Windows 7 Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jfreak623, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

I am trying to download windows 7 on my macbook and i cant get it to download. I have tried safari and firefox. In firefox it says click here to install silverlight and i did and restarted and did it again and i get the same message. Anyone else have problems downloading on mac?

2. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

I couldn't download it from the Microsoft website but I think they disabled the link. I had to find another source...

3. powz macrumors regular

I also had problems downloading with a Mac (Safari, Firefox). But when I tried downloading the beta with Internet Explorer (via VMWare Fusion VM), it asked to install an ActiveX program, after which the download worked. So...if you can't get it downloading in OS X, try IE if you have it.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I tried also on OS X. Wouldn't download. To download Win7 using OS X find the direct download links on Gizmodo and don't interrupt the download.

If you wish to use Fusion or Parallels, just use Internet Explorer in XP or Vista. Then copy to your OS X desktop and done.

Edit -

Ok by clicking me you will be sent to Gizmodo's page on How to install Win 7. In that post there will be links to directly download either Win 7 32-bit or Win 7 64-bit. You still need a Key for Win 7 which I think you already have.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You need IE7 or IE8 to download it. I had to download it on my dad's virtual machine.

6. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

has anyone had any problems after installing on macbook? Im gonna be using bootcamp. Any known issues so far?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No issues. You need to be at least familiar to do workarounds when it comes to installing drivers. But beyond that, it is fairly stable (at least for me).

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Audio drivers are rarely working, or so I've heard, but other than that, nothing.

9. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Downloaded on Mac Os X with firefox at 2.5mb/s without a problem, from the microsoft website.

10. CBeckstrand macrumors member

I installed one of the previous builds on my Alu. Macbook in Boot Camp and was impresses how well it ran. After the install use your OS X disk to load the Vista drivers and everything should be recognized.

11. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

do i install the drivers from the OSX disc with OSX or windows 7 running?

12. manuel.mx macrumors member

I got it to work pretty smoothly on my alu macbook, with sound and everything. Im using the drivers provided on the Leopard DVD from the recovery discs.

The only trouble I had was with bluetooth devices, there is a workaround for that in the Windows on Mac forum here on MacRumors.

I installed the 64 bit version by the way.

Good luck

Ps. You install bootcamp drivers ON windows, you cant do anything to windows from OS X, unless you use parallels or something. Although im not sure it will work under parallels.

13. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok one more question. I have the file downloaded from microsoft....how do i make it a ISO? to burn? I have the newest version of toast....

14. manuel.mx macrumors member

what version of windows you've got? x64(64 bit) or x86(32 bit)?

You should've downloaded an ISO file..... like 3gbs big or so. You can burn it using the Leopards Disc Utility or with toast im sure, look for an option to burn image or so, read the file documentation or do a google search on how to burn this. Also there are guides around on how to install it. Check the Windows on Mac forum here for more information and resources.

15. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dled the 64 bit. i do have the ISO...should i just burn as a data disc through toast?

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I got the ISO image from torrent. Installed w/ VM Ware fusion 2. Works nice!

[​IMG]

17. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

just wanted to say thanks everybody! i got it installed! Works smoothly!