Windows How I Dislike Thee, Let Me Count The Ways

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Huntn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Huntn, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I realize I am using ancient Vista so maybe this is not even a valid critique for todays new and improved Windows 7 but I'd still like to vent. :)

I've been running 32 bit Vista for over 3 years on my MBP (see signature). Vista has been acting a little wonky lately, this despite running a System Utility on a regular basis and doing nothing but just average computer based tasks, start a program and hope expect to get online with it. So last night off and on for about 5 hours:

1. Started Vista for a Windows only work scheduling program called Navtec PBS.
    2. Could not get online with it. :(
    3. Network and Sharing Page indicates I was online with a good connection.
    4. Problem Program requires the latest Windows Net.Framework program, but Windows Update won't launch.
    4. Restart Windows and hope this helps.
    5. Windows Update won't launch. :(
    6. Restore System to an earlier Date.
    7. Windows Update Works! Security and Net.framework updates installed! :)
    8. Restart- Now computer won't boot up. :mad:
    9. Insert Windows Install Disk to "Repair Computer".
    10. Message: Windows can't Auto Repair Computer. :mad:
    11. Boot off Windows Install Disk and System Restore to even earlier date.
    12. Windows now starts, but can't get online with the original program or even Firefox. :mad:
    13. Network and Sharing Page shows I have a good online connection.
    14. Task manager shows both Problem Program and Firefox are running, but neither pop up on the desktop. :mad::mad:
    15. In absolute disgust, boot into Snow Leopard and curse the name Winblows! Ah Snow Leopard caresses me, soothing away the frustration...:D

Fortunately there is a browser based less capable version of this problem program I can use to put in my schedule request for the next month. When I booted into MacOSX Snow Leopard, surprise, it starts right up with absolutely no issues. Can you imagine that? ;) This is the strongest argument for the MacOS, it always works (least for me). If you had asked me a month ago, I'd have told you "Vista works pretty well". So much for that theory.

If you are still reading, I don't plan on upgrading to W7 until I get my new MBP (in the next couple of months) however in the mean time, I am thinking of upgrading to 64bit Vista (the 64 bit is included in my version of Vista Ultimate). I'm using Vista for 2 reasons- the work related program I've all ready mentioned and to play games not available on the Mac when the itch strikes me.

1.Would there be a reason why I would not want to upgrade to 64 bit Vista?
    2. Is there an upgrade path that maintains programs all ready installed? Thanks!

Here is the list of prominent programs I have been running on Vista: Vampire Masquerade, UT2003, Steam, Half Life, UT2004, DAO, Star Wars Knights of the Republic, Oblivion, Fraps, Acronis True Image II, Firefox, iTunes, Safari.

Windows advice sincere and sarcastic is always welcomed! :D

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

3. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Yea... install Windows 7. It's so much better than Vista and even comparable with Snow Leopard.

Anyway, while you're on Vista:
    1. Some 16-bit applications will not work. It's not a big problem, most if not all of your software should work, the only problems you might run into is if you use some older software (from the 90s).

2. You can't upgrade directly from 32 to 64 bit. You'll have to do a clean install and then reinstall stuff.

Also, the 64-bit versions of Windows Vista/7 are MUCH more stable than the 32-bit versions in my experience.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This is why you DON'T upgrade NOW.

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i used to loathe vista.. well still do, however win 7 is way better! So much more functional!

I would not go as far as saying it was comparable to SL tho...:p

6. Huntn, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

The scenario I've described above is so consistent with Windows every since I've been using it Windows 95. The inference is that you could never see this in W7? I guess I'll have to experience it to believe it. ;)

Thanks for this info! Just remember I'd been using Vista for 3 years before this problem reared it's ugly head. Has anyone here used W7 for that long? ;)

My Windows install is broken and I would like a functional Windows on my Mac for the next couple of months before I upgrade my MBP. My last Vista install worked for 3 years so I am considering reinstalling it for now, but this time using 64 bit Vista.

7. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

W7 64 bit ultimate edition is a beast plain and simple, don't walk but run to your computer and update.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Reading comprehension fail on my part. If you must upgrade, you can get the Win 7 Professional and run your legacy programs. Win 7 is leaps and bounds over even XP.

9. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

No problemo!

Now... on a Mac...using bootcamp... is there a way to transfer a Windows installation from one Mac to another and save your programs/data? :D:D This might tempt me to upgrade to Windows 7 now if I thought I could save some work later.

All I want to do is play games and run that other stupid program I mentioned. Which W7 version should I be purchasing? Thanks!

10. rturner2 macrumors 6502

haha. So true!! :D

11. Huntn, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Well today I upgraded to a MBP 2.2 i7, so it's full steam ahead on updating to Windows 7 Home Premium edition. No this means nothing in my regard of Winblows (just had to say it! :)). Now maybe W7 is wonderful, but I was saying that Vista was pretty good (3 years in) until it revealed it's true colors, until just before I started this thread. Yes, I ran a utility suite on it regularly. :p

I was told that I could use a program called Winclone to transfer my windows Vista partition to the new machine, but since it's dinked up (the Vista install), I'm thinking it would be just better to start from scratch. What is a little annoying is that I purchased the multi-license Home Premium Upgrade version and was told that for it to work I first have to have Vista installed on my new machine, but the girl at the MS store told me that if I make sure my computer is offline when I install Vista, I should be able to get both Vista and then W7 finished in about an hour. Somehow I doubt it. It was a 3 license upgrade version of 7 for $123 vs a single license full for $150 or so.

I plan on putting my previous MBP in the marketplace soon. It is a MBP, 2.2 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 8600M GT (128MB VRAM). It's been a trooper, in great shape, cover protected with a plastic case, no dings if anyone wants to contact me via PM. :):)

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I fix Windows for a living, I feel your pain.

As for Vista, it was nothing but a pig and anyone who disagrees never had to use it for real work. Pre-service pack 1 it couldn't even transfer large files from one drive to another (and thankfully since that's why I now own Macs!)

Windows 7 is better, but its not this amazing perfect piece of software that everyone makes it out to be. Its still Windows, it still has many bugs and security holes and weirdnesses about it. Mac OS in my opinion is still a far better OS. There is seriously nothing on Windows that I think is better, not one thing. (If you're a gamer thats a different story).

Anyway I would suggest upgrading to 7 for when you have to use Windows. Its the best version of Windows that was released in the past 10 years.

13. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Thanks for your perspective! :) All I can say is that since MacOSX has come along, I have never had the bad experience I've had on every version of Windows I've used. The seemingly small problem that snowballs into something bigger, something no utility suite will fix, that seems to require a clean install to correct. In fact once when I had a new XP driven computer under warranty and one day I could not get it to go online. I called up tech support and they immediately launched into clean install mode, the universal fix for Windows. :p

14. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Opinion is the keyword

15. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Really, what's yours?

16. TheMacBookPro, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Just, er, about your sig: VRAM is usually measured in bytes (ie MB/GB) not hertz (MHz, GHz) ;)

17. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Did you say that right? It would be 1GB VRAM, right? I'll fix. :)

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

...It has speed and capacity, capacity is generally more important.

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I manage over 35,000 users running Windows 7, also two huge data centres with the core of the physical & virtual servers running Windows 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 & 2008 R2. No problems at all.

If you have pain then blame your infrustructre & IT Admins.

As for the thread starter running Vista, why? Should have got Windows 7 the day it came out!

20. TheMacBookPro, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Oh snap, got confused there for a moment. Should be MB/GB not MHz/GHz :p Sorry about that :)

OP originally had 1GHz on his sig, which would have been incorrect either way (6750M has 900MHz for the memory if I recall correctly).

Like I said, people usually compare the memory of a graphics card/chip, not the speed.

Just being tad bit nitpicky here. Don't mind me :p

21. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I needed to correct that and you brought it to my attention. Thanks! :)

My vista install is wiped... of course I am selling that computer so I wiped the partition and put a fresh copy of Snow Leopard on it. Now I'm working on getting W7 installed on my new machine here.

22. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Check your new thread. I typed out quite a lengthy reply on how to get it working ;) (500 words!)

I think you'll be quite pleased with Windows 7. Vista and W7 is like night and day (although tbh I never, and still don't, had/have any issues with Vista- still got a VAIO SZ running it fine!) :cool:

23. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Much appreciated. Thanks! :)

24. infidel69 macrumors regular

Me neither, I'd say it's alot better.

25. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I ran Vista for 3 years with no issues until 2 weeks ago when it crapped out on me. Let's give 7 a couple of years. ;)