Will you wait for the 5.5" model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jul 17, 2014.


Are you willing to wait longer than September for the larger 5.5" iPhone?

  1. Yes

    49 vote(s)
  2. No

    46 vote(s)
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

    Jul 10, 2008
    For those of you who are contemplating getting the 5.5" model (or "iPhone Air"), do you want it badly enough that you are willing to wait a few extra months for it? Or will you settle for the 4.7" model?

    This is assuming the 5.5" model is released 1-6 months after the 4.7" model is released this September.
  2. Dave245 macrumors 603


    Sep 15, 2013
    I think Apple will announce both the 4.7" and the 5.5" at the same September event, however they may say that the 5.5" will be available to be buy a month or two later. With only the 4.7" being available straight away.

    Anyway personally I would wait for the 5.5" so I can see both the 4.7" and the 5.5" together. Mainly to see how different they will be from each other. Will only one of them have the saphire screen, will only one of then have a 128GB and so on.
  3. robo456 macrumors 6502


    Mar 3, 2008
    New Jersey
    I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority...

    I currently have a Droid Razr Maxx (a few years old now), and I'm tossing around the idea of switching to an iPhone. I just can't get into the "phablet" concept... I don't do any video watching or anything... I use my phone as a phone... sometimes email, but mainly a calendar that syncs with my wife. I like having a smaller phone I can fit easily into my pocket.

  4. cynics macrumors G4

    Jan 8, 2012

    I wouldn't say you are the minority due to a lot of poll on this forum.

    I feel a 4.7" model would be perfect for me. I like the idea of a 5.5" when in use but not in my pocket or on a belt clip where it spends the majority of it's time.
  5. jbachandouris macrumors 601


    Aug 18, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Conceptually, I like the idea of a 5.5 as my aging eyes would appreciate the extra screen real estate, but I am more inclined to go with the 4.7 just for portability's sake.

    However, if that is all that is available when I intend to purchase, that may affect my decision.
  6. sunking101 macrumors 604


    Sep 19, 2013
    I'll wait for the 5.5"...but not too long. It it's out this year great, if not I'll get the Note 4.
  7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030


    Jul 12, 2011
    Location: and
    Would wait, but if it is gonna take them a year or so NOPE!
  8. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    What is out on the market that is comparable to the 5.5" size?
  9. arefbe macrumors 6502


    Sep 11, 2010
  10. Alphabetize macrumors 6502


    Oct 6, 2013
    I'm extremely excited about the possibility of a 5.5-inch iPhone. If Apple announces it, but says that it will be released several weeks or even a few months, I will wait. Otherwise, I'll get the new one when it is released.
  11. Orlandu macrumors 6502


    Oct 5, 2010
    Most likely there won't even be a 5.5" model. How many rumors and leaked parts showed the iPhone 5S was to be a 4.7" or larger screen? If they are planning to make a larger phone, I predict it will be a 4.7" released in conjunction with a 4". People aren't leaving in mass droves from iOS/iPhone to Android just because of a larger screen. Apple has no reason to make its flagship phone a much larger screen when sales say most people are content with the current size.
  12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    5.5 is just plain too big. The only people I see using a phone/phablet that big are . . . . well I can not say but it has to do with the fake nails being so long they can use a standard size keyboard!:eek:

    4.7 will be perfect!;)
  13. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

    Jun 8, 2010
    Philadelphia, Pa, USA
    I'm mildly concerned that the 4.7 won't fit in my pants or shirt pockets. I don't want to wear cargo pants everyday just to carry my phone.
  14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    More waiting… ugh… just release them all and offer choices. I may have to wait.
  15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

    The Doctor11

    Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    Nope. I want nothing to do with an iPad phone :D
  16. g35 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 13, 2007
    Probably not. If it's 749 off contract, and the 4.7" is 649, I'll also get more money by selling my iPhone 5 right before the 4.7"s release. The difference in that case would likely work out to around 150-200, and I don't think the 5.5" version is worth that much extra to me.

    My main reason for getting the 5.5" would be to make videos, books, and PDFs easier to view. For $200, I'm approaching the cost of an iPad mini I could use for those things instead
  17. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I don't know at this stage. I do like the larger form factor but with apple pushing the limits on being so thin, I'm not sure how strong it will be.

    I may choose not to be on the bleeding edge and wait to see how it works out for people in the weeks and/or months after its launch.
  18. Appl3FTW macrumors 603


    Nov 15, 2012
    if they are released separately then that means im gonna have to buy two..
  19. Kaylor macrumors regular


    Oct 18, 2011
    Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
    Honestly not sure at this point. I'm not in dire need of a phone right now but I'm due for an upgrade soon. As it stands currently I don't think the 5.5" model fits my needs or wants, but once I see it in person that could very well change (that is, if it even gets released this year).
  20. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

    Jun 15, 2013
    Right here
    Definitely getting both and will just swap my sim. 4.7 will be for away and the 5.5 will be for home.
  21. Señor macrumors 6502


    Jun 20, 2013
    United States
  22. sunking101 macrumors 604


    Sep 19, 2013
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (the Note 4 is due to be released Sept/Oct) and the HTC One M8 Max.
    The new Note 4 will be awesome.
  23. BeeGood macrumors 68000


    Sep 15, 2013
    Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
    Do not want.

    The LG G3 is about as small as you can make a phone with a 5.5 inch display. I can't operate that one handed comfortably all the time and the 5.5 inch iphone will definitely be bigger.
  24. Xeyad macrumors 6502

    Nov 19, 2012
    For all I care that this September I'll get the iPhone with largest capacity and largest screen size! :D
  25. Enabledobject, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

    Enabledobject macrumors 6502


    Apr 27, 2014
    I'm hoping they split the difference and just release a 5" phone. It would be the best compromise. If they go 4.7 - 5.5 I'll go with 5.5, but not if it's a year later. Not sure what I'll do if they delay the larger model. 4.7 is still too small.

Share This Page