Window Management

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Metalmorphed, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Metalmorphed macrumors member

Hi,

I am looking for information about window management in Mac.
    I was to write an app to make windows stick together. But since this is the first time programming for mac, I don't really know where to look. (I do have a background of programming in C++ for Windows (studying game development, first year completed))

The things I need to know are: the number of windows, their position, their dimensions and how to change their position.

Anyone knows good documentation about this ?

Thanks !
    -Pablo

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Log in to the Mac Developer Centre (if you don't have an account then create a free one: you'll need one anyway) and look at the Accessibility APIs. The only other access is via undocumented private API calls and I'd stay away from that if you can.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What do you mean by "an app to make windows stick together"? If they are your application's windows, it's easy. If they are windows of other applications, you have no right to mess with them.

4. Metalmorphed thread starter macrumors member

Just the window of any application. (Like finder windows, iTunes, FireFox, ...)

5. misee macrumors member

You probably want to look at Apple Script. But like gnasher729 said, don't mess with other peoples windows :)

6. Metalmorphed thread starter macrumors member

It's not messing, it's just enhancing the window-moving experience :p
    And I'll take a look at that !