Windows 8 Download & Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeycid, Mar 20, 2013.

1. monkeycid macrumors member

Hi guys,

Following my previous topic about installing Windows 8 without the use of a DVD or USB, I've since found an 8 GB USB pen lying around the house which I've never used and I've had it for at least 5 years.

Immediately I thought "yay" and went over to the Microsoft store and was about to place an order for Windows 8 when a window popped up asking if I wanted help so I decided to chat to a sales assistant before completing the purchase.

I told them that I have a rMBP and wanted to download Windows, etc, but they told me that the download is only for those upgrading to Windows 8 but I don't know if this is true entirely so I want to ask you guys if this is the case.

I've read through the product pages and it does refer to upgrading but it says "for those upgrading" hinting that it is optional to upgrade but not mandatory.

Also the download is to replace that of a DVD or you can choose to have both so one would think you would download the same files that you would've got from the DVD, no?

If anyone can shed some insight on this would be great. I just want a downloadable copy of Windows 8 to copy to my USB and use in BootCamp rather than having to buy a DVD drive for a one-time use.

Edit: Just had another look on the product details and I noticed on the product box it says Upgrade underneath so I guess that rules out downloading Windows 8 from Microsoft.

Is there anywhere I could download Windows 8? Or even 7 for that matter?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Search the web, lots of tutorials but in short, yes you can use an upgrade to do a clean install of w8. Even though I had w7, I deleted the partition completely and clean installed w8 using only the upgrade.

3. monkeycid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

I looked around the web as you mentioned but it seems one needs a copy of Windows installed to download the Windows 8 ISO and then they can do a clean install after they have the ISO downloaded.

The problem I have is getting the ISO without Windows prior.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So sorry, I overlooked that and now see the issue. Maybe someone has a good answer.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

"Upgrade" DVDs or downloads are the full fledged thing. So you can use that "upgrade" for a clean install.

6. monkeycid thread starter macrumors member

Can you confirm that the initial download is the full edition of Windows 8, though?

I am just a little scared of placing an £100 order and then being directed to the Upgrade Assistant.exe which I can't use on a Mac.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Note, I'm going off history, but I believe this is correct since Vista - the download was the full software only the key dictated which version was "activated" ... I have read that MS has been decent w/customer support with W8 and refunds, so if the download didn't work, I could see them refunding the purchase if you call within a day or 2 after purchase reporting the d/l wasn't compatible, etc.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. The key you put it told the software what features to unlock. But each DVD MS sells has the full blown Windows install (even in your computer you are running full Windows, but with features disabled depending on your current key).

10. monkeycid thread starter macrumors member

I am guessing Microsoft Store has changed with the release of Windows 8. I've never used the store before so I can't be sure but I found this bit of information at the bottom of the Windows 8 product page.

"After purchase, you will be prompted to run the Windows 8 setup, which walks you through the steps to download and install. Learn more about privacy and the Upgrade Assistant."

11. monkeycid thread starter macrumors member

I've found a workaround, albeit not one that is often advocated but it seems to work without problems.

I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO which is freely available on the web. I actually found a link posted by a community moderator over at Microsoft Answers website so I am believing it to be legitimate.

I then installed Windows 7 with BootCamp and downloaded (and paid for) Windows 8 ISO using the Upgrade Assistant.exe. I've copied that to my USB and dragged it onto my Mac desktop, removed BootCamp and reinstalled Mac OS X and now I'm in the process of copying the Windows 8 ISO files to BootCamp.

Assuming I don't need to anything different than when I installed 7, Windows 8 should be up and running within the hour (or 2).

12. iferg macrumors newbie

key?

I've been following this thread, as I'd like to install Windows onto my Mac Mini without a DVD drive.
    Did you need a valid Windows 7 product key to do what you did? Can such a key be purchased?