Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurentR2D2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Paris - France
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro with El Capitan installed thanks to Pike's boot.efi. It has 15 Gb RAM and an
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 Mb. El Capitan is installed on a 120 Gb SSD. I have an empty 100 Gb partition on another drive. Can I use Bootcamp to install Windows 10 on this partition without having a problem with the Pike's boot.efi ? If it is possible, which version of Windows 10 should I use ? The 32 or the 64 bits version ?

Thank you

darevk

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
+1
I've been trying this since yesterday. I don't know how many hours I've spent. I even created new recovery HD and disabled SIP so I can install rEFIt. I can't boot from usb and if I boot from dvd I'm stuck at: Select CD-Rom Boot Type

P.S. I created BOOTCAMP partition with bootcamp.. and it's waiting for windows but I really don't have idea what to do next. I'm feeling like i tried almost everything..
I'm going crazy with this, so some informations and help would be perfect haha.
Thanks!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
+1
I've been trying this since yesterday. I don't know how many hours I've spent. I even created new recovery HD and disabled SIP so I can install rEFIt. I can't boot from usb and if I boot from dvd I'm stuck at: Select CD-Rom Boot Type

P.S. I created BOOTCAMP partition with bootcamp.. and it's waiting for windows but I really don't have idea what to do next. I'm feeling like i tried almost everything..
I'm going crazy with this, so some informations and help would be perfect haha.
Thanks!

While not guaranteed to work, you can read over the discussion linked below for possible solutions. Prior to that method, I was having the same problem as you.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...allation-no-bootloaders-or-efi-hacks.1905564/

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand

I tried this and many other and I cannot get any usb method to mount or display in the boot screen.
Recently i reinstalled my 7300GT to enable boot screen because i have a 280X R9 in the main 16x slot1 and the nvidia in slot 4. This enables bootscreen.
When i reboot I can select every available boot option including recovery disks but not usb efi boot option which is offered in this linked method.
I have reformatted the usb and tried other usb boot option offered in various forums here on macrumors but the same persists. I can install on the media and prepare the usb itself but nothing is available on boot.

I have tried modifying Bootcamp to enable install of boot options on usb and also on dvd.
My dvd drive on mac pro 1.1 is flaky and cannot write almost anything so usb is the only viable option at this point.
Modifying bootcamp only works on 10.11.6 or possibly later. It will not work under 10.10.5.
See these:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-windows-10-in-boot-camp-on-unsupported-macs/

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...mp-to-install-windows-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Anyone have ideas what am I missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.