Windows 8, it's on!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DanteMann, Sep 9, 2011.

1. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Please take into consideration that the demo was most likely done with a solid-state drive.;)

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

It does have a SSD.

But even then... My Air doesn't even boot up that fast. I wish it did :/

3. wpotere Guest

And? That is still super fast compared to what it was. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Still, I really doubt that it would boot up that fast in a "real-world" test. That HP laptop was probably custom built to accommodate the demo.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

What is the point?

I came here because I'm a Mac user and enthusiast.

If I wanted to read about Microsoft I'd go to the appropriate forum.

Is there some jealousy or secret admiration going on?

6. blunti macrumors 6502a

pretty impressive. I wonder if win8 is gonna be worth checking out?

7. wpotere Guest

Gee, the thread is labeled "Windows 8". If you didn't want to read about it then why did you click on it? :rolleyes:

Ever think some of us like both? :eek:

8. Sincci macrumors regular

Then why you are reading a subsection of the forum that is called "Windows on the Mac":confused:

9. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Hm, that actually looked to be about 8 seconds to me and, after all, it is effectively just resuming.

It's good that laptops start / restart in less than 15 mins these days, but at modern speeds I think it's time to look for competitive edge elsewhere ...

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Oh well, I only reboot my Mac after updates, so boot time has never really interested me and I have always wondered why it fascinates people so much

My experience with Windows has been that even though the screen shows Windows up and ready, nothing actually works until it has completed its cycle anyway

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wasn't implying that it's a bad thing, merely that there have been some major internal changes in order to get this feature to work.

13. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Probably hibernated to the SSD instead of the Ram.

They could also still be loading a ton of services after the desktop appears. ie. is the machine instantly usable and interactive at that point? The review is not clear on this.
    I’ll wait and see how fast this will be on release day and in real world circumstances with additional applications and user data installed. If it’s still that fast, then I’ll be impressed. But not before.

Exactly.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's exactly right. I only reboot after updates too, otherwise the Mac is sleeping and it wakes up instantly. I don't care about boot time except at work on my Windows servers - they take forever in computer terms, some like 5-8 minutes to be fully ready.

15. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

And Windows XP on an SSD without all this insipid pseudo-technology built in boots in 8 seconds as well. To Desktop.

This FUD has been more fun to watch unfold.

16. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

As I understand it, it's saving the kernel state to disk when it shuts down, e.g. which drivers are loaded, etc. If you're not having to probe hardware and load drivers on startup, that's going to save you quite a bit of time.

17. applefan289 macrumors 68000

18. dennya macrumors regular

dennya

Classy.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If that's your definition of trashy, you need to get out more. :cool:

I wonder how difficult it will be to upgrade a Win7 Bootcamp partition to Windows 8...

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There's a Windows 8 thread in this board somewhere :/

21. wpotere Guest

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Clearly he sits behind a computer all day and reads macrumors only. Sheesh!

22. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I hope there's speed-related benefits to Windows 8... because the Desktop half of the OS is looking really ugly. The Ribbon in Explorer? The new Start menu? The new Start menu I especially hate the look of. I hope you can still press the Windows button and type to search straight away, and that it isn't a return to XP's search-for-the-search box again. I use the Start orb's search function all the time in Windows 7.

23. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Win8 will be something quite different from what we're familiar with and it's good to see that MS is actually trying new things that actually benefits users rather than merely coming up with gimmicks that have limited use... let's face it, who doesn't want a fast booting computer?

Apple took to a different approach with how a machine boots other than how they moved onto EFI instead of BIOS bootstraps. Apple implemented PRAM and a programmable SMC which both functions on a Windows platform is still being handled completely by the OS. I can vouche that Apple has a better boot process which seems to accomplish all the traditional tasks in a better way.

I see Windows 8's sub 10 second boot to be a nice evolution to their current approach. What I'm not clear about is whether that HP laptop incorporates new hardware technology like a separate PRAM-like component or such... or is it being handled entirely at the software (OS) level.

Looking at more current events, Lenovo has figured out how to tweak the boot process to get some of their units down to around 10 seconds as well, touting the fastest booting machines (using Intel's Rapidboot Technology) as of this writing.