Windows 8.1 run better than Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Omarsoso, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Omarsoso macrumors newbie

I bought macbook pro on july 2013 and i think it is macbook pro mid 2012 i update the mac from mountain lion to Mavericks. in the past 3 months i experienced that my mac is running slow and the memory is getting high quickly and i dont know if it is caused by the update. restarting the mac solved the problem for one day and then problem came again and again. i have windows 8.1 on the mac by bootcamp and it runs smoothly with no lags. another thing that i prefer windows 8.1 on the mac than mavericks is that i feel it gives me more than mavericks. i feel that i the screen is bigger . even in browsers it gives me a wider screen i dont know why.
    the fact that i want to use the Mavericks is obvious because i bought a mac
    i dont know if im using the mac the wrong way. if somebody has the same feeling or had the same problems and he got them solved then i need your help
    thanks in advanced and i dont want to upgrade my macs ram or do anything to the hardware. if windows 8.1 runs smoothly on the mac then so does mavericks

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows 8 is a great OS from the best software house in the world. Mavericks is another mediocre OS from the best consumer electronics company in the world.

3. psik macrumors 6502

Aaabadooo abidaaaa, so you usually make up **** like this?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No, not at all. What part do you think is incorrect?

5. alex.maxham macrumors newbie

Windows 8.1 is definitely not from the best software house. plain and simple.

6. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

you are definitely using macs the wrong way if you think a browser window is bigger in one os

7. iGripR macrumors newbie

I use both OS's daily and Windows 8 has been refreshing for me lol.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The whole thing. Microsoft is far from the best software house in the world. To you realize that your talking about the company that made Microsoft Bob, IE6, Windows Vista and let this guy run the company for 13 years! Not to mention the hardware fails like the Zune and Kin.

Mavericks is a very good OS, not the best one ever if you looking at OSs in their own time, but it's very good.

While I am an Apple fan, I'm saying this from an unbiased standpoint. Microsoft has shown a huge lack of direction (see Xbox One) and releases some really bad products, while it's definitely not all bad (XP, Windows 7, Xbox, Xbox 360, Halo, Flight Simulator X were all great) they are really hit-or-miss to extremes and have a lot of steps backwards (Vista, Xbox One?, Windows 8).

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think you have your rose colored glasses on. I have nothing to say about MS Bob, but I can certainly attest to Vista and IE6. IE6 was the best web browser in 2001. It supported things like AJAX, which Netscape Navigator didn't. The fact that you had people using IE6 10 years later, but no one using Netscape Navigator 10 years later should show you that IE was pretty darn good.

Likewise, Vista, for all of its problems, wasn't anywhere near as bad as OS X was in the same time frame. Where Vista had slow file system access and poor video driver support due to nVidia, it never had the BSOD issues like Leopard, or glaring data loss bugs like Snow Leopard did. Actually, for Vista Microsoft re-wrote the entire graphics stack without breaking compatibility.

Last but not least, Microsoft supports their older OS's, and works to make them backwards compatible*. Something that Apple doesn't care about at all with OS X.

*About 1/2 way down, search for SimCity without the space

10. cirus macrumors 6502a

A huge problem with Vista was that OEMs tried to sell machines without proper hardware (512 MB or 1 GB RAM most commonly). The system performed poorly and MS was blamed. Not to say Vista was good but a lot of it is not MS's fault.

11. magnumpi macrumors member

A clean install should solve all your issues.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Mavericks runs terrific on my machine.

Even right now it’s perky :D That's extra cool since I’m running Win7 in a VM (that’s running VS2010, MS SQL), and on the native side Safari, Mail, ST2, Pow/Anvil servers (3), Postgres, several shells, visual JSON, Cyberduck and iTunes (which is serving up EPs of a show to the main TV+AppleTV across from my office), supporting both the internal display and an external 24”.

’11 MBP w/ 16GB RAM, i7 2.3GHz

I’d say you’ve got an install issue with OSX :) I’m on an original fresh install of Lion too, upgrade to ML, upgrade to Mavs, even had a mishap where I whacked some KEXTs and I patched up from the recovery partition, and it _still_ runs this great.

13. theromz macrumors regular

You think people use it cause its good or cause MSFT sucks at upgrading its web browsers.

14. magnumpi macrumors member

Most likely it's just people stuck on Windows XP.

15. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

What's the problem with Mavericks? Runs fantastic on my system and is much more pleasant to use than W7. (I do love W7 don't get me wrong).

W8 would be great and is when you just consider its' performance. The problem comes from it's UI. Give me an option in settings to disable Metro and reinstate the start menu then I'll install it and use it. Until then I'll continue to be happy with W7 and OSX 10.9. W8.1 is definitely not better than Mavericks though. Mavericks just feels so polished and pleasant to use - this is coming from a guy who's spent a decade building and gaming on high end Windows rigs. The only things I find myself using Windows for is doing C programming and gaming. Otherwise if I'm browsing the web, photoshopping etc etc then I'm happier in Mavericks. :)

16. simon48, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Rose colored glasses? Me? Did you see all the negativity in my post? You are the one with the rosy outlook.

IE6 was not good for it's time, it was missing many things, it was riddled with bugs and way too many of the things it did support it rendered incorrectly. The statement that it must have been a good browser because it is still being used is ludicrous.

MS has shown to have really, really bad adoption rates (partially because of their backwards and sideways steps with successors like Vista and Windows 8), XP is still at 30% of all OSs, Windows 7 is at 47% and Windows 8 is at 10%, that is bad. MS also isn't very good at educating their users so many people don't know that they should upgrade. Due to it somewhat existing internally, MS has also had fear of change flourish within its users.

IE6 also didn't have a auto update system (which I don't hold against as those really didn't exist when it came out, newer versions of IE desperately need/needed it though).

All of these factors combined with a giant marketshare of its OS and itself and MS waiting 5 years to release a new IE version have caused it to stick around, not because it was good.

Vista was known for having bad compatibility, blue screening and being a mess (seriously, look at the control panel). Personally I really liked Snow Leopard and its problems were nowhere near as bad or is widespread and severe as Vista's.

Supporting your 12.5 year old OS is a very bad thing (fun fact, XP is pre 9/11, that is insane!), from an innovation point of view and from a business point of view it's a not good at all. Apple not supporting OS X 10.1 is a good thing (do you seriously think that they should be doing this?). Apple is pushing things forward by dropping support for things that are dying. Apple doesn't need to support old OSs as much because they're very good at educating their users and making it easy to upgrade. I mean look at their adoption rates, 10.9 is at 47% of all Mac OSs, in comparison windows 8.1 is at 3.4% of Windows OSs (10.9 was at 5.5% in 24 hours).

Also if MS is so good a supporting their old OSs, why did they stop making new IE versions for it 3 years ago? From your point of view, they're abandoning their OS with 30% marketshare.

For the SimCity thing, am I suppose to be impressed? I don't think MS should have done that, it's making a OS level workaround for bad coding practices. This reinforces my point about MS not moving forwards. Although not changing, not educating their users is one of the ways that they keep customers. In many ways they're afraid of change and innovation making them not so good at it at times, this transfers over to their users which does help them keep customers longer, but it alienates many of the smarter more forward thinking users.

17. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

What about all of Apple's Flops? OS9, the camera they made with kodak, thier gaming machine, their first tablet, and their PDA. Every company has flops

18. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I have never said that Apple is the best consumer electronics company, the best software house... the best at anything. I haven't said that they haven't had flops. I haven't said anything like this on purpose because this is not about Apple or Apple vs Microsoft.

I am disputing what thejadedmonkey said, the ridiculousness that Microsoft is the best software house in the world and how many of their products have had horrible problems, how IE6 was absolutely awful etc. All of my points are to show how Microsoft is nowhere near the best software house in the world maybe at one time, but definitely not now.

While I have made comparisons between Apple and Microsoft my goal is not to be convincing that Apple is better than Microsoft, it is that Microsoft is not the best consumer software company in the world mainly due to many of their bad software mistakes/flops.

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

People have got to learn to use the ignore poster feature.

20. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Ok I see your point more clearly now. :apple:

21. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The Kool-Aid is strong with this one...

22. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Why? I think this spirited dialogue is a good thing.

----------

Eh, I'm not so sure. He's got a point. Each has pros and cons. Sure, I think calling Mavericks "mediocre" is a stretch, but all the complains from Mac fans about Windows are as off-base or more.

Moreoever, there's an awful lot of software stuff that MS has done well. They have a stranglehold on large parts of enterprise markets for a reason.

----------

I think your logic has the tail wagging the dog a bit. It's not so much that Apple educates their users as much as
    A) update functionality is more seamlessly built into the product
    B) the proportion of Mac "enthusiast" users is relatively large, which means that there's a larger segment that chooses to keep up with what's going on

23. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Also remember that OSX is not an apple product per say. Windows is in a league of it's own and it's own OS. So Apple had some help from one of the most rock solid OSes back in the day. I really think Windows has come such a long way and I agree with people when they say it now comes down to personal preference and what you like more.

24. marivaux macrumors member

Er...I mean, it's not good to be an ideologue about these things--historically, there have been some good and bad versions of both operating systems. I liked Windows 3.1 very much, and there were some not-so-great Mac OS versions pre-OS-X. More recently, Windows 7 was okay. I'll also say that I've had some minor annoyances with Mavericks that I haven't had with the last three versions of OS X, so that's kind of irritating.

Overall, though, I'd have to say that OSX is much better, much more stable, much more consistent/pleasing UI, much less susceptible to attack, etc. than Windows has been over the last couple of decades. Once Mac became a Unix front end, it has mostly been great--I'd say that is its main advantage over Windows.

And I've had some truly horrifying experiences with various Windows versions (anyone remember Windows 95?). There's a reason I became a Mac user, and I have had to use a variety of Windows versions over the years.

As far as MS software in general, I'd say it's inconsistent. The annoying thing is that they occasionally come out with a good version of something (say, MS Office). Instead of refining something good, stable and intuitive, they insist on changing it, adding flashy features, making it less usable, releasing versions with a lot of bugs that don't get fixed.--I've never understood this. I think it's mainly a desire to get people to constantly purchase new versions of things.

25. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I 100% agree! I've never understood why some people seem to consider a heated debate to be a argument/fight/flame war, as long as you keep it civil there's no reason to avoid having a long passionate debate.

Yes, they've done a lot of good things, but "best software house in the world"? No way, not even close. That's what got me the most anyway.

Yeah, it is a bit. ;) I still think Apple is better then MS at educating their customers though.