Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Windows 10 install took ages! And after all that I can't even use it. When it was installing the Bootcamp drivers it got stuck at installing Realtek audio drivers, and now I can't do anything. No wireless adapter, and unable to open file manager. Need help if anyone had the same problem. This is just what I hate about Windows 10 on MacBooks, the hassle with drivers.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Windows 10 install took ages! And after all that I can't even use it. When it was installing the Bootcamp drivers it got stuck at installing Realtek audio drivers, and now I can't do anything. No wireless adapter, and unable to open file manager. Need help if anyone had the same problem. This is just what I hate about Windows 10 on MacBooks, the hassle with drivers.

Funny when I had a problem the window drives was the easiest part

Still you can run the install manually from the thumb drive and most you can select individually if one is being problematic but don't know why they should be

Reactions: lite426

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yep. I'll probably have too install it all over again from scratch...

When I did my Windows 10 install it hung at 68% for a very long time, the drivers were taking too long to download over my wi-fi. So I used a hard-wired ethernet connection and had no issues from that point forward.

Also, the install of the Boot Camp drivers has a specific sequence. After Windows 10 comes up, jump over to the Mac side, launch the Boot Camp Assistant, tic the box that just downloads the updates, put that on a thumb drive, jump back over to the Windows side, install the updates from the thumb drive, and then reboot the machine. All should be working from there forward.

BJ

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Thanks for the help everyone. I finally got Windows 10 installed on my MacBook. What scaling level are you all using?

What wallpapers do you use? I'd like a nice 2304x1440 one so it'll be native for the MacBook, but seems to be quite hard to find them.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thanks for the help everyone. I finally got Windows 10 installed on my MacBook. What scaling level are you all using?

What wallpapers do you use? I'd like a nice 2304x1440 one so it'll be native for the MacBook, but seems to be quite hard to find them.

The recommended one 2304x1440 :)

Wallpapers I just use some photos and use stretch or fill but you can DL using the more button to get some extra stock ones in themes

FYI in C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update you can run the util to check for updates if not already run after installing the drivers etc and itunes

You need to get icloud for PC separately from Apple support to synch all your files etc

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Congrats, sorry it was a bit cumbersome with the install but glad you got it working.

I am using 1920 x 1200 resolution so the type and icons are a bit larger and easier to see. Do a Google Images Search for "2304x1440 wallpaper" and that'll get you started with those.

BJ

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Thanks, now I have a big question. How can I access the OS X partition from Windows? I've split the partitions equally so I'd like to make use of the space my OS X partition and vice versa, without having to download common documents to both partitions. I noticed also that I can't copy files on to the Windows partition from OS X, although I can see the Windows partition.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thanks, now I have a big question. How can I access the OS X partition from Windows? I've split the partitions equally so I'd like to make use of the space my OS X partition and vice versa, without having to download common documents to both partitions. I noticed also that I can't copy files on to the Windows partition from OS X, although I can see the Windows partition.

Have a read of this for some good advice

http://www.howtogeek.com/189250/how-to-share-files-between-mac-os-x-and-windows-with-boot-camp/

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I was just wondering if anyone out there could share their experience with Windows 10 on the MacBook?

How is it running etc, giving the MacBook's limitations?

Macs are generally accepted to be the best Window computers you can get. The hardware is stable but the trackpad performance can be less than stellar. That is, if you use the trackpad under OS X then use the trackpad when running Microsoft then you'll see how crap the experience is. OS X's treatment of trackpads is leagues better than when running Microsoft. That being said, a Mac laptop running Microsoft compared to a Dell or IBM Thinkpad in the trackpad dept means the Mac wins again.

Obviously when running Microsoft on a Mac you need to run all the squirrely software to protect you from viruses, trojans, and various other malware protection. Not sure why users running Microsoft would put up with that waste of energy.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Obviously when running Microsoft on a Mac you need to run all the squirrely software to protect you from viruses, trojans, and various other malware protection. Not sure why users running Microsoft would put up with that waste of energy.

It takes a whole 5 minutes to install AVG or any number of free programs that ensure a virus-free experience, hardly a waste of energy.

Speaking first-hand, I've been using Windows machines of various shapes and sizes for 20+ years and haven't encountered a single problem. These old 90's myths you resuscitate as gospel died along with the OS wars a decade ago. Apple won the mobile space, Microsoft won the desktop, all is well.

BJ

Reactions: Queen6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It takes a whole 5 minutes to install AVG or any number of free programs that ensure a virus-free experience, hardly a waste of energy.

Speaking first-hand, I've been using Windows machines of various shapes and sizes for 20+ years and haven't encountered a single problem. These old 90's myths you resuscitate as gospel died along with the OS wars a decade ago. Apple won the mobile space, Microsoft won the desktop, all is well.

BJ

Yes AVG is certainly one of the best and least intrusive progs and the free version is fine for the casual bootcamp user

Of all the MBA's I have owned I never used the trackpad on them, I have always been a mouse man mainly due to using progs like excel as the trackpad just makes it harder work.

However as BT was not originally supported on our rMB I was forced to use the trackpad more and have like the experience. As the my world does not revolve around the myriad of multi gestures the standard support in Win 10 is fine for me but I guess if you want more then install trackpad+++

Queen6

macrumors G4

BJ

I use Bitdefender for any system that requires any form of protection from malicious code be it Windows or OS X. By far the best protection any system can have is the user by employing "common sense 2015" Anyone thinking that well written modern day AV will slow your system down is well and truly overdue a hardware upgrade...

Q-6

Last edited:

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
My first impressions of Windows on the MacBook are:
-Acceptable battery life, equal or not much less than OS X but I'll need more time to evaluate that.
-Good overall UI performance. Possibly better than OS X.
-Poor performance with lots of browser tabs. Worse than on OS X.
-Many strange little annoyances. I shut the lid to go do something else and minutes later and when I open it back up... nothing. Pressing a key does nothing. The whole thing had shut down. Had some difficulty finding the "just right" scaling level. YouTube clarity not as good. There's no way to set the trackpad to allow a light, silent click which is a new feature of the Force Touch trackpad. Another reason I'd prefer OS X. I have it set to tap to click though. Drag click is poor because of a delay.

A more in depth review of my experience to come, after I've had more time with it.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
-Acceptable battery life, equal or not much less than OS X but I'll need more time to evaluate that.
-Many strange little annoyances. I shut the lid to go do something else and minutes later and when I open it back up... nothing. Pressing a key does nothing. The whole thing had shut down. Had some difficulty finding the "just right" scaling level. YouTube clarity not as good. There's no way to set the trackpad to allow a light, silent click which is a new feature of the Force Touch trackpad. Another reason I'd prefer OS X. I have it set to tap to click though. Drag click is poor because of a delay.

A more in depth review of my experience to come, after I've had more time with it.

Your free to try many browsers personally I don't use edge I use IE but edge is suppose to be the best battery efficient especially streaming video

Lid closing - That's as hibernate is better than sleep so you have to wait 15 secs to re-start is the downside, check your settings as you can set what action does what in Win 10 is closing lid or pressing bower button etc, you may have it set to power off :)

Try trackpad+++ for extra settings on trackpad

Are you using an app or browser for youtube, there should be no problem with this in a browser

Keep going :)

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Thinking of getting a rMB soon. I have up to now always used VM (Parallels) and looking at some of the issues reported here am a little concerned about using BootCamp but am willing to try.

Has anyone used both VM and BootCamp and can say definitively that Native BootCamp is superior? Apart from the ease of sharing files via VM and the downside of rebooting each time into a native install, is the latter a much better and more authentic Windows experience than using a VM? I am thinking of using external drives for backups, connecting to media server and stuff like that.

Many thanks.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Thinking of getting a rMB soon. I have up to now always used VM (Parallels) and looking at some of the issues reported here am a little concerned about using BootCamp but am willing to try.

Has anyone used both VM and BootCamp and can say definitively that Native BootCamp is superior? Apart from the ease of sharing files via VM and the downside of rebooting each time into a native install, is the latter a much better and more authentic Windows experience than using a VM? I am thinking of using external drives for backups, connecting to media server and stuff like that.

Many thanks.

This is the common wisdom at present:

Boot Camp is less convenient for bouncing between OS's but is easier on the resources like the processor, battery, etc.

Parallels is more convenient for multi-OS'ing but is always running and thus is straining these resources harder.

I have not seen any definitive proof of this, but it's believed to be true, it's common sense really. For myself, I use Windows 10 100% of the time so Boot Camp is perfect for me as I only want to launch into Windows and don't want any OSX in my life. So when you say an "authentic Windows experience" I view Boot Camp as that solution. Remember, there are no compromises on the MacBook running Windows 10. If there wasn't an Apple on the front lid you wouldn't know I wasn't running an HP, a Dell, a Sony, etc.

BJ

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
There are many clear compromises having the MacBook on Windows 10, and I'm learning them as I go. Just today I found Bootcamp manager taking up 50% of the CPU, causing the MacBook to run at 2GHz until I forced the process to shut down in task manager. I also encountered the volume setting overlay just stuck there on the screen. All of this is to do with the fact that the drivers simply aren't optimised for the MacBook. Apple needs to do much, much better. However, my Bootcamp experience has been 100x better than on Parallels.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Adding to what SteveJ said:

Browser: Edge is nowhere near ready for prime time, it lacks a ton of features. I use Firefox and the FXC theme, looks identical to Edge if you want that Windows 10 UI appearance but handles tabs, YouTube, favorites, shortcuts, and all the rest like a true modern browser. Better on battery than Chrome if that's how you usually roll.

Battery: I'm assuming you are fluent in Windows and know how to use their highly configurable power management settings, know all the little secrets that eat at battery life, etc. Use Action Center in your tray to toggle the backlight down to 75% or 50% for a nice jump in battery life, I run it at 25% on a dark airplane for extended movie watching. Note that some of the Cortana features can hurt you on battery, like Location (default is 'on') and Voice Commands (I have it turned off) and the dreaded Automatic App Updates (pings the servers).

Lid: In Windows settings, make sure that a lid close equals what you want it to be. Sleep is the quickest to restart but it hurts the battery. Most of us use Hibernate which adds a few seconds to the restart time but saves the battery nicely.

Scaling: I played with this quite a bit, suggest you try setting the resolution to 1920 x 1200 and then adjust the scaling to 150%. I find that this gives me terrific retina resolution and text size that's better on the eyes.

Trackpad: I use a program called TouchFreeze which disables the trackpad when one types there aren't unintended cursor movements. As others have mentioned, there are other programs out there that restore full OSX style gestures like Trackpad+++ but besides the browser 'back' button I am happy with Boot Camp's two finger scroll, etc.

BJ

Reactions: lite426 and Queen6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
There are many clear compromises having the MacBook on Windows 10, and I'm learning them as I go. Just today I found Bootcamp manager taking up 50% of the CPU, causing the MacBook to run at 2GHz until I forced the process to shut down in task manager. I also encountered the volume setting overlay just stuck there on the screen. All of this is to do with the fact that the drivers simply aren't optimised for the MacBook. Apple needs to do much, much better. However, my Bootcamp experience has been 100x better than on Parallels.

I'm not sure why bootcamp manager was doing that it's not much more than a switching utility when going back to OSX, if it was not there you would use the alt/option key on re-boot instead

I have seen the volume overlay stick sometimes but not for long it's like the screen refresh failed

I have seen sim on OSX when you select to go back to Win it just re-boots in OSX

But all of this is very very minor

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
My God. I've been sat looking at "Getting Windows Ready
Do not turn off your computer"
for the past 15 minutes. This is what I hate about Windows.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.