Windows 7, Boot Camp and Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JasonR, May 28, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I know Windows 7 is supported Via boot camp, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've searched. Is there some sort of walk through on running Windows 7 in Parallels?

My Windows 7 boot camp installation works perfectly, so no problems there. I try to use WIndows 7 in Parallels and it asks me to boot from the CD when configuring Windows 7 OS. I don't have a Parallels disk, but I tried inserting my Windows 7 disk...but no go. Any ideas?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

For Parallels: During the VM setup, point it to your mounted Windows 7 DVD. Or, just mount the ISO image. That's the way I did my install (Parallels 4).

3. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I already have my boot camp partition set to 32 GB...and installed some programs under boot camp. That's why I want to use my boot camp partition...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I thought you were doing an install, since Parallels was asking for a boot disk.

During the VM setup, skip "operating system detection". When it asks for the OS type, you can either select Win7 or "other" (I'm not sure which, since I only have Win7 in VM). VM Type is "Custom". Next, there's an option in the "Hard Disk Options" for Boot Camp. Select "Boot Camp Partition"

It's probably best to check out the help file under "Creating a Virtual Machine for the Boot Camp Partition"

5. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Nevermind. Got it working perfectly! Windows 7 seems to run much smoother in Boot Camp and Parallels than XP ever did. I'm still new to all of the features, however.

Too bad I only use Windows for Quickbooks Pro. :)

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Good job.

I'll have to play w/ Win7 a bit more. On the surface, it's better than Vista (not that it's that difficult...), and a step up from XP. I need to spend a bit more time in it to really tell. Usually, I run Win2K in Parallels, and XP SP3 in BC. I only run one app (RealFlight) in XP, so unless it needs Win7 (doubtful), BC will stay in XP.

7. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ya, I just bored with XP and just got my MBP from Apple so I decided to install Windows 7. Now I'm having permission issues. argh!

8. Gonzo221 macrumors newbie

How did you get parallels to find windows 7 boot camp?

I've been trying to get parallels to find my windows 7 installation on boot camp but it doesn't want to work at all... Please help!

9. Ariez macrumors regular

Anyone know when will Fusion officially support Windows 7?

10. jon08 macrumors 65816

I have a question: back when I had XP installed on my BootCamp and when I installed Parallels I didn't have to install XP again over Parallels.

But now that I tried the same with Windows 7 (first install thru Bootcamp) and now that I wanted to run it in Parallels I have to install Windows in the virtual machine too.

Why??

11. peetah macrumors member

Use the settings for Vista. No problems for me.

12. GabrielHay macrumors newbie

Parallels 4 breaks Windows 7 running under Boot Camp

I'm intrigued to know how to got it working Jason! Here's what I did and maybe you can help me:

1) Installed Windows 7 in a Boot Camp Partition using the Boot Camp installer. It works just fine.
    2) Using Parallels 4 - Selected File/New Virtual Machine.
    3) Selected the Boot Camp Partition
    4) Selected a new folder for Parallels to store its stuff relating to the new "VM".
    5) Parallels then told me it had detected the VM, and was installing Parallels Tools.
    6) I then got an alert telling me that I needed to complete the Parallels Tools installation manually. "Please insert your CD" to continue.
    7) I don't have a Parallels CD (though it wasn't exactly clear what CD I was being asked to insert.)
    8) Clicked continue and the VM gave me an error message telling me that it was now corrupted and would attempt to self repair. Self repair failed. Can't now log in to the Windows 7 VM either through Parallels or through a re-boot.

It seems that Parallels 4 is stuffing up my Windows 7 VM quite reliably as I've been through this whole process end to end twice now - with the same result.