Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Idle hands and all :p activity dropped off some so baked up the primary notebook's drives and updated to 1903. Seamless so far. Seemed like a much larger download versus 1803 & 1809 etc. equally once DL'd took all of 10 minutes to install. Everything as promised by Microsoft and no degradation in performance.

I did look at the details on the 1903 known issues page, however nothing notable for this hardware (ROG GL703GS) All the same ran DISM post update all good 100% no errors

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Still picking through the differences versus 1809, liking the small productivity improvements to the browser and general UI tweaks. Most of the work on the update is clearly under the hood of which I'm fine will. 1809 has been 100% stable, 1903 holds up the same I'll be more than happy.

Q-6
1903 has been the most stable build of windows 10 i have had so far. I don't think I have had any crashes. The only application crash I had was Chrome Edge the other day for the first time since the started seeding it which is a good sign IMO It's probably the first update I can say I couldnt go back now because I would miss the new stuff. I love light theme. I tried dark theme for a while, couldn't get used to it. Was content with normal theme, but love Light theme. I don'

Reactions: Donfor39

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't know if its related to 1903 or some other issue, but it seems kind of coincidental that 1903 is fairly fresh on my laptop and all of a sudden on boot up, I need to enter my bitlocker recovery key. I chalked the the first time as just one of those things but this morning it happened again.

I had done some googling and I've not really seen too many hits, so it does seem rare. I don't have any sophos products but this link was a bit helpful
These are the common reasons for BitLocker requesting a recovery key at startup are:
  • User forgets the TPM PIN (when PIN + PIN authentication is enabled).
  • Moving the BitLocker-protected drive into a new computer.
  • Turning off, disabling, or clearing the TPM.
  • Updating the BIOS.
  • Updating critical early boot components that cause system integrity validation to fail (TPM).
  • Updating option ROM.
  • Installing a new motherboard with a new TPM.
Other potential root causes are described in the following MS TechNet Article: Bitlocker Tip of the Day

And Bitlocker Tip of the day

I've turned off bitlocker for now reset my hello windows and entered a new pin, I'll see if that helps down the road, but for now, I'll go w/o bitlocker for the time being

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thanks everyone, very informative. My Razer is not on 1903 yet, store rep said I should see notification in a few days.

I am in no hurry except that I cannot wait to silence Cortana. I do not need my machine talking back at me. :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Thanks everyone, very informative. My Razer is not on 1903 yet, store rep said I should see notification in a few days.

I am in no hurry except that I cannot wait to silence Cortana. I do not need my machine talking back at me. :p
There's a number of minor changes that really improve the user experience. I'm liking this update quite a bit

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I don't know if its related to 1903 or some other issue, but it seems kind of coincidental that 1903 is fairly fresh on my laptop and all of a sudden on boot up, I need to enter my bitlocker recovery key. I chalked the the first time as just one of those things but this morning it happened again.

I had done some googling and I've not really seen too many hits, so it does seem rare. I don't have any sophos products but this link was a bit helpful

I've turned off bitlocker for now reset my hello windows and entered a new pin, I'll see if that helps down the road, but for now, I'll go w/o bitlocker for the time being
Haven't seen or heard of this issue, let me know if it gets fixed!

I sent you a PM not long ago did you get it?
[doublepost=1560370660][/doublepost]
There's a number of minor changes that really improve the user experience. I'm liking this update quite a bit
Yeah this has been my favorite over all. It feels like a Snow Leopard update lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I sent you a PM not long ago did you get it?
Yeah, sorry I did but failed to respond, but I just did now :)

Yeah this has been my favorite over all. It feels like a Snow Leopard update lol
Yeah it seems MS is hitting their stride.

As for the bitlocker stuff, I'll hold off on enabling that for a period of time, and then I'll probably get my ducks in a row, such as saving a copy of the key to my phone so it will be easier to retrieve.

Reactions: derekamoss

Queen6

macrumors G4

Yeah there's some nice touches that just work. Still holding back on my 2in1 I'm just watching the progress of the 1903 known issues list as it utilises mostly Intel & Realtek drivers. Although tempted I'm inclined to let it roll until 1903 is offered automatically once all the drivers are updated.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm just watching the progress of the 1903 known issues list as it utilises mostly Intel & Realtek drivers.
I did a quick perusal of that list and I don't see much that could impact my laptop, and as I said with one exception its been a solid update. That one exception may or may not be related. I've never seen the need to enter the recovery key into a machine before - at least one that hadn't been worked on. When I have some time to play with the laptop and I'm not working, I'll see about re-enabling bitlocker.

Queen6

macrumors G4
So far so good with my primary GL703GS, equally far less reliance on Realtek and Intel. I can always image the Switch 5, problem being if something raises it's head at an inopportune time, it may become an issue with both system on the latest update as I'm currently in the field.

Realistically new drivers will be issued soon enough and as much as 1903 is a nice update it's not an imperative or bringing significant new features.

Q-6

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Yeah, sorry I did but failed to respond, but I just did now :)

Yeah it seems MS is hitting their stride.

As for the bitlocker stuff, I'll hold off on enabling that for a period of time, and then I'll probably get my ducks in a row, such as saving a copy of the key to my phone so it will be easier to retrieve.
Yeah I have never had the bitlocker thing come up unless I was doing recovery

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009

I wonder if this was the cause:

How to suspend BitLocker encryption to perform system changes on Windows 10

Although BitLocker Drive Encryption is a useful feature (especially for mobile devices, such as laptops and tablets), it has a drawback. If you enable encryption on a system drive, performing a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) or Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) updates, changing hardware, or upgrading to a new version of Windows 10, you may run into issues, such as having to enter a recovery key during startup, because BitLocker will think that the device is being tampered with.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I love that I have to type winver in the search line to find that 1903 installed successfully.
System Info happily gives me 10.01862 build 18362, but neery a 1903.
Microsoft is just so intentionally perverse in the way it doles out information.

OS seems to be running just fine. No files missing, all Apps remain, not a single horror story.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Upgrade to Pro, then you can delay feature updates for up to a year, and quality updates for up to a month.

I see that 1809 was so bad, that now Microsoft will upgrade you from 1803 straight to 1903.

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I love that I have to type winver in the search line to find that 1903 installed successfully.
System Info happily gives me 10.01862 build 18362, but neery a 1903.
Microsoft is just so intentionally perverse in the way it doles out information.

OS seems to be running just fine. No files missing, all Apps remain, not a single horror story.
in settings - system - about it will show the build info

Reactions: Partron22

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
How so? You like many others know to type winver to get the version and build. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at
upload_2019-7-4_6-33-42.png

Reactions: Queen6

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Microsoft is still pushing 1809.

Maybe they are blocking it for certain configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.