added it would be wasteful to upgrade after a year.

If the rumours are true there won't be a home button, it's rumoured to be embedded in the screen along with the fingerprint sensor. The same rumour is being said about th iPhone 8, so it could be that they got the devices mixed up maybe :confused: I guess we will see this year.

Reactions: burgman

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
If the rumours are true there won't be a home button, it's rumoured to be embedded in the screen along with the fingerprint sensor. The same rumour is being said about th iPhone 8, so it could be that they got the devices mixed up maybe :confused: I guess we will see this year.

Doesn't Apple always release common (ipad & iphone) features on the iphone first? I mean, this would change if the make the 8 pencil capable, but so far, wouldn't it come out on the phone first?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
There has recently been a topic on this very subject. I recommend to look it up for additional answers and opinions.

Reactions: RudySnow

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Doesn't Apple always release common (ipad & iphone) features on the iphone first? I mean, this would change if the make the 8 pencil capable, but so far, wouldn't it come out on the phone first?

They do yes, so it's possible that they will announce the iPhone 8 in September and the iPad Pro 2 at the same event or maybe in October.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There has recently been a topic on this very subject. I recommend to look it up for additional answers and opinions.

Yes, there are quite a few threads already on this and this new thread doesn't add anything new.

Nothing new on the rumors front either in the last 2-3 weeks. We already know that many V1 Pro owners will stick with their devices.

And with really nothing to be expected on the iOS front either, aside from the 10.5" annoucement, the press event will be pretty low-key (from an excitement perspective).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
True, I find it difficult to see what Apple can add to the iPad Pro 2, the iPad Pro is a great tablet. There is a rumour that Apple have been looking at adding more features possibly for iOS 11, that include being able to use the Apple Pencil to annotate within safari, mail and messages. It's a very interesting thought.

I'm holding off until March. If I don't appreciate what they have to offer then, then the 9.7 Pro will be my next purchase. I have a feeling some bigger changes are coming. My Air 2 is still as powerful as it was on day one.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
My Air 2 is still as powerful as it was on day one.

That's a great point. I think the reason the iPad has been declining isn't because people don't like the iPad, I think people love the iPad (I know I do) it's the best tablet by far (in my opinion), I think it's that people are not buying them as often simply because the one they have is great and lasts them a few years. As for the iPad Pro 2, I think if Apple are removing the bezels and adding the finger print reader into the display, we will see them along side the iPhone 8 in September, they won't want the iPad to upstage the iPhone.

Reactions: 44267547

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I have the 9.7 and I will not be upgrading. I've never found it limited by spec and it's just a fantastic device, and the perfect size. 10.5 is too big, 10.9 is certainly too big. I think the stuff they'll improve is camera and Taptic home button and I use my phone for pictures and I could give a damn about the home button or lackthereof.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's a great point. I think the reason the iPad has been declining isn't because people don't like the iPad, I think people love the iPad (I know I do) it's the best tablet by far (in my opinion), I think it's that people are not buying them as often simply because the one they have is great and lasts them a few years. As for the iPad Pro 2, I think if Apple are removing the bezels and adding the finger print reader into the display, we will see them along side the iPhone 8 in September, they won't want the iPad to upstage the iPhone.

I think you nailed it. Others find their current iPads are just as powerful and meets there needs without considering the need to upgrade. Should be an interesting year in terms of the iPad and iPhone. A lot of speculation and not to many rumors at the moment.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Yep, the newer models don't add anything I need or want to improve upon my 128GB LTE Air 2.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's hard to say. Everyone wants some iOS love for the iPad which feels neglected in the past few releases. If Apple adds must have features that are only available on the Pro 2, and iOS 11 substantially slows down the Airs, upgrading might sound compelling then. Right now it doesn't.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
I will if they do the following things:

- make a customised iOS for iPads - they have done some customization, but its still not enough.
- make it ultra-thin
- lose the bezel
- introduce OLED (I want to shift all my devices to OLED)
- lose the camera bump

(somethings I know which aren't going to happen, but still wish for):

- give us a kickstand like the Surface Pro (those cloth covers just don't cut it)
- change out Lightning in favor of USB C

-----------------------------------------------
I think the iPad is a great addition, definitely pairs up well with my MBP and iPhone.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I bought the 12.9" iPP because of a ridiculously fantastic deal a few weeks back! Ill admit its great for videos, but I really dont like the number of apps unoptimized for the screen's resolution, nor the native resolution of the home screen and apple's own apps like the settings. Safari is perfect, the app stores are good. In terms of my liking, the software is the only thing holding it back, not hardware. So unless iOS11 brings some interesting changes specific to the pro, I doubt Ill be purchasing another iPad Pro. The only one I would consider buying would be an updated mini, but seeing as that is unlikely, I shall put that money towards a vacation to Aruba :D

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I will absolutely be upgrading to the new ~10.5" model.

I found the 12.9" to be too large to wield comfortably, and I don't find the 9.7"'s screen to be large enough to be very productive, especially in split-screen. Really excited for a device in the middle (with hopefully no bezels)!

Reactions: burgman

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Just utilized the excellent target deal for $150 off a 9.7 as I had been waivering for a while before this pushed me over the edge.

It would really take a lot for me to upgrade and I still have 30 days to test this one and we shall see if we get an announcement before that to help decide.
Either way, I should have no problem selling mine if need be to get back what I paid if not a big chunk of it.

Extremely happy for the price I paid.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.