Windows 7 to be released next year!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hustle, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Hardly seems worth bothering with Vista now ......

Link

A recently-release roadmap for the next major Window release – Windows 7 – indicates that Microsoft is planning to release the new operating system in the second half of 2009, rather than the anticipated release date of some time in 2010.
    There are apparently three “milestone” builds planned for 2008, and the first one – M1 – has already shipped to key partners for code validation. M1 is for the English language build only, but is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 will most likely be the last Windows operating system available in 32-bit, and given the rapid advances Windows Vista is making in the 64-bit computing market, this seems a sensible decision.

[​IMG]

is this Windows 7: this screenshot, floating around on online forums, purports to be from an alpha of Windows 7. Probably fake, but interesting nonetheless.

M2 should ship around April/May, and M3 some time in the third quarter of 2008. There’s no available roadmap information about further milestone, beta or release candidate builds, except the updated RTM release date of H2 2009.

If Windows 7 is released in the second half of 2009, this will be three years after Windows Vista which went RTM in November 2006. A three-year major product cycle would take the Windows operating system out of cycle with Windows Server, which is on an approximate four-year cycle.

The big question is who in the market will respond to an early release. The transition to Windows Vista seems to have caused a lot of angst amongst users, but I think has far more to do with moving out of the Windows XP comfort zone, rather than any indication of Vista’s quality or stability. In which case, perhaps a shorter product cycle from here on in will get users and businesses thinking ahead much quicker, not to mention the hardware vendors who were the major contributors to Vista’s shaky start.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They might be "planning to", but don't think for a second that it will actually happen. There's a lot of money to be had out of Vista yet, don't expect it's replacement to come any time soon.

3. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windows know Vista was a failure, which would want them to make Windows better, though I don't know why they'd spend money on making a new OS when they could spend the money to improve Vista.

Also, that screenshot looks like a Mac. Windows up to the same old tricks?. :p

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, plus think of how many Betas/"milestone" builds Vista went through, and how many delays there were... This is Micro$oft we are talking about...

Plus, if that pic is real, it looks like Micro$oft finally got around to copying the Dock!

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Didn't they say "Longhorn" was supposed to be released in 2003? :D

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

yup.. and it came out in Nov 2006.

So Windows 7 will be out in 2011-2012

7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yeah 2009 before they reach major setbacks.

That scrolling "dock" like thing looks very inefficient.

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Can someone actually show me this roadmap that they are talking about? Until then I am not interested. It just looks like another one of these rumour reported as news stories to me.

Also, why is a probably faked screenshot "interesting"?

9. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Looks like a legit screenshot to me, seeing as how the only thing in the grossly oversized dock are Microsoft apps. There is only one problem with the screenshot that makes it seem fake, and that is the lack of a calendar/clock.

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Like they will have it finished in 2009, probably 2013 :p

11. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

The new Windows interface sure looks disjointed.

But I guess that's nothing new...

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

13. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

That is hilarious! Five years later and they still haven't gotten close to that.

Honestly, it looks a lot more like Leopard than Vista. Well... a Leopard that has a lot of gaudy, stupid bells and whistles and a horrid color scheme.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It'll be a stinker, and a delayed stinker at that.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My guess is that Windows 7 has a shinier-than-Vista, black UI, with a start bar that 'adapts' like the Office ribbon. It will still get plenty of viruses.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

17. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

HAHA. True. I guess their strategy is to imitate Macs and hope that people will be confused and pick theirs by mistake :p

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've never known of an OS that has gotten more and more featureless with every build released....

....Other than Vista, that is.

19. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Upcoming versions of Windows will be named after dogs, rather than the cats used for Mac OS X.

21. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

I can see it now... New for 2012: upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows Chihuahua!

22. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

When you talk about Vista being a failure and Windows 7 probably being delayed years, don't be so sure. Trust me, I hate Windows more than anyone, but the facts put MS in a better position than we'd like to believe. Vista was basically the operating system that was never supposed to be. They released Vista because getting even that out put them years behind schedule, but really it was rushed to the market prematurely while still full of bugs and missing most of the planned features. In other words, Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, so Microsoft has been working on it for a long time. Vista is just what MS released in the mean time to get some cash flow rather than having four consecutive years of fiscal loss.

23. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I can hear it now - spring 2011...

We've taken the best from everywhere else and combined it all here to make our best version of Windows yet.

We call it Windows Mutt. And it's the best version yet because we didn't write it! Nope, not one single line was written by Microsoft.

That's right, we stole everything! The difference with Windows Mutt is that we're being honest this time and telling you we stole it!

The secret to Windows Mutt is that it's not static code. It's all been dynamically stolen. So when Mac OS is updated, so is Mutt. When Linux is updated, so is Mutt.

That's right, Mutt is all you'll ever need.

Sweet.

24. iLao macrumors member

iLao

Wow, this one is very funny!:p

Windows 7 will be probably better than leopard, but worst than new Mac OS X Lion (or whatever will it be).:)

Sori for maj bed inglish. :p

25. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Vista came out? I thought it was delayed again . . . :rolleyes: