Windows 8 on 2010 11" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by UniPro, Sep 14, 2011.

1. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

So being the crazy tech guy that I am I decided to download and try out the Windows 8 Developer preview last night. I also decided to try and get this working on my 11" MBA.

What is working: Keyboard, basic touchpad functions, and wifi all worked out of the box. Display drivers took a little work but I was able to get my Nvidia drivers to install properly.

What isn't working: Sound, Multi-touch recognition on the trackpad, iSight camera, and Bluetooth, among a few other minor things as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has attempted to install Windows 8 yet and if anyone would be willing to help me out getting these things working. Really just want sound and a proper multi-touch but not sure if that's possible.

I'll keep tinkering around for now, and I'll update my progress.

BTW Windows 8 is nice and fast, still prefer Lion though.

2. zerind macrumors member

You realize it's a pre-beta release, right? Not a jab at OSX but just making sure you understand that the developer preview is a FAR from finished version of the OS.

3. minnus macrumors 6502

I will be attempting to install Windows 8 on my bootcamp partition later tonight (2011 13" MBA). I will likely post my results here.

4. DieterRams macrumors regular

Obvious question I guess, but you did this via Bootcamp? Is it possible to install using VMWare as a virtual machine?

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I installed it in a Parallels 7 VM last night but haven't had time to do to much with it. I'll try again tonight. It seemed to choke a bit when trying to shut down, so I might need to tweak the VM settings.

6. UniPro thread starter macrumors regular

UniPro

Oh I'm completely aware of that, I was expecting it to be rough around the edges and to spend a lot of time tinkering with stuff to get things working properly. I love this kind of challenge :D. I also ran the Windows 7 developer preview so I have prior experience with beta OS's

I downloaded the Bootcamp windows support software but outside of that I did everything manually. The Bootcamp software is how I got my display drivers to install.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I just completed the install and setup of Windows 8 on my 15" MBP.

It's really fast and there's not many bugs considering this is a very early version. I'm going to enjoy this OS.

8. komoornik macrumors regular

Just install the other drivers? Everything works on Win 7 and it pretty much should work here.

Coz this preview is really a Windows 7 with added Metro UI and some few tweaks.

OT: I tried Win 8 on my mum's HP 6910p - I'm really excited about the boot times.

9. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Any tips you can give us, or no surprises here?

10. UniPro thread starter macrumors regular

UniPro

I tried just installing the other drivers, some fail, others report successful installation but won't work. Still can't complain though, everything works pretty well and the whole OS flies.

11. komoornik macrumors regular

Check the youtube - search for the macbook air Windows Developers Preview.

Hint: try enabling Windows 7 compatibility mode on those drivers.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

13. UniPro thread starter macrumors regular

UniPro

Not sure why I didn't try that earlier. I feel stupid. LOL. Got everything else working now. Thanks for the tip!

14. iphone3gs110 macrumors newbie

iphone3gs110

15. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

It's not working for me either. Keeps giving me a message that "Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7."

16. Shael macrumors newbie

win8 crazy graphic glitches

on my 2011 MBA 13" i7 I actually have screwed up visuals, I get the screen divided in two (in landscape) and the exact same thing mirrored below - so I can never see the bottom half of the screen. The intelHD drivers won't install either - says "This computer does not meet minimum requirements...."

Also I can't do compatibility mode.. when I try and click " Run Program" nothing happens..
    anyone else?

17. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Same problem for me. It works if I connect the MBA to a display but only that External display and not the MBA screen.

Looking on twitter, some people did get it working so if a few people nag them, they may release how it do it soon.

18. Shael macrumors newbie

Ahh.. good to know i'm not the only one.. i thought maybe my video hardware was programmed to melt if it smelt microsoft..

Please let us know if you figure out what the problem is..

I have a feeling x86 version would work.. but i rather wait for x64

19. Richard70 macrumors newbie

Same here. I wonder if it's a 13" screen problem. Please let us know if there is a workaround posted.

20. omnikohh macrumors newbie

21. iphone3gs110 macrumors newbie

iphone3gs110

I try all Method

i think this is the best method (For temporary) some driver not working ... but tab click and right click worked ...

thanks a lot

22. omnikohh macrumors newbie

did you solved graphic driver problem with this? fully work x me

23. adbird macrumors newbie

Has anyone else gotten this error when trying to move the files to usb in boot camp? Can someone help? I've tried with two different flash drives and it does not want to work.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

24. qwerf123 macrumors regular