Windows 7 Student Promo on a mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kim6ball, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kim6ball macrumors member

Students can get windows 7 for $30. Does anyone know if that version works on a macbook? Is it possible to take windows off the mac later on and put it on another computer?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it will work on any Mac with Boot Camp. Yes, you can uninstall it and install it on any other computer.

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Ay? I'm pretty sure you can't.

4. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I went to order one today, but under the billing it says that the promotion is only good through jan. 3. Yet I read earlier jan 5. I've emailed them because I don't want to be charged the full price. I've heard no response as of yet, so do I take the chance?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course you can, as long as you're not installing it on multiple computers.

6. kim6ball thread starter macrumors member

I thought it was the fifth too. I just bought it for 30 because I submitted my email address last week.

7. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I got the win7 pro for free from MSDN-AA... And it's good only for installing on 1 computer (mac or PC). It will install on more than one, but will not activate, because the product key is Retail, not a MAK key.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I spent 8 hours on the phone with MS support because I had installed the offer in bootcamp, before realizing that having it installed in a virtual machine would suite my needs much better. The activation code CAN ONLY BE USED ONCE WITH THIS OFFER.

Just so you guys know.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That makes no sense. What if the computer or hard drive you originally install it on is stolen or damaged and has to be replaced? I can't imagine MS not allowing you to reinstall on a replacement computer or hard drive, even if a re-activation (versus initial activation) code is needed. I'd have to see that restriction in writing from MS before I'd believe it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Believe me bud, thats the way it goes, I asked (rather pissed off) about the same scenario you brought up. It blew my mind as well.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where is it in writing? I wouldn't believe what any employee says. In writing, or it's not real.

Edit: I found the answer on this site by clicking "Buy Now" and then clicking the F.A.Q.:

Picture 1.jpg

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

The licence is definitely only for one computer. You can check yourself if you like.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's one computer at a time. It doesn't mean you can only install it on one computer and if that computer dies, you lose your software. Microsoft doesn't work that way for ANY software they sell.

14. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Ok, sorry I was sure it was to one computer because I've heard about people having to get in touch with Microsoft to alter the licence if too many major parts fail on the computer.

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking about OEM rather than retail...

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

THERE IS NO DEACTIVATION METHOD TO FREE UP THAT LICENSE. That is what made me so unbelievably pissed off about this offer, in this case this IS how microsoft works.

No one was able to give me a way to free up the activation code, they plain and simple wouldn't let me do it. I had to go through to upper managers and special technicians because "my case is a circumstance which they haven't had to deal with before." BS.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you buy the backup media, you don't need to de-activate and re-activate to do a clean install.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Backup media?

If you mean the CD you had to pay $10 for vs. the download (their preferred method), I went with the download assuming it would be a simple ISO with a key emailed to me. Nope, they went through some other company to distribute the online download, and did some .box crap that caused all kinds of problems initially. They cleaned up their mistakes later (going the ISO route) but the whole experience left me with an extreme lack of confidence or trust in MS.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I feel your pain in dealing with MS. They aren't the most efficient organization in the world, to put it mildly. The point is, if you buy Windows 7 on the Student Promo and install it on one computer, if that computer dies or you choose to replace it, or you choose to install Windows 7 on a different computer (not at the same time), you CAN do that, by buying the backup media. There is nothing in MS's license agreement that prohibits you re-installing on another computer, as long as you're not installing on more than one at a time. You don't have a one-shot-only installation scenario.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I could not do it WITHOUT the disk. Buying the disk was not the same process you showed above (the original site was different, note that I bought the offer about a month before 7 was even released). Had I paid the $10 extra to get the disk, maybe I wouldn't have had an issue. Again, it's not the license that I'm dealing with directly, I'm sure you're right in their policies, but just because their license said it, didn't mean that activation would go through. Heres how I know, it didn't, not until I went up three management levels and had one of them "go against regulations (as he BS'd to me)" to get me a different activation code.

If anything, I just want MS to revamp their call center policies and communication (NO ONE could pass the problem on to anyone else for some reason). No easy feat, seeing as they employ tens of thousands across the globe.

20. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Wow Windows 7 i'd like to give it a go? and for $30 bucks thats a steal.

21. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

If you need Windows apps, go with 7. It's a step way way up from Vista.

That being said, why would you ever want to go back "just to try it out" (w/o needing apps)? OSX is fantastic.

22. Antangil macrumors newbie

This is exactly the same as a normal win7 purchase.

You can download either an .iso or an installation package. Burn the iso to disk and voila! you have the install disk without having to purchase the backup media. For an extra $5, you can redownload said .iso as many times as you want for as long as you want, obviating the need for a physical backup.

I used the same store to get copies of office 07 and vista - office 07 activates every time (as long as I keep it to one desktop and one laptop at a time), and vista requires the same procedure as a non-student-offer version that a normal copy does.

Bearing in mind that it's only an upgrade, there is absolutely no reason not to use the studenthero.us store. With the vista version of the same offer, I've switched hard drives, switched motherboards (obviously this is all on a PC ) and the worst I've had to do is call MS and go through an automated activation code reset.

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If anyone has an issue when you call in to get an authorization code, simply tell them you got a virus and had to reinstall. I have done this several times for office and windows. They stop arguing as soon as the word virus is mentioned.

24. kim6ball thread starter macrumors member

What's the difference between the ISO and EXE? What one should I download?

25. coast1ja macrumors 6502

an ISO is a disk image... like a copy of the entire disk. EXE is an executable file.

you should download the ISO if you want to burn it to a dvd and install it from there.