Windows 7 or Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DealerQueen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. DealerQueen macrumors newbie

I apologize if this have been brought before, but what would fit better for MacBook, W7 or WXP?

2. KirkL macrumors 6502

Depends, what are you going to use?

Obviously Windows 7 is better supported than XP now. But XP has lower hardware requirements so it might be "faster". Windows 7 is actually pretty good btw.

3. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Does Window 7 run well in Parallels 4? Or do we need 5?

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Windows 7 is a lot more secure compared to XP, and Microsoft are likely to eventually stop supporting XP (although that probably won't happen within 5 years).

5. KirkL macrumors 6502

XP you mean ;)

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Windows 7 makes better use of multi-core processors (like in your MacBook). Given how old XP is, you really should go with 7.

7. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Windows 7, it's much faster than XP (Well to me it is)

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, it's just a more modern operating system (considering XP came out in something like 2003) so it's going to work better with more modern hardware like multi-core processors.

9. usuario macrumors newbie

The more service packs and patches you need to install, the slower the operating system seems to get. That said, you need to install 3 service packs and dozens of patches to get XP up to date and as secure as possible, while Windows 7 hasn't had a service pack yet. Windows 7 feels much faster than Windows XP SP3, though I'd imagine that a clean install of Windows XP would be comparable in speed, but dangerous if you connect it to the Internet.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Those Service Packs are cumulative, you only need to install the latest. And since this is XP, you can even slipstream an installation CD with the Service Pack - in other words: You bring the installation medium to SP3 level and don't need to install the service pack separately anymore, that way you'll have a clean installation of Win XP SP3.

XP still is the operating system with the largest market share, but it's almost ten years old now and I certainly wouldn't install it on a 64-Bit multi-core machine.

To the OP: Don't bother with legacy systems and install a 64-Bit version of Windows 7 on your computer.

11. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Windows 7.

I don't like Windows, but even I can appreciate that Windows 7 is superior to Windows XP, which came out in October 2001. Of course whatever works for you is what you should choose, and you're more than welcome to use other still-functional systems like DOS, but there comes a time when you need to move on - which is probably why you're a Mac user in the first place. :D

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While I would opt for W7 under most circumstances, for the reasons everyone else has mentioned it really depends on what it is that you want to do with Windows. If your key need for using Windows is compatibility with older applications, stick with XP.

B

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

Windows 7 32-bit edition (pro or higher) will run faster than windows 7 64-bit on a stock macbook pro, and the install size is smaller. Also install an antivirus.

XP has the smallest install size but it requires a lot of patches and security software before you plug in the network cable.

14. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

+1.

If you need an antivirus, install Microsoft security essentials which is free.

15. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I would say Windows 7 for security, stabililty and useability.

Windows XP is slowly being dropped. If you do go for Windows XP, you'll have to spend a good couple of hours having to download all of the of the patches and updates with an endless amount of reboots. Windows 7 can download and install all the patches it needs in one reboot.

I run Windows 7 on my late 2009 MacBook Pro. I prefer running it over Snow Leopard.

16. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Three months ago I was choosing between getting a 13" or a 15" Macbook Pro, I had the same decision to make for my bootcamp partition.

For the 13" macbook with no plans to upgrade from 2GB of memory, I would stick with Windows XP. Windows XP, even the home edition have multi-processor support (supports Duo Core). Windows XP doesn't take advantage of memory past 2 GB.

For 15" macbook with 4GB of memory, its a no brainer, go with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, as it takes advantage of the extra memory. Microsoft stated that Windows 7 Pro has XP compatibility, while Windows Home does not.

As for the issue of patching, as time evolves Microsoft will also come out with Service Packs for Windows 7. Microsoft still issues security updates for Windows XP, however these patches are not put into a collection known as a Service Pack.

Things you should know, if you already didn't. If you're installing a licensed copy of Windows 7, you'll need to use the Windows 7 Full, or OEM version. You're not suppose to use the upgrade version on Apple hardware, unless you already have a prior version of Windows installed. Microsoft no longer produces Windows XP licenses, however you can use a Windows 7 license to run Windows XP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Hope this helps

17. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You can do a clean install of Windows 7 with upgrade media, you just have to change a value in a registry key to allow the product to be activated.

You can do it by following one of three methods on this webpage: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

It's perfectly legal. Microsoft even allows it because people thought the upgrade edition where a bit stupid.

I have done this method myself with using upgrade media and it works perfectly.

18. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

If you have a prior version of Windows installed, you can use Upgrade. If you don't have a prior version of Windows installed, you'll need to use Full. Installing on a new mac is a bare metal installation, not a custom installation, and that requires the Full version.

After reading your post, I re-checked Microsoft's website, and their policy still stands.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Changing the registry key to bypass the activation process is viable option. Just like running a red light when there are no cars around, it works but falls in the gray area.

19. marykom macrumors newbie

I prefer always Windows 7, It's provides lots of new features along with a newly designed interface. It looks very similar to Windows Vista but there are many GUI changes like redesigned taskbar, Explorer, new boot screen and login screen, etc.

20. usuario macrumors newbie

hmm that's funny. I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft allows Boot Camp users to install the Upgrade version. i.e. that there's some kind of exception for Mac OS X users.

21. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Whoever told you that pulled it out of their ass.

22. cmon360 macrumors newbie

23. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Neither. You need VMware Fusion 3 :p

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

XP came out almost 10 years ago! :eek:

^^
    Enough said.

25. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

My only beef about Windows 7 is that it always requires activation. While the 10 license VLK of XP I bought ages doesn't bother, just allows me to happily install and go.

The only way around this is to set up a KMS so Windows 7 bounces off an internal activation server and is golden for six months, but one needs a lot of licenses in order for MS to grant that ability.

If it were up to me, I'd go Windows 7. Windows 7 is made to deal with security issues in 2010. XP was engineered for security issues for the year 2000 and possibly 2001, then patched repeatedly to minimize the effect of popups. XP just needs to die and the world move on.