Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Sound worked perfectly even without apple's drivers on my alu macbook.

The bootcamp drivers on my disc worked fine for everything.. have not tried the bluetooth, but I get a BT icon like it found it.

katak

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Sound worked perfectly even without apple's drivers on my alu macbook.

The bootcamp drivers on my disc worked fine for everything.. have not tried the bluetooth, but I get a BT icon like it found it.

I had installed all drivers from OS X disc..I mean bootcamp drivers..but once I play music/movie, I can't hear anything from my machine(macbook white)..even with Windows 7 booting sound..

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
has anybody got this to work on vmware or parallel? I keep getting an error when the files are unpacking during the install. I've tried to run it as vista and windows server 2008 but no luck.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I am a beta tester as well, I installed it onto my WhiteBook, using fusion. I have to say i would use Windows 7 build 7000 over Vista RTM anyday right now.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Anyone else figure out the sound card issues? I get an error when I manually install the drivers from the Bootcamp disk.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I actually just created a new virtual machine. When I refer to doing it as a Vista install, there are options for which OS you are installing, and I thought the vista option would be easiest. I'll try again with another option. I would imagine it should be doable.

Thanks for the thoughts though. I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Paul

There's an option for "Other Windows" which worked fine for me.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Yer i have the latest build of it on my Alu MacBook. I ran bootcamp with no issues at all track pad and sound and shortcut keys all work really well :D

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Hey, I just installed build 7000 on my WhiteBook using Fusion because BootCamp would not see the disk as bootable, anyway where can I get the appropriate drivers so that Win7 sees my wireless airport? Everything works, but the internet through that airport...
Thanks.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
wait i heard that windows 7 adapted some mac features like something similar to a dock on the desktop?

is this true?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
wait i heard that windows 7 adapted some mac features like something similar to a dock on the desktop?

is this true?

Yeah, there is some sort of dock at the bottom, but it's not as similar as I thought it would be, but it is a copy of the concept.

Its not really a copy of the dock, it just looks similar because there are no text lables and the icons are bigger. Other than that it functions just like the vista taskbar with program grouping on.
The new taskbar is much better at handling multiple windows of the same app than the dock is.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
What is the best concrete feature improvement over Vista that you early-adopters/beta-testers have run across? For me, the switch from XP to Vista brought with it a smoother UI, but not much else. What's better about 7?

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
What is the best concrete feature improvement over Vista that you early-adopters/beta-testers have run across? For me, the switch from XP to Vista brought with it a smoother UI, but not much else. What's better about 7?

To me I was looking for nothing more than speed. I completely skipped Vista, but feel Win7 is more refined much like we expect SnowLeopard to be... I like the new dock and how it simplifies multiple windows of a single program under the program's icon. To me the supposed framerate increases are most improved.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
installed it on my macbook. It was easy just installing form the iso data file and making a new virtual machine. set 768MB ram for the OS and 10GB for mem. Installation took up 3.3GB or so if I remember, so not bad!

VMWare Fusion 2

3155035856_9bc009eca5.jpg

it's a little small but you get the picture, no pun intended.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
Last night I installed Windows 7 beta on top of my Vista bootcamp partition using the upgrade function. Installation was a breeze, and everything took maybe an hour.

It just works, and I'm really amazed because I was expecting to have to troubleshoot at least one thing. I haven't had to reinstall any drivers or programs because everything from my Vista install (including apple drivers) carried over. I haven't run into any problems so far.

TJMeier

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008

The UI looks very similar to Vista besides the new taskbar. The windows sidebar is gone now so any gadgets you want just go anywhere on the desktop(why can't my dashboard just be on my desktop!?!?). Like i mentioned in a post above, if you move the mouse to the bottom right it turns any open windows transparent so you can see the desktop.

I think the biggest improvement to me so far is the speed everything happens. Upon boot up I can instantly see everything and clicking on a program ex. Media Player, will open it right away. I'm used to booting and waiting for about a minute for everything to load. As others have said it just feels more refined. Possibly this time around they are just fine tuning everything over adding features. If feels to me like it could ship tomorrow and be MUCH better accepted then Vista is..not that that would be too hard to do.

Now bring on Snow Leopard.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
There's an option for "Other Windows" which worked fine for me.

You are correct. Thanks for the help. Incidently, for some odd reason, if you just use "other" instead of "other windows", it hangs about 1 minute into the install every time. I have no idea why it would be different, but it is.

Now, if I could only get Aero working on my MBP unibody (I know parallels doesn't support aero at this time at all)...

Cheers,

Paul

pj-

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
I upgraded an existing vista bootcamp install to windows 7. Works great, but now I get a blue screen every time I try to boot into it with VMWare. I've tried changing the OS to Other and Windows server 2008, and I've tried downgrading it, nothing has worked.

Anyone able to get it working?

minijon

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I've replaced my Vista VM with Windows 7. It takes much less to run well - for what I'm doing, 512 is plenty.

Just trying to find some differences, other than the UI and the cleanup of the general Hoggy-ness of the system, the "Homegroup" function seems to be a major new feature. Some sort of automatic media serving function.

On the network, I just had to name it Fishtank.

(Vista was "Pigpen")

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
sounds cool that it can run better with less resources - for those that are running it now, can your favorite xp/vista apps work on it? i've read that the core is pretty much the same as in vista - the biggest revamp is in the visual displays. interesting that the visuals take up all those resources. maybe this is why people are moving towards pushing the visuals onto the graphx cards.

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I have build 7000 running in Bootcamp and it's amazing. I actually liked Vista and didn't have issues with it, however this latest version is shaping up to be a big improvement in many areas.

minijon

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yes, Win7 is meant to be directly compatible with all Vista 32bit software/drivers. Which means that the Apple 32-bit vista drivers should work great. 32bit Vista software should work fine too.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
sounds cool that it can run better with less resources - for those that are running it now, can your favorite xp/vista apps work on it? i've read that the core is pretty much the same as in vista - the biggest revamp is in the visual displays. interesting that the visuals take up all those resources. maybe this is why people are moving towards pushing the visuals onto the graphx cards.

I had it running in a VM with 1024mb ram and after boot it had plateaued at ~260 mb usage. Very impressive.
I've not tried many apps on it, but from what i hear they all work fine. Much better than the Tiger->Leo transition :(

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I had it running in a VM with 1024mb ram and after boot it had plateaued at ~260 mb usage. Very impressive.
I've not tried many apps on it, but from what i hear they all work fine. Much better than the Tiger->Leo transition :(

LOL tell me about it... Leopard still isn't 100% yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.