Windows laptop is not as scary as you think. Just give it a try.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by hajime, Oct 16, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 603

After using my Thinkpad with Windows 10 pre-installed for about a week, it is not as scary as I thought. It is more fun and interesting to use than Mac OS. That might be true or just because I had been using Mac OS for so many years that the new UI is refreshing. I hope I will continue to have good experience with Windows 10 and my Thinkpad.

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

I use a Lenovo Ideapad 710s, which is faster and better than a MacBook Air. Installed Windows 10 Pro on this and I'm pretty happy. The screen is so much better compared to the MacBook Air. Good keyboard. I have the newer version with a i5-7200U Kaby Lake processor. It supports H.265 decoding in hardware. A really nice machine.

3. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I was stressed about buying my first Windows machine last year when I made my first PC purchase since the Windows XP days. I found I was worried about it for nothing. You see a lot of Windows bashing in the main section and folks who say they would rather have a lobotomy than use Windows. But people need to get over it. The first step is realizing that MacOS really isn't that great and Windows 10 really isn't that bad and get over it :)

4. niji Contributor

niji

thanks for this.

what software do you use to combat viruses etc?

5. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

The built-in Windows Defender and common sense works for me. If you’re not deliberately disabling all protections such as UAC and don’t download stuff from the shady side of the Internet, the current Windows architecture keeps you rather safe.

6. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, Windows Defender is fine. If you DO have a tendency to wander into certain areas of the internet, I recommend BitDefender. Not expensive (yearly subscription), and it covers viruses, malware, ransomeware, etc.

7. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have a combo of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always had one foot planted firmly in the windows world, due to my work requirements of supporting servers and workstations. Windows does some things better then macOS, and conversely, macOS does some things better then windows. I'm in windows on my MBP quite frequently, and it works well enough, but I do enjoy the macOS/Apple ecosystem.

As for antivirus, I don't do anything on the net, other then tech sites, and work, so windows defender and malwarebytes. As I mentioned however my kids use the laptop on occasion and having a bit more protection may be advisable.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

One problem is unintentional visiting of doggy sites due to typing error of URLs. Some sites intentionally have very similar URLs than famous sites with one letter different. A typo leads to those sites.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2018 ---
    What is UAC? Is Windows Defender automatically enabled and are the default settings are good enough to get the job done?

10. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

UAC = User Account Controls which are specifically designed to prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. Unless there is another acronym meant here. These are enabled by default.

I always update my Windows Defender Virus and Protection Updates at the begging and end of each day. I am not really sure how often they update on their own if you don't. It is just a habbit I have gotten myself into.

Spend some time exploring Settings-->Update & Security-->Windows Security-->Open Windows Security and check out the various settings and getting familiar. There are settings for real time protection, cloud delivered protection, ransomeware protection, etc.

11. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Yep, that’s it. Having it on makes it harder for malware to make undetected changes as even if you’re an admin, you’re running on user-level token by default and elevation to admin privileges is explicitly asked.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If that's a concern or an issue, then definitely get another app, I've used Avast in the past and I've heard good things about Bitdefender so try one of those.

13. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Windows Defender, occasional scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, never a problem. I like the Emsisoft & Kaspersky scanners as they are standalone on demand only, so have no interaction with the system. Also use AdGuard adblocker and always a secure VPN.

I also use VoodooShield, which works rather the opposite of most AV in that it only allows "whitelisted" applications to run, anything else VoodooShield blocks unless you explicitly approve the application. Think of it like UAC on steroids that also references VirusTotal, it's a very smart idea...

Note; For such whitelisting application you do need some knowledge how the application works, although for me VoodooShield has been completely painless and I have the application set to always on, which blocks everything regardless of the systems connectivity unless already whitelisted.

Much more here:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...od-enough-to-protect-windows-laptops.2147611/

Q-6

14. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

There are also a couple of ways that you can prevent that at the network level (maybe network isn't the correct term). One is the Lenovo WiFi security. I don't use this, but it is a cloud-based service that helps differentiate between safe sites and malicious ones and should help prevent accidentally visiting malicious ones due to typos.

One that I do use comes with Eero, which I use for wireless around the house. I am guessing it is a similar design, but there is an Advanced Security feature that prevents access to sites that host malicious content, viruses, botnets, phishing sites and more. Every once in a while I will get a browser pop-up preventing me from visiting a site. Once it was in error where the site was in fact legitimate. I submitted that and they fixed it within a couple days.

There are also additional safe filters that can you can apply for all, groups such as family or guest or for individuals. These include blocking adult, illegal or criminal or violent.

I use uBlock Origin. Is there any benefit to AdGuard over uBlock Origin? Or do they pretty much do the same thing equally well?

15. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

You've used Windows 10 "for about a week" and you conclude that it isn't scary. rotflmao.gif

I've been using (and continue to) Windows since before Windows 1.0. If you aren't scared, you should be, but I won't try to convince you. Enjoy your new ThinkPad!

The last version of Windows that I'll run on my own personal equipment is Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro (with Win 7 tweaks aka Windows 9).

16. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

For another completely anecdotal experience:
    I was using a Thinkpad T480s for a couple of days while my late 2013 rMBP was getting its battery replaced. Absolutely everything about that computer except for active directory single sign on was worse and/or messed with my workflow:
    - Disk operations were perceivably slower.
    - The screen (FullHD) didn't provide enough real estate to properly work with multiple applications simultaneously.
    - Royal TS in its .NET version is a pain in the butt when it comes to performance compared to Royal TSX on the Mac, and it's got menus all over the place preventing you from actually seeing a useable size of the remote machine's GUI.
    - You have to install a bunch of stuff to get a useful Bash CLI (which is a necessity for me to do some of my work well), and it's not conveniently integrated with the rest of the system.
    - Conversely, you have to jump through hoops not to get a bunch of games and ads in your Start menu on an Enterprise licensed operating system.
    - It's 2018 and wake from hibernation was worse in Windows than in my Ubuntu machine at home: Logging on through Windows Hello froze the computer irrevocably anytime I tried after the computer had woken from anything deeper than regular sleep mode.
    - I actually lost unsaved work for the first time in literally years.

17. lcseds macrumors 6502a

18. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Let me start by reiterating that my post was written to give some kind of indication that the subjective experience may differ between individuals. :)

Yes and no: I didn't have the gall to demand that my employer purchase a non-standard laptop with a 4k screen because my regular computer needed a service. What's objectively true about this statement is that the regular Windows set of menu and status bars tend to take up more screen real estate than the Mac's system-wide menu bar; especially with the option to run applications in fullscreen and/or split fullscreen mode, where everything basically gets out of your way.

Earlier in my life, when I was forced to run Windows, I tweaked it until it behaved somewhat sanely in this regard, sometimes using third-party tools, etc, but that wasn't an option here, so I got the full disturbing picture of the Windows out-of-the-box experience on "low-res" wide screens.

I would bet that 99.99% of Windows users do experience needlessly sluggish software on a regular basis. Since I do maintain Windows-based software for a living and work with colleagues who are deeply entrenched in the Windows world of their own will, I know not much has changed there since I personally made the switch to an arguably more comfortable desktop environment. :)
    The real estate issue, though, is more related to a combination of system resolution and design paradigms, as stated in the previous paragraph.

My point is that I shouldn't have to, and there obviously are a bunch of operating systems out there where you don't have to start out by cleaning out crap - especially in a system that's intended for business use and where you've paid additional money for business functionality.

What happened was related to the system repeatedly crashing horribly after leaving it to rest for a while. It probably says more of the interaction of Lenovo hardware drivers with the Windows operating system than about the Windows base system per se (and it speaks very favourably about the two Macs I've owned since 2010). But it also says that a Windows business laptop aimed squarely at professional users in 2018 has the same kind of issues I considered normal (for Windows) in 1998. There's a reason for why every Windows user no matter their competence level knows that you force shutdown your laptop by holding the power button for a few seconds... :)

19. Winterfibre macrumors regular

I use w10 all day and is very stable and i leave the thing on 24/7.

20. Matz Contributor

Matz

I have a ThinkPad i7 at work, using a docking station and dual monitors - and it works fine, mostly. When it doesn't, our helpful IT manager takes care of it for me when restarting doesn't work :). Most of our settings (UAC?) are locked down pretty tightly, per corporate policy, so there's not a whole lot I can do on my own, which is probably just as well.

As a lifetime Mac user, I have to say I can comfortably do what I need to do in Windows 7 and in Windows 10. At home I have an iMac with Parallels, for those rare occasions when I need to run Windows at home.

To me, Windows 10 is an improvement in that world. I find it to be less refined than MacOS, but still works pretty well, IMHO.

I prefer MacOS, hands down. So that's what I spend my own money on. But I can work in Windows. Not as pleasant for me, but that's hardly what I'd call a problem. It does the job.

21. Queen6, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

If I'm lucky macOS stays up for 3-4 days before issue's occur, W10 never finches, equally my systems have no corporate interference. My 13 year old uses my old Surface Book and again amazingly she has no issues either...

The days of OS X being super stable have long gone as Apple's focus is not professional usage and the accompanying workloads. At home my Mac's generally behave in the field on an engineering project 3-4 day's they are on their knees, only solution - Restart or Windows 10...

Q-6

22. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

win 10 on my laptop has worked flawlessly since day one.

with my macos i have crashes quite often. now blackmagic design egpu - which should work well with macbooks - is causing the whole system to crash everytime i eject it - desktop refeshes and apps that were open restarting again... ”safari webkit” (or so) was causing the error...

23. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Oddly enough, the least stable of OS's on my devices has become IOS 12. I constantly have apps crash, including mail. I got frustrated to the point where I completely wiped the phone and re-installed fresh, hoping it would resolve the issues, but no. Then I hoped that an update would solve it and was excited when 12.01 dropped, but no.

I can't say that I have had any problem with Windows 10 in the past year or so I have been using it. Maybe my opinion of Windows is a little less jaded than some since I stopped using it in the XP days and missed the whole Vista, Windows 7/8 transition to 10. But since picking up a Windows machine again in Aug '17, it has been problem free for me.

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

25. Queen6, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

I transitioned to the Mac for professional use due to Windows being so very problematic, ironically I find myself back with Windows due to the instability of macOS and the poor design choices Apple currently offers for it's computing line.

I have tried multiple Windows OEM solutions, although all very different the one common denominator was the stability of Windows 10 both Home & Pro. From the first sub $300 2 in 1 to just look at the OS to my current hex core primary (ASUS ROG GL703GS) rerolled as a workstation.

Personally I am completely disappointed how Apple has literally sold out, nickel & dimes it's customers to the max, has zero regard for it's dwindling professional user base who once so staunchly supported Apple. The Mac has just become an appliance with obsolesce built in by de facto.

Once I would have unreservedly recommend the Mac, today in 2018 not a chance and that's with over two decades of usage. The Mac is now best described as being pretentious, trite, worst of all unreliable...

As I recently stated to an Apple employee visiting from Cupertino "Apple is no longer worthy of my custom, both professionally & personally" Steve Jobs once stated that Apple would never produce Cheap Garbage, Tim Cook should revisit this phrase and purge the garbage...

Q-6