Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P90Xfit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Just installed and played Empire:total war on windows 7 on 2.53 MBP. Ran smooth didn't try messing with the settings, as I'll do this on the final build not the demo, but all seems well. Just wanted to let you guys and gals out there using windows 7 know, it can run current games with out any problem so far. Windows 7 Build 7000

Any one need a key let me know.

the one windows gave me works infinite amount of times.

Ol3s

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
L'viv, Ukraine
I tried it, it works terribly. I could not launch a single game, all of them didn't work for one reason or another, counter-strike didn't work because windows didnt recognise somthn, stalker didn't work because the disk was not recognised adn CoD5 didn't work at all, it just crashed.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Great news. I've played every single TW game until the next one came out. I'm still playing MII. I've got my 17" unibbody coming in, so I hope that can run it.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I got Rome: Total War Gold from Steam for free when I preordered Empire. I got Rome working in Crossover Games on my MBP. I did have to turn off shadows for it to work, though, because with shadows on it kept crashing in the battle mode with "not enough texture memory". With shadows turned off, it seems to run perfectly fine.

I never got around to buying Medieval 2, though. Maybe someday I will get it, but since I now have Rome and Empire, as well as Dawn of War 2, I'll have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

P90Xfit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
The real reason I put this thread up, is for people that want to play the game, and would have to go buy windows and then the game. Well now they can run a free windows 7 and now play the game. On the MBP it runs good, I just down a few things.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
The real reason I put this thread up, is for people that want to play the game, and would have to go buy windows and then the game. Well now they can run a free windows 7 and now play the game. On the MBP it runs good, I just down a few things.

didn't think about that, great job! Win7 is fairly stable, even some gaming benchmarks have been done on it and it's not bad. I'm assuming Empire won't run well, if at all on my MB =)

P90Xfit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I just googled this subject and it would have it that this is one of the only post about this subject I could find!

So, I'll keep it going with more testing, I just bought the game. I played through the Land Tutorial all the way through with most every thing on or on high-medium and now slow down!

No black screen of death! Now I was getting this BSOD for a little bit. Don't panic! it might just be a driver issue.

I went back and forth through forums and such and finally after much tweaking, I got ALL windows 7 driver working. even those two sm bus things!

so post here if you need any help.

I'll report back when I have a full 3 hours or more of gaming on the MBP 2.53

once I have this time in, I'll be more curtain that there are no problems.

laserracer

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
can't run empire total war

I just got Empire but I can't figure out how to get it to run on windows 7. whenever i start it the screen just goes white with the empire cursor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried running it on different compatibility settings as the administrator but the same thing keeps on happening.

Windburn

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
This is terrific news!
I may even buy it now, as I really wanted to have this on my MBP 2.53.

Did you guys run Windows 7 via bootcamp or vmware?
Also, is there any way it works on Crossover Games? That's my ideal solution, but for an excellent game like this (the reviewers have been going crazy over it), I may even break my promise to myself and install Windows.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
This is terrific news!
I may even buy it now, as I really wanted to have this on my MBP 2.53.

Did you guys run Windows 7 via bootcamp or vmware?
Also, is there any way it works on Crossover Games? That's my ideal solution, but for an excellent game like this (the reviewers have been going crazy over it), I may even break my promise to myself and install Windows.

vmware is not a good alternative for games esp one with heftier requirements.. I say you'd prob have to use bootcamp.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
It doesn't work in Crossover Games. Brand new games usually take some work to get ported to work, if they ever get done. You'll probably have to install Windows to play this game for a while.

Miklaesse

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Just installed and played Empire:total war on windows 7 on 2.53 MBP. Ran smooth didn't try messing with the settings, as I'll do this on the final build not the demo, but all seems well. Just wanted to let you guys and gals out there using windows 7 know, it can run current games with out any problem so far. Windows 7 Build 7000

Can you give me the key from your beta. Thanks.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Sounds great!

Unfortunately, I have a Macbook with GMA 950, and although I have Windows 7, I of course can't run it, no matter how much I want to. ;)

ritzuk

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2005
I'm thinking about picking up a 2.6 iMac with the 2600 pro - I wonder if anyone has any idea how well Empire: Total War would run?

P90Xfit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
OK I have been playing it for about a weak now, and it runs for hours just fine.

I did however change the GPU driver. I then had another problem after a few days of playing, it would seem the driver needed to be re installed, so keep an eye on that.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Anyone running Empire Total War on XP via BootCamp and a 8600M GT? I don't want to go through the whole Windows install just to test the demo.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I have run a few battles on my early 2008 MBP with the 8600GT. It runs just fine at 1920x1200 if I set the details to "medium" and shaders to "3.0 low" or "shaders 2". I also set unit size to small since I spend most of the battles zoomed out anyway. I always run with low shadows. It did get sluggish when I zoomed into a melee, but zoomed out it is just fine. I'm probably going to step down the display size a little, though, because I think I want to run it in a window instead of full screen.

Also as a side note, I preordered Empire: TW from Steam, so I got Rome: TW Gold for free. I was able to get that to play in Crossover Games, though I had to turn off shadows for it to work in battle mode. With shadows turned on it kept giving me "not enough texture memory" errors, but it works fine with shadows off.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I have run a few battles on my early 2008 MBP with the 8600GT. It runs just fine at 1920x1200 if I set the details to "medium" and shaders to "3.0 low" or "shaders 2". I also set unit size to small since I spend most of the battles zoomed out anyway. I always run with low shadows. It did get sluggish when I zoomed into a melee, but zoomed out it is just fine. I'm probably going to step down the display size a little, though, because I think I want to run it in a window instead of full screen.

Also as a side note, I preordered Empire: TW from Steam, so I got Rome: TW Gold for free. I was able to get that to play in Crossover Games, though I had to turn off shadows for it to work in battle mode. With shadows turned on it kept giving me "not enough texture memory" errors, but it works fine with shadows off.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear its at least playable, I'll definitely check it out in the next few days.

Kerem72

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009

Do you use FAT32 or NTFS? I'm asking this question because i wonder if Windows 7 works with FAT32 well.

Josh0889

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Key!!

Hey man is there any way i could get that key please? thanks a lot

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
You can go get it yourself from Microsoft. The RC build is out for the public. Just download it and get a key from their website.

StGeorgesSon

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Empire Total War help

Hi all,
I am a first time poster on this forum, having read many threads and been impressed by the level of help and tips given.

I am about to purchase an IMac for the first time (the Imac 24, 2.93 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GT 120, 640 GB Hard Drive). Now I understand that you can Bootcamp Windows, which is what I intend to do. However I have two questions which will effect my purchase, so I really am after some good advice.

1. I have a clean copy with auth key of Windows Vista Business Ed, which I intend to bootcamp. Does this sound ok to everyone ?

2. I am a complete Total War enthusiast and love Empire Total War to bits, will the above system cope with it ?

If you can help its apprecaited, I am really keen to get into the Mac, however love my gaming aswell and in my mind, if I can get TW running my other games will run easily

Thanks

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
You should be able to run Empire: Total War just fine. You may not be able to play it at the most detailed settings, but just play around to find the right mix that works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.