Windows 7 boot camp installation - ~14 gigs!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesmoth, Jul 11, 2009.

1. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I made my bootcamp partition small at 16 gb (apparently far too small) since I was just going to use it for a couple of programs. I went to install a game and it looks like windows 7 on it's own is taking up 14 gigs. Is this normal?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I haven't checked, but yeah, that is probably about right

I think I set my partition at 30 GB as I recall

In order to make your partition larger, you will need to use WinClone, to clone your partition, run Boot Camp Assistant again and delete the partition, run it again and recreate a larger partition and then restore your clone

Or... you can just delete the partition with Boot Camp Assistant and start over with a clean install on a new partition

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. p3ncil macrumors regular

it will er apparently grow on it own.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/a_deeper_look_disk_space_usage_windows_7_and_windows_vista

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In short time that space will disappear thanks to Windows 7 ever so need of disc space.

Protip - windows 7 or Vista grows as time passes.

5. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like a neat trick to bloat the operating system and cause slow downs and disc space shortages, forcing people to upgrade more frequently than is really needed.

Thanks MS! I'm so glad I switched to mac a couple of weeks ago, this thing rocks.

6. tsa1 macrumors regular

damn this makes me think twice about installing windows 7 on my 13mbp. especially since i have a 160gb HD.

7. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a big external hard drive that I can put large files on, but still it seems like i'd need at LEAST 30 gigs of space for windows 7 just to be able to use a couple of applications and games.

I'm waiting until a 200-300 gig SSD intel drive becomes economical (less than $400) so i don't want to get a 500 gig WD.

8. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

So i ran winclone and made an image of my bootcamp drive, but the image file is only 4.1 gigs, where the bootcamp drive is 15 gigs.

Is this normal or is something missing?

9. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Much of it has to do with updates and uninstallers for the updates in hidden folders. Much of that space can be recovered without issue though. You just lose the ability to easily uninstall updates.

And of course Shadow Copy will use space as well to make backups of files, in case you ever made a change you didn't want to do.

But your right, it will use more space over time, but it's really only a problem if you don't partition enough space.;)

10. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

There are some things you can do to get space back:

Run ccleaner
    Disable system restore, and remove restore snapshots
    Adjust the page file
    Adjust recycle bin reserved space

Use the add/remove programs to remove windows components (windows media player, fax stuff, IE8, anything you do not need).