window user going Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N-Y, Sep 23, 2009.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

ok so, ive been using the same PC for the last 10 years.... currently on windows XP.... been waiting for a while to make the switch, new apple OS is out, new macbook pro look is out.... but the current hardware version has been out since june...

so im looking to get a macbook pro 17inch matte, would love to get SSD drive but for the price and storage, i plan to get the 7200rpm HDD 500GB HDD instead.

so long story short, what is the current processor is apple using on the macbook pro, and which ones should we expect at the next update? and is there a big difference between each processor.

if your wondering what i plan to do with my computer, i dont do graphic design, i plan to use it for mostly for web browsing, chatting, watching high quality videos, storing my pictures, just the basic stuff.

and my last question, if i decide to opt out for the 15inch, would i be able to have full resolution like the 17inch if i were to plug it into a Apple LED cinema display?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

MacBook Pro 17" uses the P9600 or the T9600 (2.8GHz, 6MB L2 cache and 1066MHz FSB). Also, the difference is noticeable only to those people who encode or decode media a lot (movies). Day to day things, no, there is not much of a difference. Next update is more likely to be a CPU upgrade than anything else.

As for screen, the 15" has a 1440x900 resolution vs the 17" 1920x1200 screen resolution. Yes, the 15" can handle the 24" monitor without problems at the highest resolution of the 24" LED display. The MacBook Pro distinguishes its own display and the 24"'s display.

3. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

MacBook Pro 17" uses the P9600 or the T9600 (2.8GHz, 6MB L2 cache and 1066MHz FSB). what about the 15inch what does that use?

so the next update is most likely the cpu... mmmm k, what is the current cpu and what is the next one we should expect? and is there a big difference? should a non user that doesnt do graphic design or anything like that worry about the next update?... i dont mind waiting for the next update, but if its nothing serious or major, than ill pull the trigger now

so the 15 inch can display 1920x1200 on a 24" cinema display

4. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

anybody? i need help with my previous post, i need as much info so i can make my decision, looking to buy and switch tonight

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

FWIW. You really don't need all the computing power the 17'' has to offer for the basic stuff, and it is quite hefty to carry around. If it is to become a desktop replacement, I'd spring for an iMac instead.

If you want a desktop replacement you can still carry around once in a while, 17'' is for you. The best of both worlds would be the 15'' and the 13'' is the most portable one.

All of these computers can easily power the apple LED display at max resolution while powering their own screen at native resolution without issue. I have my older MBP @ 1440x900 on it's own screen and my 21.5'' external is at 1920x1080 right now.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't think you have any need to wait for the next update... plus the fact that it could be next week OR 6 months from now. Its always a good feeling to buy right after an update, but unless you're really prepared to wait several months, go ahead and get it.

Take finances into account as well. If you're going into debt to buy it now, but in three months could save enough to buy it outright, that may be a better decision for you. But that's all up to you.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I did tons of research on the web before purchasing mine-3 month's worth.... anyway, I found Google very helpful. Also the MacRumors buyer's guide and forums, not to mention Wikipedia and my relative who owns a Mac. Looks like you just need the HD space, not the processor or GPU power. This page will solve all your problems;).

Congrats on your switch to Macs. Enjoy!:cool:

8. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

so i pulled the trigger....

got the 15-inch: 2.66GHz with 500GB 7200RPM matte screen.
    mighty mouse
    AirPort Extreme Base Station
    and a case

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Nice choice. I don't know about the mighty mouse though. :rolleyes:

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

11. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

12. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

For 60$ (or whatever) they don't have very long usabilty life.
    my friends gone thru 4 in 2 months

however if I had the money I would use it
    just cause ;-)

13. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Nothing. You have Applecare for a year, so who cares, they'll fix it if it breaks. I got one with my imac and love it.

14. kasakka macrumors 68000

Form over function design. The squeeze button is awkward, the single plastic button cover means that to right click you have to lift your finger from the left button first before it's possible to click the other. The scroll dot is a good idea but tends to get clogged with dirt and there's not that much use for horizontal scrolling anyway.

Not to mention other mice offer more buttons.

You can also get better (more features, better wireless range, better throughput with fast connections) WLAN routers than the Airport Extreme for much less.

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I use the Logitech VX Nano laser mouse - a great looking and feeling wireless mouse, with an itty-bitty transceiver.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "if your wondering what i plan to do with my computer, i dont do graphic design, i plan to use it for mostly for web browsing, chatting, watching high quality videos, storing my pictures, just the basic stuff"

Just my opinion, but....

... a 17" mbp is an expensive machine to buy for just "the basic stuff". Particularly regarding watching videos, you might begin to find the 17" screen limiting.

Are you hell-bent on a portable? If so, you might consider a tricked-out 13" MPB for moving around, and couple it to a high-quality external monitor at home to increase your screen viewing area. Good candidates right now are the Dell 2209wa (22") or the brand-new Dell u2410 (24"). $200+ for the first, and the latter will be showing up for under $500 if you keep your eyes open.

If you don't "need portability", why not look at the 24" iMacs? Keep in mind that Apple will probably introduce a re-designed iMac towards the end of the year. But the current ones are very nice, as well.

- John

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Just MRoogle "Mighty Mouse" and you'll find numerous threads about it.