Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuiPol

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Hello guys (and girls of course !)

I'm searching for any inputs on the following matter to make a clone of an NTFS SSD with windows 7 sp1 on it.

Final goal is : clone an ssd drive with windows 7 on my mac pro 5 to put the newly cloned drive on my mac pro 4->5 to avoid the pain of reinstalling everything from scratch..

So, i've tried for the past few days to clone a ssd drive with windows 7 installed on it's own disk (legacy boot mode and formatted in NTFS) installed in my mac pro 5.

*I've tried with winclone 6 and 7 to no avail* to copy that disk to a samsung evo860 240gb (first in an USB3 dock and also directly connected to an internal sata port)

-"Cloning disk to disk" option failed miseraby when it was "scanning the source", it got stuck EACH time at the beginning of the progress bar. it's a definitive no go
-"Cloning the disk to an image" and "restoring image to the destination disk" worked ! BUT : when you boot on the newly formatted and cloned disk it gives you a BSOD EACH TIME after the first windows boot image is displayed (even on the SAME mac pro with the SAME drivers and hardware !)

My first intention was to clone my windows SSd (installed on my mac pro 5) and to put the clone on my mac pro 4 (knowing that the hardware is quite the same)...Of course : BSOD after the first loading screen of windows..
*So i've tried to see if the cloned image was good or no to begin with..i've put the cloned disk back inside the mac pro 5 which did the copy (the one with the source drive on windows already!!! So same drivers and all, no excuses, no objective reason to fail !) => same BSOD each time...

The BSOD which comes after the first windows 7 bootscreen is displayed state that "windows shut down to prevent any harm to your computer, remove any peripheral newly installed etc etc.. run chdsk /f etc etc"

Can you enlighten me in regards of that pretty annoying situation ... Because if i can't clone that disk that also means i'll NEVER get the chance to save my windows disk in case of trouble...

PS: acronis true image is a no go too...:/ Don't ever say i did not try by myself ! lol

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.