Window sizes etc - The answer.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Washac, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

I posted recently regarding setting window sizes and icons etc only to have them revert back to small windows and jumbled icons.

I have solved the problem but have no idea why this is happening.

Also this does not affect all folders in my Home folder.

So I will use the first folder in my home folder to demonstrate this issue as the issue does affect this.

Home > Applications

This contains the Steam games.

Open this folder, all icons small and jumbled out of any order.

Set icon size and arrange by Name.

Close Applications folder, close Home folder.

Now I download a file to the Desktop rather than a specific folder.

Now open Home folder, then open the Applications folder, all icons have now reverted back to small and jumbled.

Question :- Why is downloading to the desktop causing this issue ?

2. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Far out. Butterfly effect! Nice sleuthing to work out the cause though - you gonna download to a different folder now?

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

OS X has always been ridiculously crap at remembering folder settings, and so has Windows actually (not sure which is worse), but Lion is definitely much worse than SL was!

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Have you tried Command + J?

With Snow Leopard, when I do the "Arrange By" using the right click menu, it never sticks. But when I do Command + J, the setting sticks. And make sure to click "Use as Default" on the bottom to save setting for all folders.

With Lion I haven't had this problem, using right click menu seems to stick so far.

5. Washac, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

Seems this problem always happens no matter where I download to :(

Now trying the right click menu to see if that helps, its driving me bonkers.........

7. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Windows 7 is amazing at this. If you open Computer, set all the view properties, including window size and position, something that OS X has struggled with forever, and close it, every new window will then take on what it can from those settings, including always taking on the window size. The only issue 7 has is that it decides folders are of different types based on their content - BUT you can get around that easily enough, and the -apply settings for all folders of this type- option actually works :eek:. Global window size adjustment would be a massive boon for OS X, especially as the default size is so tiny!