iPad Will you upgrade your iPad 3rd generation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jony Ive, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. Jony Ive, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

    Jony Ive macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    #1
    Are you getting the 4th generation one?



    I am wondering if the upgrade is worth it.
    I have seen videos comparing the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 and I can't tell the difference.
    Yes, the A6 makes the OS smoother, but it's worth it selling the iPad 3 and adding +-100 dollars for the new one?




    PD: Sorry for my english, I'm spanish
    How can I make a poll?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    It's 3rd and there's already a thread on this buddy.
     
  3. Rodster macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    #3
    A big no for me. I'll wait a few more cycles to see if they offer anything really compelling.
     
  4. Jony Ive thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    #5
    Could you post the thread's link?
     
  5. Toonbay macrumors 6502

    Toonbay

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Location:
    Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    #6
    Yes upgrading, sold the ipad 3 and getting a 16gb white mini :D:D
     
  6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    That's a completely subjective question. What do you use it for? Is the 3 meeting or not meeting your needs? What, if anything, would the 4 bring to the table for you? How much of a loss would you take selling your old one? How much disposable income do you have?

    I've got a 64gb LTE, so the beating in resale value I'd take is considerable. I use mine for relatively lightweight stuff, browsing, emails, hauling e-books and pdf's instead of paper files out of my office.

    The only real reason for me to upgrade is the new processor, and it's unsure how much of a difference it will actually make until it's released. Yeah, the new one is twice as fast on paper, but it remains to see how much of a real world difference it will make. Same goes for the improved wifi.
     
  7. ninermac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2011
    #8
    I most likely will do the same, except will go for 32GB... Just gonna wait till I can eyeball a Mini in the tore first to make sure it's he way I want to go. If not, I'll keep what I have until round 5.
     
  8. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #9
    Im heavily considering upgrading my wifes iPad3 to 4 but its ONLY because of the lightning connector.

    We just upgraded to iPhone 5's and I dumped my iPad in favor of a Mini. That means we'll have 3 Lightning devices and the iPad 3 is the only 30pin. I have a standing buyback order with Amazon for $575 so I'm trying to figure out if the convenience of a single charging plug is actually worth $125 to me. (So far it's tough to say yes)
     
  9. Want300 macrumors 65816

    Want300

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #10
    If I had an iPad 3, I highly doubt I would upgrade, I wasn't even willing to upgrade from my iPad 2 to the iPad 3...

    But, with my iPhone 5, and having an iPad 2... I am more willing to upgrade to the iPad 4 because it is a bigger jump now and I would prefer to eliminate the need for 30-Pin chargers. Since I dock my work phone on my Zeppelin Air at night, I do not need a 30-Pin cord for charging it.

    I wonder if we will see the iPad 5th generation in March... Thats my only hold up. I may just continue to stick with my iPad 2... I am okay buying a new one when an even newer comes a year later, but I don't think I want to buy the 4th if the 5th is coming out in March, I will wait and see how the rumors play out before making my decision.
     
  10. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2012
    Location:
    england
    #12
    I have an ipad 3, it basically slows down/sometimes crashes when using ps touch or any image editors/tools( I use PS touch to create art assets when not at a computer).

    I would like a faster pad, but tbh, I do a lot of work on my computer, so I don't really have a need to actually get a faster ipad. The money I save is contributing to my new computer that will be in my hands soon.

    Perhaps if the iPad 4 has 2gb of ram, I would consider upgrading but at the moment, eh, its not massively tempting.
     
  11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #13
    2 gb of ram? They'll save that for the next release. And the funny thing is, you sound like the true 'power user' that the reviewers say possibly should consider upgrading to the 4 from the 3. Most of them are suggesting for the 3 owners to sit this out.
     
  12. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #14
    The question of what will happen in Spring2013 is the reason iPad3 owners feel so upset with an early upgrade. IF we knew the iPad5 release date then we'd be able to make intelligent buying decisions, but Apple works in secrecy so we're stuck with guessing and it really could go both ways.

    My theory is this:
    Oct2012:
    - iPad4 replaces iPad3 primarily to add lightning port

    Jun2013
    - iPad 4 replaces iPad2 as Apples "budget" $399 iPad
    - iPad 5 introduces new design (thinner bezels, bonded screen, lighter etc) as flagship model

    The reason why this makes sense (to me) is that IF Apple kept the iPad3 as the eventual "budget" system then it would keep 30pin for another generation. So by intoducing an iPad4 early then they covered their upgrade path and cashed in on holiday sales
     
  13. sovereign macrumors 6502

    sovereign

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2009
    #15
    For $100? Definitely. How are you able to do a swap for @ $100?:confused:

    It would cost over $250 to flip mine.
     
  14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

    turbineseaplane

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    #16
    Agreed with this.
    Really, unless you're into games on the iPad, I don't see the upgrade value of going from the 3 to the 4, especially since the form factor is identical...

    ...which means, iPad 4 buyers, watch out for getting lapped before you know it with an all new iPad 5 that better reflects the new aesthetics of the iPhone & iPad mini.

    ----------

    Spot on.
    Buying iPad 4 is going to get you outdated just as fast as iPad 3 got lapped.

    I have a 3 and am DEFINITELY just going to wait and enjoy. Works like a dream.
     
  15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #17
    Mine would cost $320, not to include sales tax. I suppose it is possible, if you got a base wifi model, and got lucky on craigslist.
     
  16. thadoggfather Suspended

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #18
    I'm holding onto my iPad 3 jailbroken also.

    I think 4 owners will be in for a world of hurt in 2013 with an inevitable redesign and maybe killer internal updates

    Three gens of an iOS device with same design? Thats a new one afaik
     
  17. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    #19
    Bingo. A new design will happen soon. It's inevitable. That is another reason us ipad 3 owners should just wait for the 5.
     
  18. Arcade macrumors regular

    Arcade

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2012
    Location:
    Bronx, NY
  19. Want300 macrumors 65816

    Want300

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #21
    That is good logic... I think the main uncertainty is the when... Whether it is March or later... Revealing it at the 2013 WWDC in June makes sense.

    But...

    by launching in March, you get the rush of all the people who want the update/their first iPad... Then you get the Back-to-School rush separate, which could be why the WWDC seems to focus on the Mac lineup and iOS now. So, either one could work still.
     
  20. Xanderstone12 macrumors member

    Xanderstone12

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #22

    The pixels will make you regret it.
     
  21. Bokes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #23
    Looking at the benchmark results for the v4 vs v3 have me a bit bummed.
    For the heck of it I put my v3 up for sale on Craigslist and I'm not getting bites.
    I'm not sure I believe some folks here claiming they are getting the prices they are for their used iPads. The offers are low balls.

    If i get a decent offer and the upgrade cost is about $150- I would do it.
    Otherwise just wait for the thinner lighter version v5.
     
  22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

    MrXiro

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #24
    I'm not exactly upgrading. I am selling my iMac and iPad 3 for a Mac mini and iPad Mini. Save a couple of bucks but not lose on performance.
     
  23. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

    rever3nce

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2011

Share This Page