Windows 7 Student Offer works on Mac's Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amitdoc2b, Sep 18, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

They are offering Windows 7 home premium for $29.99 to students, but I use Snow Leopard. I wanted to add the Windows 7 in my computer to use for bootcamp.

So my question is.. is this an upgrade (do I need a pre-existing Windows XP or Vista software) or can I have nothing previously and it allows me to install from scratch?

Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's an upgrade, won't work.

3. Freesundae macrumors newbie

Msdnaa

I have Windows 7 up and running on my Macbook Pro. It works just fine.

I don't know where you are a student or your grade level but if your in college your school may subscribe to the MSDNAA (Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance) it that case you can get the full version of Windows 7 for free. Check out this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861347.aspx to do a school search. I think even some high schools are involved.

Tim

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your post. My school is offering the Windows 7 professional if you're in computer science, unfortunately I don't qualify for that and I wanted the home edition anyways. I don't mind paying the $30, I just am not sure if the the $30 is an upgrade of Windows XP/Vista or if its a full copy? I don't have anything to upgrade from.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's an upgrade. So you'll need something to upgrade from, either XP or Vista.

6. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

It says upgrade version but on the web site it says if you select "custom installation" it will let you install it on a blank hard drive. I assume this will work.

7. rstankey macrumors newbie

So no one knows for sure whether it will work or not?

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone?

9. Boesky macrumors 6502

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Oh, that's an excellent advice. Not.

11. Betelgeuse macrumors member

Yeah. While I don't object necessarily to people using torrents, I think you should probably draw the line at your operating system.

MSDN-AA is great, if you have access to it. Usually it's pretty open-ended what you can use it for and it's totally free. I think they like to keep it quiet so they don't get overrun with license requests.

12. quactaur macrumors newbie

13. JessicaD macrumors newbie

Amitdoc2b,

The Windows 7 $30 dollar offer to students in an upgrade. For more information and to see if you qualify, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/m7nyxa

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

14. subalou1 macrumors newbie

Is the windows 7 student offer a disk? I thought I read that it was only available as a download.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Download only and they give you only the upgrade version which means you must have something to upgrade (XP or Vista)

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I believe that the $29 is a download, but I recall reading on one of Microsoft's pages that you can pay a little extra and get a physical copy of it.

17. GSPEC macrumors newbie

I am also running 10.6, and I purchased the 64-bit Pro version for $30. I used CrossOver to download the files and now all I have is a folder on my hard drive called "expandedSetup" with the contents of what looks like one would find on a Windows Install CD/DVD.

I tried using Burn to write it to a DVD (in UDF mode) so I could mount it to install w/Bootcamp, but when I ran the disk it would not boot. Any suggestions?

I also tried creating a blank .DMG and .CDR image, but for some reason I am getting it wrong. Should the format be .FAT, .NTFS or something else? Not to mention, I am getting the (INVALID ARGUMENT) failure when trying to create any blank disk image.

Now I am getting the feeling that the $13 for the install disk would have been worth it :(

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What a genius! :D

19. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

What? Microsoft actually pays people to hang around in Mac forums?

20. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

This will show you how to make a bootable disk out of it...but Windows is required: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

I would suggest just installing Windows 7 beta onto the PC you want to use the Windows 7 retail version on. Then just copy over your install file and upgrade the PC that way.

21. md63 macrumors 6502

I ordered the $30 Student download version along with the back up disks. I received the email for download but don't yet have the disks. Anyone know what you actually get for the back up disks for this promo and will it install in Boot Camp?

Thanks

22. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

23. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

24. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Jessica,

Isn't your job to tell us that Win 7 IS an upgrade to Snow Leopard? :)

Seriously though, this (from the page that she linked to) seems to say that we could make it work with the disk. (I did check out the instructions on creating an install DVD from the downloaded files, however, those instructions assume you are working from Windows directories.)

From the eligibility page:
    "Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer doesn't have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot)."

Sure they are talking about multi-booting different versions of Windows but I think that the blank partition is what we would work with for a boot camp install.

25. TheKevlarMonk macrumors newbie

This has been driving me nuts...

So I need Windows for certain programs, and I just went against my grain and bought a MBP 15" even with an update looming in the next few months. As a student, $30 sounds great, $43 fine if it works.

But really, if I shell out $43 for a disk version and it still doesn't work, I just lost three months worth of Ramen. That doesn't vibe with my budget.